Flush Radiator / Coolant - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot
meridianjumper is on a distinguished road
Question Flush Radiator / Coolant

I know, I know, this may be a stupid question but I am going to ask it because I do not know the answer.

I usually do all the maint. and repair on all my cars but I am scratching my head on this one. My 2008 Pat is ready to have the coolant removed and replaced with new. I have all the correct fluids to put back in it as required in the owners manual.

The problem is that I am having an issue finding the drain plug for the radiator. Usually they are located on the bottom of the radiator but I cannot seem to find it. I have removed the large plastic cover from the bottom of the Pat to allow me to see up in there but I cannot find the plug. Can someone give me a hand and let me know if I am just blind or exactly where it is located? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Ride: Jaguar X-type 2.5 4x4
tiptronic has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to tiptronic
Coolant change every 60,000 miles.....
Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM

Ride: Jeep Patriot 2.0 CRD
Pat is on a distinguished road
Tiptronic has made a very good point, the coolant should last for many miles/years without being changed or tampered with.

There should be no need to change coolant unless you have developed problems such as a leak. Maybe it is best just left alone.

You know that saying "if it aint broke dont fix it"
Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
I think you just have to pull the lower radiator hose to drain it. I've noticed more and more OEM radiators don't have a drain plug. I guess it's a cost savings thing. My wife's GMC has the drain plug bung, but it has a plastic plug glued into it, flush, no handles or anything.

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Ride: 2008, 4x4, FDI, Manual like it should be...
wildthing is on a distinguished road
There is a drain plug, I used it to drain the rad for installing the oil cooler kit. It is on the far passenger side of the rad (left side), and not readily accessible. I removed the bumper cover in order to access it. Maybe it can be done without removing the bumper cover, but it is really not difficult to remove, and after that emptying the rad is a breeze...
Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 PM

SkinsFan1212 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
There is a drain plug, I used it to drain the rad for installing the oil cooler kit. It is on the far passenger side of the rad (left side), and not hid headlights readily accessible. I removed the bumper cover in order to access it. Maybe it can be done without removing the bumper cover, but it is really not difficult to remove, and after that emptying the rad is a breeze...
Still a paint to have to remove that to get to it though =P
Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 AM

Ride: 2008, 4x4, FDI, Manual like it should be...
wildthing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan1212 View Post
Still a paint to have to remove that to get to it though =P
Yes, but removing the bumper cover is not that difficult, and maybe there is a way to do it without removing the bumper cover, maybe someone here will know how.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Ride: 2008 Red Patriot, FDII
dixiedawg is just really nice
Your coolant fluid might retain it's antifreeze properties for a long time, but the anti-corrosive properties only last 2-3 years. So your coolant might not freeze, but you might end up losing the heater core or the radiator due to rust. So even if you have it tested, and it's still good to -50 F, you still might want to change it to prevent the parts in the system from rusting.

Only the mediocre are at their best all the time
Old 12-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Hose_Head is on a distinguished road
Jiffy Lube person inadvertently mixed green into ours, did have to remove the entire bumper cover to access the drain plug. Total pain. Also, be careful with petcock as made of plastic.

Quarter turn, then pull out very gently.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM

Ride: 5 Speed 4x2 silver Limited
kanus is on a distinguished road
Do you only have to remove the portion of the cover over the bumper or do you have to remove the entire bumper grill assembly?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 PM

DavidAl is on a distinguished road
I removed the entire bumper. It's really not that difficult.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 PM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.0CVT (base!) Stone White
DryCreek is on a distinguished road
OK, just finished the required five year drain and refill of the radiator. After spending hours underneath it - removed plastic "skid plate" and all lower fasteners from the bumper cover, I came to the conclusion that this is truly a stupid design.

I could get the drain plug turned through about 30 degrees, but not enough to get flow. Knowing how these Chrysler plugs love to break the guide ears off, I decided to take another tack.

Remove battery and battery tray. Remove lower hose and then radiator cap. Remove heater supply hose from back of engine block. Using air regulated to 40#, carefully blow all coolant onto your garage floor. Using rag and air pressure, blow out the remaining coolant through the radiator cap connection. Reconnect all hoses. Use turkey baster to remove all coolant from overflow tank. Refill using 50/50 mix of G05 and distilled water. While Patriot is warming up out on the garage apron, use hose to dilute/spread spilled coolant into yard. Top off coolant once the thermostat opens. While floor is drying, consume yet another cold beer. Replace Patriot in second bay of garage, install radiator cap, then bring your truck into first bay for A/C blower removal/replacement. When wife is getting into her car (3rd bay) and asks what all of the water is from, explain that the garage floor was "dirty" and "needed to be hosed off". Enjoy more beer.
Hers: 2003 2500 SLT, QC, LB, ETH, DEE,
Other: 2010 Kubota MX4700 with FEL, 1977 Kubota L185.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM

legnayre is on a distinguished road
Not a long time ago I could read in other forum that the drain plug can be accesed removing the passenger wheelhouse splash shield. In three or four month I'll try it and I'll tell you if I got it.

Have anybody tried in this way?

Regards.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 PM

Ride: 2014 patriot sport fwd 5 speed manual
2014patriotdriver is on a distinguished road
My 14 pat states i have 10 year 150,000 mile antifreeze

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-17-2013, 05:56 PM

ValorHeart is on a distinguished road
What type of coolant your pat 2014 pat use? could you look at the service manual? this is very interesting, 10 years...
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, engine, flush, radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.