Battery - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:38 PM

Ride: 2007 jeep patriot
JeepPatriotGirl00 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JeepPatriotGirl00
Battery

Ok, i just got a sub and amp put into my car olmost two weeks ago, two times now this week i have gone out to start my jeep and the battery is dead. I only have 2000 miles on my jeep, so its relatively new. Has anyone else had problems like this. Im going to take it and get the bettery checked, as i have checked and rechecked and have not left anything on like lights, or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 PM

patriot22 is on a distinguished road
sounds like the new sound system is wired improperly and is draining the battery even with the jeep off.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:09 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot
GAngel is on a distinguished road
Stock battery is small. Stock alternator is small. If the system is wired properly then i'd change one or both depending on how serious of an audiophile you are. Your lights should have been dimming like crazy when you had it going.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:22 PM

Ride: Military Jeep, '08 Patriot LTD, '10 VW Beetle
jack.allwardt has a spectacular aura about
Yes, the battery is a tad small, but this IS a small vehicle, too! A new small Chev truck comes with a 125 amp alternator, vs. 120 on the Pat.) and the Chevy's stock battery is 690 vs. the 525 in the Pat.

So, two things:

1) You've got an electrical drain that is much more than leaving the dome light on, which shold not drain the battery over night--normally takes a week parked at the airport to do that for me!

2) You should replace your battery with the largest that will fit in that space, when you need to replace it. Most of us in severe cold or hot climates, usually do this every 2 -3 years, anyway.

But--fix that electrical drain--that's the problem, not the alternator or the battery.

Jack Allwardt, Exeter, CA. (Avatar photo was taken during a speech I presented on Memorial Day)
Retired engineer, US Army veteran, American Legion Past Commander of Exeter Post 94, member of the Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Exeter Lions Club Past President, vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot endorsement, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:41 PM

Ride: 2007 4x4 Steel Blue Sport (FD1-CVT)
jayp is on a distinguished road
i agree that there might be something wrong with the wiring... i'd check if the amp is turning off when you turn off the jeep and take the keys off the ignition... it might be that the remote wire for the amp was spliced into a contstant power source instead of a remote source...

i'm not very good with technical terminologies... so i apologize if i created more confusion than help... but all in all your battery should not be drained by your stereo set up when the vehicle is off... if your getting a the Christmas lights effect on your instrument lights everytime the bass hits on your system... a capacitor might be a good idea as well...

hope that helps and good luck....
Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 PM

Ride: 08 Jeep Patriot, 07 Chevy Suburban & 06 Charger
taxman82 is on a distinguished road
You can start checking for the drain with an ohm meter. All you need to do is (with the jeep off) disconnect the negative battery terminal and using the two leds from the tester make a connection between the negative battery cable and the negative post. If there is no drain this should result in a 0 reading. However if there is a drain it will show up on the meter. If there is a drain you can pull fuses in the fuse panal until you find the circuit and trouble shot it from there.

Taxman
2006 Dodge Charger

If my wife didn't have good luck we would have none at all!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:51 AM

Ride: 4 X 4 Sport 2.4 FD II CVT2L
DJ XS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepPatriotGirl00 View Post
Ok, i just got a sub and amp put into my car olmost two weeks ago, two times now this week i have gone out to start my jeep and the battery is dead. I only have 2000 miles on my jeep, so its relatively new. Has anyone else had problems like this. Im going to take it and get the bettery checked, as i have checked and rechecked and have not left anything on like lights, or anything.
I am starting to sound like a broken record, but here it goes again. I am such an avid promoter of Optima batteries, especially the Deep Cycle Yellow Top http://ttp://www.optimabatteries.com/audio_electronics/ They will give you all of the power you need for bass as well as starting up the Patriot with no problems. Yes, fix the short, but I do recommend a Yellow Top.

4 X 4 Sport 2.4 FD II CVT2L
Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 AM

jason-1900 is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ XS View Post
I am starting to sound like a broken record, but here it goes again. I am such an avid promoter of Optima batteries, especially the Deep Cycle Yellow Top http://ttp://www.optimabatteries.com/audio_electronics/ They will give you all of the power you need for bass as well as starting up the Patriot with no problems. Yes, fix the short, but I do recommend a Yellow Top.
Little OT. but with what battery did your's come with?
At least mine (CRD limited -08) came with optima redtop
Old 03-01-2008, 03:03 PM

mustanggtr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ XS View Post
I am starting to sound like a broken record, but here it goes again. I am such an avid promoter of Optima batteries, especially the Deep Cycle Yellow Top. They will give you all of the power you need for bass as well as starting up the Patriot with no problems. Yes, fix the short, but I do recommend a Yellow Top.
I second that.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 AM

Ride: 2007 jeep patriot
JeepPatriotGirl00 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JeepPatriotGirl00
Thanks everyone, i acually went in to circuit city where i got it installed and they knew write away what whas wrong, the guy who installed it (acually turns out he was the manager) did not know what he was doing and connected my amp to a constant power source. I told my brother that there was a light on my amp that was allways on, and he said to take it it. I took it in and a different guy hooked up a remote source and he explained it to me but as i am not michanically inclined i dont remember the termanology. So now it works plus becouse they are the ones who messed up they refunded me $20 dollers for the hassle of having to go back into the store and deal with this. It works great now, i just cant have the amp and sub on when the engine is not running, i dont know if there is anything i can do about that.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:12 PM
POTM June 08

Ride: 2008 Patriot, 2008 Compass & Precedent i2 Golfcart
Wade will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepPatriotGirl00 View Post
It works great now, i just cant have the amp and sub on when the engine is not running, i dont know if there is anything i can do about that.
So much for those wild tail gating parties...

2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x2
Sun Burst Orange Pearl, 2.4L, CVTII w/Auto-Stick, 26E Pkg, Pebble Beige Yes Essentials Seats
2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4x2 Surf Blue Pearl, 2.4L, CVTII w/Auto-Stick, 26E Pkg, Slate Gray Yes Essentials Seats
Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 PM

Ride: 4x4 CVT 2007
hunter44102 will become famous soon enough
You need a second battery and battery isolator for the Amp. (or possibly an alternator with dual outputs and a second battery).

This way you can drain the secondary battery without affecting your main one:

http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm
Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot
GAngel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter44102 View Post
You need a second battery and battery isolator for the Amp. (or possibly an alternator with dual outputs and a second battery).

This way you can drain the secondary battery without affecting your main one:

http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm
That's not necessary for a small system. Run a cap 1000 watts for ever 1 fared cap you use.

I have 3000 watts running for 2.5 hrs with my cap on my srt.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:25 PM

Ride: Military Jeep, '08 Patriot LTD, '10 VW Beetle
jack.allwardt has a spectacular aura about
Go to Kragen, Autozone, Pep Boys--whatever store you have in your area and buy a junp-start kit--they're less than $50, and you can have that in standby if you run your battery down. Mines not much larger that a full size novel (War and Peace, I believe....)

We would do this 2nd battery/isolation (AKA: uninteruptable power source--UPS) trick mentioned in a previous post for avionics in airplanes, that way the radios/nav gear always had their own power incase the alternator blew up, and they do on a more frequent basis than you'd imagine..

Jack Allwardt, Exeter, CA. (Avatar photo was taken during a speech I presented on Memorial Day)
Retired engineer, US Army veteran, American Legion Past Commander of Exeter Post 94, member of the Central Valley Vietnam Veterans, Exeter Lions Club Past President, vintage military jeep owner, instrument rated commercial pilot, ag pilot endorsement, vintage aircraft restorer and test pilot.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Ride: 4x4 CVT 2007
hunter44102 will become famous soon enough
A lesson I learned over the years: Unless you have a deep cycle battery, I would never let a battery drain below the ability to start the car.

Especially if you have a battery with high cold cranking amps (used more in the north), they will not last more than a few discharges. At first read it seems counter-intuitive, but the higher the CCA, the less times you can discharge the battery without losing its ability to re-charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.