Installing a New Air Filter (K&N) - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Maintenance General maintenance articles for the Patriot.

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Click for instructions on how to post an article in the Knowledge Base

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4X4
mpm is on a distinguished road
Installing a New Air Filter (K&N)

Here is a quick post on how to change your air filter in your Jeep Patriot. This is a very simple task and most people probably do know how this is done, but for the few who don't here it is. Note: The pictures are not great as they were taken from my cell phone, but they will do. I went with a K&N Air Filter Part # 33-2362.

After you get a new air filter of your choice and open the hood it's time to find the location of the air box. The air box is on the right hand side of the engine.

1 Remove the battery cover/ Air Intake. This is done by turning the 2 plastic fasteners counter clockwise and then pulling the unit up and then sliding it towards you.

2 Now that the battery cover and intake are off now you can open up the air box by lifting the 2 metal prongs up.

3 Now you need to crack open the air box to get the used filter out. Do this by separating the tops of the 2 sides of the air box and pulling up on the left side of the air box. As you can see only the left side of the air box needs to come up.

4 Pull the old filter out and put in the new filter. In my case I used a K&N air filter so it will never have to be changed, only cleaned. Also the K&N filter came pre oiled. It helps if you put the new air filter in the right hand side of the airbox and then put down the left side of the air box.

5 Now simply snap together the air box. Make sure you snap the bottom part of the left hand side of the air box first and then align the top part of the air box.

6 Assemble the air intake/battery cover. Slide in and gently set down and then put in the smaller piece that has the 2 plastic fasteners. Align then and turn the 2 fasteners clockwise.

If you do go with the K&N reusable air filter make sure you place the "DO NOT DISCARD" sticker somewhere near the air box so the idiots at the Jiffy Quick Lube place don't sell your wife an overpriced Fram air filter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 PM
POTM November 2008

Ride: 2008, 4x4, FD1, 5 speed. 25D long live vinyl seats
jepstr67 is a jewel in the rough
I see this was posted back in April. What performance differences have you noticed over the stock filter?
l_/--\_l__l/--\0lllllll0
_(o)) _) _(o))---))_______________________________
Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 AM

Ride: 08 Pat 4x4 North Edition 5spd
Patman is on a distinguished road
after the dealership failed to properly reinstall my air box (sucking in straight unfiltered air)... there was quite an improvement in power! so I'd assume the K&N would be an improvement. It's hard to believe that there is so much untapped power there. BTW, it threw an engine code by letting that much air in. I don't know if a cold air setup would throw it off that much
Old 11-30-2008, 10:09 AM

Ride: 07 4x4 Steel Blue Riot
Creel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
after the dealership failed to properly reinstall my air box (sucking in straight unfiltered air)... there was quite an improvement in power! so I'd assume the K&N would be an improvement. It's hard to believe that there is so much untapped power there. BTW, it threw an engine code by letting that much air in. I don't know if a cold air setup would throw it off that much

Great vehicle backed by lackluster dealerships

I had a K&N filter for my PtCruiser.

I loved it

I can't get over how cheap the Jeep ones are

I'll be getting one of these when it is time to change my stock filter
Old 12-09-2008, 02:50 AM

Ride: 2007 Patriot Bright Silver Metal
BWheeler is on a distinguished road
That was a pretty nice write up for installing K&N filter...
Thanks for sharing this man...
Old 02-23-2009, 02:56 AM

cyberdrone is on a distinguished road
Hi

does the mentioned partnumber (K&N Air Filter Part # 33-2362) also fit on a 2.0 CRD, 6 Speed European Model ?

Thx in advance.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Ride: 03 Mach1,08 California special mustang and a Jeep
gotjep is on a distinguished road
just my 2 cents sense i work at a Dealer// do not put the K@N sticker on you air filter box and keep the stock air filter. Change back to the stock air filter if you make a visit to the dealer because if they see a K@N air filter they just might cancel your warranty esp. if the concern is emission related like a check engine light. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 PM

Ride: Black 2.0 CRD Sport 2008
harold will become famous soon enough
might be wrong, but putting a k&n air filter will not void your warranty - as far as my dealer says

Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 PM

Ride: 2008 jeep patriot 4x4 5 speed/Yamaha BWS
blitzbuggy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotjep View Post
just my 2 cents sense i work at a Dealer// do not put the K@N sticker on you air filter box and keep the stock air filter. Change back to the stock air filter if you make a visit to the dealer because if they see a K@N air filter they just might cancel your warranty esp. if the concern is emission related like a check engine light. just my 2 cents.
Not to sound like a Dink but this is my .02
your dealer ship sounds stupid, My dealer sells all after market products. Lights, rims, tires. exhausts and intakes. besides a k&n air filter meets and exceeds SAE standards. its ok thats like saying you can only put mobil 1 oil in your car, not ESSO synthetic oil, They made in the same facility or saying you can only but wrangler SR-As as replacemnts and nothing else

I have Moabs wrapped in 235/60/16 yokohama Geolanders magnaflow exhaust, aem intake, and they havn question any thing about my vehicle.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:08 PM

Ride: 03 Mach1,08 California special mustang and a Jeep
gotjep is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzbuggy View Post
Not to sound like a Dink but this is my .02
your dealer ship sounds stupid, My dealer sells all after market products. Lights, rims, tires. exhausts and intakes. besides a k&n air filter meets and exceeds SAE standards. its ok thats like saying you can only put mobil 1 oil in your car, not ESSO synthetic oil, They made in the same facility or saying you can only but wrangler SR-As as replacemnts and nothing else

I have Moabs wrapped in 235/60/16 yokohama Geolanders magnaflow exhaust, aem intake, and they havn question any thing about my vehicle.
stupid is , stupid does. quote. Forest Gump.. lol

i put my k@n in today and it was easy-r to just take the whole air box out and swap filters then doing it in the engine bay area.. might just be mental but seems the engine reved up better.

im not saying all dealers will give you gripe over a mod. but it has been known to happen at some dealers. better safe then sorry.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 PM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Ride: Jaguar X-type 2.5 4x4
tiptronic has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to tiptronic
I checked it out & that K&N filter WILL also fit the Export CRD model-----My next mod coming Up I feel!!----

---Yep! Part Number 33-2362
Old 02-27-2010, 08:54 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot 2009
patroit07 is on a distinguished road
Man that looks complicated I think I will take m,ine to the dealer
Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot 2009
patroit07 is on a distinguished road
You dont know what your talking about they dont void your warranty with air filter swap
Old 03-03-2010, 12:49 AM

Ride: 09' Patriot Sport, 62' Willys Wagon, 01' Ram Dsl
Gargamel is on a distinguished road
Be careful with K&N filters. I know they have a big following and lots of fans and I don't want to be brand bashing but be careful. I have used every type of K&N from regular replacements to conical types and have had my problems with them. They do breathe better, that really can't be argued - just remember what a filter is designed to do. On my old Cherokee (88), I never had a dirty throttle body until after the K&N install. The intake downwind of the filter had a lot of dirt and grit that was never there with the factory filter. When using a K&N on my grand cherokee, the rubber sides that hold it the box were too soft and it would frequently get dislodged allowing zero filtration at all. I called K&N and emailed them about my findings, and you will love the answer. They said to be sure to use a pre-filter in dusty conditions as the filter isn't designed for certain fine particulates in extreme conditions. So, as a current non K&N believer, I just offer my "be careful" recommendation. Check for dirt and grit behind the filter often and make sure it stays seated correctly. You have to love a filter designed to breathe better, but at the cost of poor filtration? That is up to you.
09' Smurf Blue Patriot Sport, FD1, CVTII auto stick, yes essentials, 26E, and wheel and tire package. 01' Ram 4x4 with the Cummins. And our 62' Willys Jeep Wagon just to remind the Patriot that it's not a real Jeep.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:45 PM

Ride: 2013 Wrangler. Owned 2 Patriots.
Afmcronnie will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Afmcronnie
I started using K&N filters in my Motocross bikes 30 years ago. I always sealed the filter to the airbox with a thin bead of grease. Never had one leak dirt. Now, water is a different thing altogether. If you are running in a wet environment, be forewarned. The K&N is next to useless. That being said, I'm putting the K&N CAI system on mine this summer. The filter, or better, the CAI are the most bang for the buck for a performance increase.

My Jeep won a war. Your Honda cuts my grass...

The Earth is covered 80% by water, Jeep covers the rest.

Many vehicles will get you into remote places, a Wrangler will get you home....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.