AutoStick Transmission - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Newbie Check-In First Post? Make your big introduction here.

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot
doneil is on a distinguished road
AutoStick Transmission

As a new owner of a Jeep Patriot. I have a question about how the Autostick transmission works. There is a plus and minus which raises or lowers the gear ratio. The salesman did not seem to knowmuch about it and it is not in the books with the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM
POTM June 08

Ride: 2008 Patriot, 2008 Compass & Precedent i2 Golfcart
Wade will become famous soon enough
Welcome to the JeepPatriot.com forum Doneil... Sounds to me you have already got the AutoStick figured out. Basically, To shift up, tap the knob toward the plus symbol, and to shift down, toward the minus symbol. On the instrument cluster you'll see which gear you are in displayed inside a small circle. To disengage the AutoStick, pull the knob toward the left and hold it there for a count of two, and you'll see the small circle disappear. Hope that helps answer your question.

Again, welcome to the forum. Post us some pics of the new ride when you can...

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x2
Sun Burst Orange Pearl, 2.4L, CVTII w/Auto-Stick, 26E Pkg, Pebble Beige Yes Essentials Seats
2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4x2 Surf Blue Pearl, 2.4L, CVTII w/Auto-Stick, 26E Pkg, Slate Gray Yes Essentials Seats
Old 05-27-2008, 03:44 AM

Ride: 08 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 CVTII, 08 Jeep JK 4-door
stingerbtry is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to stingerbtry
Welcome. I had the info in my manual and for mine (which works and is stated in the manual) you push and hold to the right to disengage and put it back in drive.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:52 PM

Dwartz Farquhartz is on a distinguished road
A lot of people have asked me the purpose of the AutoStick. As far as I understand, it's simply a way to force the transmission to change where it alters the shift points by engine speed.

In other words, the CVT usually changes the ratios at a given point, varied somewhat depending on how much throttle you use. Using the AuoStick, you force the transmission to rev higher (or lower if you're a sadist) to get more of a sporty feel.

The CVT, which I understand has really been improved from it's original iteration, uses a belt and pulleys instead of gears. In the 6 days of ownership, I have noticed that there is a certain amount of lag from a dead stop unless you really goose it - I can put up with that in exchange for a few more mpg.

I also read in the owner's manual that you should use full throttle acceleration "within the constraints of local laws" during break-in, so I have certainly followed my owner's manual in that respect. It really changes the 2.4 from a little buzzy thing to a pretty powerful engine.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Ride: 2011 Jeep Patriot North Edition
brimac55 is on a distinguished road
new to the Autostick feature - do you need to use it and if so when?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:06 AM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Ride: Jaguar X-type 2.5 4x4
tiptronic has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to tiptronic
It can be used as an engine braking aid for long steep hill descents. Or just to have a little manual fun!!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:43 PM

Ride: 2008 Patriot 4x2 2.4 CVT
Ignatz is a jewel in the rough
I use mine to save gas. When travelling slow under a light load I notch it up a gear and the rpms drop significantly.

Also when pulling away from a tollgate. Amble through at about 30, notch it into 5 and hit the cruise. When the rpms get up there I notch to 6 and when its levels off I hit Drive.

Ditto Tiptronic on the hills.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 AM

Ride: 2013 Wrangler. Owned 2 Patriots.
Afmcronnie will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Afmcronnie
I use it on downgrades to keep the speed down without dragging the brakes. Also it comes in handy on the freeway. When the cruise control is engaged, and you come onto a hill, you can translate it into 6 and keep the revs down and still hold the speed close to your set point. The ETC programming on the Pat shuts off fuel flow to the injectors above 1500 rpm with no throttle input detected, so I also use the Autostick to keep the rpms above 1500 when decelerating off the freeway or on a long downslope with a stop at the bottom.

My Jeep won a war. Your Honda cuts my grass...

The Earth is covered 80% by water, Jeep covers the rest.

Many vehicles will get you into remote places, a Wrangler will get you home....
Old 07-02-2011, 04:54 PM

Ride: 2009 "Jeep Green" Patriot 2.4L CVT
Stonent is on a distinguished road
I find gear 2 and 4 pretty much useless. So if I'm playing with it I go 1 (nudge nudge) 3 (nudge nudge) 5 > 6 > D (sort of like 7)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.