Fuel Tank Size?? - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 AM

Ride: 2008 Patriot Jeep Green Limited CRD
Aus Patriot is on a distinguished road
Fuel Tank Size??

Hi Guy's,

Last night it was time to fill the CRD up.
This would be my 3rd fill.
Last week on Monday 5th May I filled up figures were:
47.86L @ $1.729
According to the OBC I did 725km and 123km to empty.

Last night I go to fill up and I'm miles away thinking about something and the pump handle goes click click meaning its full.
So I go in and pay and look at the docket and a total of 51.85L was put in.
I thought this tank was only 51L total. So I asked the service guy hey my tank is only 51L capacity and I've put in nearly 52L.
Boy did they jump. No no our pumps are accurate and your Jeep is wrong bla bla bla.

Ok I said what ever idiot.

So I'm thinking now.
I did 725km. The OBC showing still another 123km to empty so how much was still inside. i must have been driving on fumes.
Even if there was 4L still inside that would mean nearly 56L inside the tank.

Or have I missed something here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2008, 02:07 AM

Ride: '07 Compass Rallye Limited CVT
ilterzo84 is on a distinguished road
well you are missing one little thing. fuel vaporizes when it hits air. that vapor is actually sucked back into the handle. so you dont ever actually get all that the pump says.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 AM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
Well, the US owners manual states "About 13.5 gallons"...don't know why they don't know exactly since they built the thing...but that equates out to "About 51.1 liters". I suppose it holds a bit more...maybe "about 14 gallons or 52.99 liters"

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 05-15-2008, 07:46 AM

PatriotDriver is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Empty tank?

Hi!

You were probably pretty low on fuel, is my guess. I tried something similar, not too long ago. Only I didn't make it to the fuel pump ('bout 150m short when I was out of kinetic energy ), so a little push was involved.... Entirely my own fault & stupidity, for ignoring the warning signs, so I learned my lesson. Anyhow, I filled 55L of diesel into the 51L tank.

PatriotDriver
Old 05-15-2008, 08:48 AM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
So it actually is about 14.5 US gallons then. Good to know.

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 AM

JeepJim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by todde702 View Post
Well, the US owners manual states "About 13.5 gallons"...don't know why they don't know exactly since they built the thing...but that equates out to "About 51.1 liters". I suppose it holds a bit more...maybe "about 14 gallons or 52.99 liters"
One possible reason they do not know exactly could be due to a large percentage of people overfill their gas tanks...

I can see the calamity that would cause when someone who thinks their gas tank is 13 gallons puts in 13.5 from over filing the tank. They would probably try to sue the gas station, or post something nasty on the net saying that you should never buy gas from say Shell or BP or where ever they bought gas from because their pumps are wrong... Then some people may even think the gas station had the legal justification to take action against Chrysler. See the dirty web being woven here?

The tank it self is probably 13 gallons but with people overfilling they fill the neck of the tank too which then probably adds about half a gallon. But to save all the trouble and finger pointing they just say "About 13.5 gallons" to be safe.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 AM

Ride: Patriot North 4X4, Blue, FD-II
TMan is on a distinguished road
A study was done over here in Canada recently which found a fairly large percentage of gas pumps were faulty and were not pumping the right amount of gas into vehicles as they claim they were (the error was typically in favour of the gas station, not the consumer). The following is based on my typically faulty memory, but I seem to believe the percentage of faulty pumps was something like 10% and the overcharge was typically about a dollar a fill.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Ride: 94 Cherokee Country, 2008 Patriot Sport
usswasp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilterzo84 View Post
well you are missing one little thing. fuel vaporizes when it hits air. that vapor is actually sucked back into the handle. so you dont ever actually get all that the pump says.
Fuel doesn't vaporize that fast ... especially diesel fuel. I've had it all over my chest and belly once and it only came off with soap and water.

2008 Patriot Sport, 2.4L, CVT2, FD I, 26E Package

Traded!: 02 KJ Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.