TIPM Help - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM

rva321 is on a distinguished road
TIPM Help

The left headlight of my jeep patriot does not work, and it's not the bulb or fuse. I took the car into the dealership and they said the problem was the TIPM or totally intergrated power module. The TIPM would need to be replaced and would cost me $900 for parts and labor. My question is how hard would this be to replace myself. I have some car repair experience. I would need to know where to get the part, and how to replace it? I was also wondering if a find a used part for either a patriot, compass, or caliber if that would work? I understand that after I install the TIPM I would need to have the dealership program it, I'm just looking for the least expensive way to go about this.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 PM

Ride: 2008 jeep patriot 4x4 5 speed/Yamaha BWS
blitzbuggy is on a distinguished road
should be warranty no?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:53 PM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
Hook in two relays off the right headlights low and high beam to power on the left. No new TIPM needed! Of course it's a tad ghetto and it would probably be better to replace the TIPM.

Why would there even need to be computer control of the headlights though?

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 AM

mwstudt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by todde702 View Post
Hook in two relays off the right headlights low and high beam to power on the left. No new TIPM needed! Of course it's a tad ghetto and it would probably be better to replace the TIPM.

Why would there even need to be computer control of the headlights though?
I know this an old post. I'm having the same issues on my wife's 07 with the passenger light. I might swap out the TIPM after I make sure that's the issue. Is there any kind of programming the stealership needs to perform, or can I do this on my own?
Old 06-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Ride: Black 2012 North Trail & Tow Rated Sun & Sound
jaybee will become famous soon enough
Google is your friend - there are no replacement TIPM's available. Unless Fly By Night Auto Sales - Parts Division, happens to be be available in your (neighbour) 'hood.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
Google is your friend - there are no replacement TIPM's available. Unless Fly By Night Auto Sales - Parts Division, happens to be be available in your (neighbour) 'hood.
You sure about that? Google is your friend. Search and you shall find replacement TIPM's. I can get a new TIPM from my local dealer for $600, non-dealers sell them as well for about $400. Summit Racing sells them for $332. Carid sells them for $366.

Based on your statement. If these are not available, how does one pass an inspection? Since none are available is Chrysler buying back cars since they're impossible to license now? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:46 AM

Ride: 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport
JRomig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwstudt View Post
You sure about that? Google is your friend. Search and you shall find replacement TIPM's. I can get a new TIPM from my local dealer for $600, non-dealers sell them as well for about $400. Summit Racing sells them for $332. Carid sells them for $366.

Based on your statement. If these are not available, how does one pass an inspection? Since none are available is Chrysler buying back cars since they're impossible to license now? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?
Had this issue with my magnum for unavailable parts.. they have to make parts for so many years after production year but if they say it's on back order it changes everything. . Back order is basically a way of saying it may become available without actually producing the product anymore..
Old 06-13-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRomig View Post
Had this issue with my magnum for unavailable parts.. they have to make parts for so many years after production year but if they say it's on back order it changes everything. . Back order is basically a way of saying it may become available without actually producing the product anymore..
My local dealer has one sitting on the shelf. I just don't want to spend the money on one of these. I was able to tap into the TIPM last night and found it had 3 stored codes. All of which were associated with low and high beam circuit faults. We erased the codes, and they cam back instantly. I'm going to try to find a way to get rid of the running lights, add two relays, and jump the wires across to the other side.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 AM
2012 POTY

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot FDI Optic Green
the_jeep_now is a jewel in the rough
Rockauto carries TIPM for $343 after $100 for the core.

TJN's Build Thread

TJN's Tour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
headlights, lighting, repair, tipm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.