Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 225/75R16 on 16" Alloys - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Suspension and Tires Bigger Tires? Lifts? Discuss it here!
Sponsored by Discount Tire

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 PM

Ride: 2008 Patriot FDII Ltd.
goser is on a distinguished road
Cool Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 225/75R16 on 16" Alloys

Well, my long hunt for new rubber is over, and boy am I tired!

Sorry that this post turned out to be wordy, but I figured I would recount the whole experience. It shouldn't take as long to read as it took to figure out the right tire and rim combo!

I wanted to go with the largest tire I could, with a nice aggressive all terrain tread. Money was a bit of an issue at first, but I knew I couldn't get through the winter with my worn stock SR/A's. I first tried a set of Motomaster Total Terrain A/T's as they were cheap and perform fairly well on the work truck, but the 245/65R17 wouldn't bolt on because it hit the rear strut mount on my RRO lifted FDII. Strike 1.

The next thought was to get a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's in a 235/65R17 as I have had them in the past and was very pleased with them. However, cash flow was still a problem, so I decided to stick with tires I could get at Canadian Tire as they are offering 12 months no payments on tires. The next best thing seemed to be a Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour in a 235/70R17, but at 30" around I wasn't sure they would fit, and as they are not a stock tire I would incur a restocking fee if they didn't. Strike 2.

Still looking at the Silent Armour because of it's high rating on tirerack, I discovered that it was available in a 245/65R17 even though it wasn't listed on the Canadian Tire website. I started thinking about wheel spacers, but didn't really want to spend the extra money on them. I also started to think about whether a 245 treadwidth might be a bit much for the patriot in the snow. Then one day, as if by magic, I was browsing tirerack for any options I had overlooked, when I realized that I had been missing the "commercial traction" group of tires... Lo and behold the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac ranked #1, and was available in a 225/75R16! Now I just needed to find some 16" alloy rims!

I spent some time searching the local classifieds, but most of the aftermarket rims available had too much backspacing to work on the 'Riot, and I certainly didn't want to have to buy new rims _and_ spacers. So I dug up a wheel spacer catalogue online and began searching through which other vehicles used a 5x114.3mm bolt pattern, and, for good measure, a 67.1mm centre bore. Hyundai Santa Fe and Hyundai Tuscon both came up as good options, but when I went to the local boneyard to look at them they just didn't appeal. That's night I was out driving when I saw the rims I wanted on a taxi that was waiting to turn left... they looked Moab-ish, and I recognized the vehicle as one from my list of acceptable rims! I ran home and checked the car-part website and there were some available just around the corner, and significantly less than the Hyundai rims. And at 16x6.5 with a +40 offset, I figured they would be perfect. 10 points to whoever recognizes what vehicle they come from!

So with rims in hand I ordered some Dorman tire pressure sensors from rockauto and my new tires from Canadian Tire, and as of Friday I've been riding high on my new Duratrac 225/75R16's!

Pros:
Great traction so far in the freezing snane
Moderately Priced
Look Awesome

Cons:
They are a little squeamish for steering but reviews say this dissapates in time
They do rub at the inside rear of the tire about 1/4 turn before full lock (I'll probably investigate spacers sometime in the future)
UPDATE: 25mm spacers cured rub http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86525

Clearance to the spring perch. Lots of room left... gives me hope that the 235/70R17's probably would have fit, although the rub would be worse.

A Tread pic:

More Glamour Pics:

Closeup of the new tires/rims:

Last edited by goser; 12-06-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Spacers installed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 AM

Ride: 2007 Patriot Bright Silver Metal
BWheeler is on a distinguished road
Looks perfect for driving on snow especially if it has great traction...
Just find a way to solve the rubbing so you can ride it with no worries...
Old 12-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 FDII and it is White
WV_Patriot is on a distinguished road
Nice tires. Let me know what fixes your rub problem. Might steal the idea if it is works.

Old Mods: Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T-S 225/70R17 No longer installed.

Future Mods: hitch, roof rack, off-road lights, possible front and rear bumper
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 AM

Ride: 2012 Compass Limited, 28F FDII Sun/Sound 430N
Tyler-98-W68 has a spectacular aura about
I have the GY Wrangler Territories, virtually the same tire, you will love them, be able to go through deep snow and ice no problem. A wee bit noisey but its a decent tradeoff considering their performance.
235/65/17 Discoverer AT/3 Tires | LED High/Low Beam Conversion | 20" 240w LED Lightbar | Magnaflow Muffler | K&N Intake | RRO Lift + RR Winch Bumper Kit + Light Mount | Smittybuilt XRC8 Synthetic Cable Winch | Northstar AGM Deepcycle Battery | ull Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS | 1.25" Spacers Front & Rear | Midland Portable CB Radio | Wilson "Little Wil" Antenna | Weathertech Front/Rear Mats
Old 12-14-2010, 03:04 PM

I'm glad you're happy with the Territories; to be honest I had them on my last truck and it made me wary about getting wranglers again because I found their wet traction lacking. These ones seem a little better so far, but I'll need more hours with them to really compare. It makes me wonder though if the store-branded tires (Territory, Authority) use a different rubber compound than the rest.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Sept 2009 POTM

Ride: '14 Cherokee TH
UA_who is a jewel in the rough
They look great Gosar.
And my guess for the rims would be from a Dodge vehicle... smaller size...
Maybe a Dodge Avenger? or a Caravan??

Did you get a 5th tire for the spare too? or are you sticking with the stock spare?

'14 White Cherokee TH------------Mods: Nuttin' yet
Old 12-15-2010, 10:13 AM

Good guess on the rims, but they are not from a Chrysler vehicle! I had assumed at first that the donor vehicle would be something like an Avenger or Caliber, but with the trend towards larger wheels it was difficult to find alloys in a 16" size; all the 'premium' wheels now are 17" or 18"s and up!

I was hoping to do a 5 wheel rotation at first, but I decided against a 5th wheel for a number of reasons. Since I kept the TPMS, I don't think it would play nicely with a 5th sensor, so it would be a big investment for a tire and rim that are truly only a spare. Also there's no way these would fit in the spare tire well, and I don't have the ambition right now to design an external mount. A roof rack would be the other option, but I don't want to kill my MPG, and don't have the funds for one right now anyway.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:21 PM

USMC-0311 is on a distinguished road
Are the wheels from a Nissan Xterra? Also.. do you think these would fit a FDII 4x4 without the lift?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Well I guess I shouldn't keep you guys guessing any longer. They're from a (don't laugh)... 2007 Ford Fusion!

And yes, they would fit a non-lifted FDII... probably better than a lifted one.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 PM

Ride: 2011 Jeep wrangler, 2011 Pat north edtion
kojack is on a distinguished road
thansk for the photos, I know what mine will look like now!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 PM

Ride: 2012 Rav4 Limited 4wd V6, former 2011 Limited FDII
MrJeepR44 is a jewel in the rough
How are these tires holding up for you a year later? Any complaints?

Last edited by MrJeepR44; 11-19-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:07 PM

No complaints so far, they've been great. I think they even beat out my previous favorite, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. This is a lighter vehicle than I had the Revo's on, but they seem to be wearing much better... still lots of tread left although it seems to be a fairly soft compound. The squeamishness of the deep lugs has gone away too. Fantastic in winter driving. I guess the only strike against them would be that they tend to attract gravel. I would be hard pressed to go with a different tire next time I think, for any of my trucks.

I just ordered some 1" spacers last week to finally cure the rub at 1-1/4 turns... I'll post again when they're installed.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 AM

Thanks for the update goser. If these things came in a 225/65R17 or a 225/70R17, I would buy a set tomorrow
Old 11-20-2011, 11:18 AM

You're welcome, thanks for checking out my thread.

Yeah, pickings are pretty slim for a good 17" tire; that's why I went down to a 16". I had hoped that, with the trend towards larger wheels, companies would start making more 17" A/T tire sizes; unfortunately I haven't seen much progress there.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goser View Post
You're welcome, thanks for checking out my thread.

Yeah, pickings are pretty slim for a good 17" tire; that's why I went down to a 16". I had hoped that, with the trend towards larger wheels, companies would start making more 17" A/T tire sizes; unfortunately I haven't seen much progress there.
Yeah this is a good thread, so thank you for posting it. I like seeing pictures and hearing stories of what A/T tires are working and how they are rubbing, and the Duratracs looks like a fantastic all around tire.

I was hoping that A/T tires would be made for larger wheels as well, and it looks like they have been... they just skipped the smaller diameter tires. I have seen plenty of 17" wheels for 31 inch diameter and up... Heck, the new Jeep Wranglers have 18 inch wheels, and they have TONS of tire choices.

I guess the problem is for a 28-30" diameter tire, there's just not as much sidewall for tire companies to think it's worth it? I am not sure. When I do get some rubber, I think I will go for the Yokohama Geolander in a 225/70 R17, or maybe a 225/65 R17 to get a spare to fit. They seems like a decent enough tire in a close enough size, but I really would love something aggressive like a Duratrac... and I love my factory wheels. It's tire torture

Do you have any regrets about not having a matching spare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.