Engine Code P2004/P2017 Intake Manifold Question - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:49 PM

Dubl-A is on a distinguished road
Engine Code P2004/P2017 Intake Manifold Question

Hello All,

I have a specific question on my 07 Pat and need clarification on this if possible...

I have the P2004/P2017 Engine codes showing up then going away. Intake Manifold Rudder Stuck Open, Sensor On HIGH.

Being this code comes and goes I'm assuming that its dirty/build-up/etc. I have taken the flow valve off and have tried to physically turn the rudder shaft. I can barely turn it either way.

How much should this turn? Being the engine is off is there something preventing it from opening and closing by hand?

I am planning on taking it off and inspecting the actual manifold but am waiting on a replacement gasket so I'm trying to arm myself with as much info as I can (Thanks to yall!)

btw, my Pat has 156k serviced miles on it worry free and this is her FIRST code

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post

btw, my Pat has 156k serviced miles on it worry free and this is her FIRST code

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
156k miles! Jumpin Jehose-a-fat. I think you've got the crown for highest miles on the board! And I gotta ask if you have a CVT or Manual trans?

I would say the shaft should move freely if you've removed the shaft sensor/motor from the one end (top left most section of the picture). Better stuck open then closed though. And it should be a reusable O-Ring gasket on the intake, though at 156k miles worth of heating and cooling, it could tear when coming apart.

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Annoying Member

Ride: 1959 CJ-5 Willy, 2006 Wrangler, 2009 Patriot Sport
robi454 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to robi454
I have to say it sounds like gunk build up, I would run some gumout or fuel injector cleaner thru your system. Get your engine nice and hot when you are doing this. Seems to work well on these engines. At high RPMs the engine breaks up the gunk faster. If you are still getting these codes after that then try manually cleaning the manifold.

This is a great site, not only for Patriot information, but our members offer a variety of other information as well. If you are interested in becomming a "Site Supporter" click the following link it doesn't cost very much only $15 or $20 and helps keep the site going. http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2872

Our Site Admin guys are working on updating the site with new software and every little bit helps.

Everyone should believe in something…I believe, I’ll have another beer.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todde702 View Post
156k miles! Jumpin Jehose-a-fat. I think you've got the crown for highest miles on the board! And I gotta ask if you have a CVT or Manual trans?

I would say the shaft should move freely if you've removed the shaft sensor/motor from the one end (top left most section of the picture). Better stuck open then closed though. And it should be a reusable O-Ring gasket on the intake, though at 156k miles worth of heating and cooling, it could tear when coming apart.
Thanks for that title

I'm a service technician (Copiers/etc) myself so I understand the importance of keeping up with maintenance and it has paid off.

I have a 2.4 w/CVT.

I did remove that actuator/Flow valve and I couldnt get shaft to move freely.

I noticed you said "sensor" is this physically touching the rudder??

I may try to remove the sensors.

btw, Im currently using the 2008 Patriot Service manual which has limited detail just steps of removing the Manifold itself no sensors/actuator/etc removal.

Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi454 View Post
I have to say it sounds like gunk build up, I would run some gumout or fuel injector cleaner thru your system. Get your engine nice and hot when you are doing this. Seems to work well on these engines. At high RPMs the engine breaks up the gunk faster. If you are still getting these codes after that then try manually cleaning the manifold.

This is a great site, not only for Patriot information, but our members offer a variety of other information as well. If you are interested in becomming a "Site Supporter" click the following link it doesn't cost very much only $15 or $20 and helps keep the site going.

Our Site Admin guys are working on updating the site with new software and every little bit helps.
Every Oil change I use Lucas fuel system cleaner.... so Im leaning towards some heavy build-up

I just got the new gasket so I'm just going to take it apart and inspect.

I definitely appreciate the info!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Annoying Member

Ride: 1959 CJ-5 Willy, 2006 Wrangler, 2009 Patriot Sport
robi454 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to robi454
good luck, I hope you can get this problem resolved. Since you have been using an engine treatment regualry, it could be possible that instead of gunk, gum or grime or as the commercial's call it Engine Sludge, you may have a worn or broken part casuing the malfunction. Talk to the service techs at your jeep dealership, you can call them on the phone most of them have become very helpful since they got taken over by Fiat. They may be able to offer more specific advice.

This is a great site, not only for Patriot information, but our members offer a variety of other information as well. If you are interested in becomming a "Site Supporter" click the following link it doesn't cost very much only $15 or $20 and helps keep the site going. http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2872

Everyone should believe in something…I believe, I’ll have another beer.

Last edited by robi454; 07-06-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
Once you get the manifold off, you'll probably be able to spray clean the flutter valves and slowly work them loose again. Probably just some dirt build up on the shaft. Although, with it all being plastic, it is possible something has warped causing the binding as well. If that is the case, I see that moparonlineparts.com has a new intake manifold for $134. Take some pics along the way to share your experience.

Quote:
I did remove that actuator/Flow valve and I couldnt get shaft to move freely.

I noticed you said "sensor" is this physically touching the rudder??
I think were talking about the same thing. I knew it was an actuator, I also figured it would be a sensor inside as well to report the actual position (open/closed) so if there was a problem it could report it.

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks Guys, I will definitely share the pics
Old 06-06-2012, 12:14 PM

Nubian is on a distinguished road
Also in need of HELP!!!

How did you make out? my daughter's '07 patriot 2.4L 5 spd has the P2004 code after I floored it. Need to get it fixed ASAP, can't get it inspected till then.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:10 PM

Ride: 2009 "Jeep Green" Patriot 2.4L CVT
Stonent is on a distinguished road
I just got the p2017 twice in the last month. You're probably only going to get this under hard acceleration because the little flapper things don't really open unless the engine is under a really good load or high RPM. The way I have read was that they restrict air flow to increase the air velocity going into the intake ports to get a better mix with the fuel. Under heavy load, more air is needed so they open up more. I think this happens around the time that Dual VVT kicks in and the valves are open longer and wider.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM

Now mine's on all the time and has added a p2004.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:36 PM

FYI I made some videos of mine and turning the valve.

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=107415
Old 03-14-2014, 11:00 AM

preston629 is on a distinguished road
old thread but ive got code 2017, anyone found a fix?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.