Jeep Patriot Forums banner

ball joints shot... at 40,000 mi? really?

49K views 83 replies 49 participants last post by  Ignatz 
#1 ·
Anyone else had an issue with their ball joints being shot kinda early? We don't wheel this thing (only been "off road" maybe twice). Otherwise, that's 40,000 miles of highway use. Both lower front control arms need replacing (thanks to the idiotic design of having an all-in-one unit), which is costing nearly $1 grand. Talked to Chrysler, and there are no recalls on it, and apparenlty I'm the only one with this problem. Just seems a little early to have to replace.

#3 ·
Check on ebay for the control arms. you can get a pair for well under $200 shipped and they are easy to install. 2 bushing bolts, one ball joint bolt. Any normal garage should be able to swap them in an hour or less.

#4 ·
My car failed inspection because of the ball joints. Going this week to get them replaced. Going to cost me $966.00 just to replace the lower control arms/balls joints...Price not including the alignment needed or the 2 new front tires Im going to need. Mine went bad at around 33,000...Im at 49,600 now. IM PEEEED!!!!

#5 · (Edited)
Tell me about it...my control arms needed changing at 64,000K, and it was a front wheel drive, 2.4 that has never been off roaded and probably was only a gravel road maybe twice..and that was a private road that had a strict dead-slow speed limit...thats it.
Components were changed under bumper to bumper warranty agreement, and vehcile was sold 2 weeks later.
Ill be damed if if was going to shell out 1000 bucks or so like that down the road when the thing was pampered like that, and was 80% hiway driven.
Trying to get an acknowledgement from the service manager that this was premature was an impossibility.
One thing that did make me chuckle last year, was one of the service advisors bought his daughter one, and she battled a rear dome light leaking issue. it was in there 4 times before they nailed it down.

#6 · (Edited)
My first post in the JeepPatriot.com newbie section was about my new ball joints. Mine went out at 85,000. I picked up the Pat with new ball joints on both sides, went across the street to Big "O" and bought new tires. Big "O" told me my ball joints were shot. I got the tires, went home and installed new brake pads. With the front wheels jacked up off the ground I could move the front of either wheel side to side about 1" and see the steering knuckle and half shaft move but the tie rods didn't move.
I went back to Jackson's Jeep Chrysler, In Enid, Oklahoma, and told them the ball joints were still loose. They replaced the steering rack. I went home, jacked it up, still loose. When I took it back, the service rep told me the parts were all new so if there was any looseness it must be part of specification and if I had any problems just bring it back.
5000 miles later, I went to BIG "O" for tire rotation and they said my ball joints were shot. I went across the street to Jackson's Jeep Chrysler and told the service rep my ball joints were loose enough that something had to be wrong even though I didn't have any unusual tire wear. The mechanic that did all the work was there and said maybe my wheel bearings were loose. The service rep said bring it back when we have an opening and we will check it out.
Three days later the driver side ball joint stem fell out of the steering knuckle when I pulled on to a two lane black top from a stop sign.
The pinch bolts had not been torqued down and the driver side bolt shoulder sheared off. Now they are giving me the run around about fixing all the damage caused by the wheel banging around in the wheel well, attached only to the strut. They initially replaced the lower control arm and half shaft. I had to tell them the fender liner was torn up before they ordered and replaced that. On closer inspection " by me " They agreed to replace the tie rod end that had the rubber boot torn up when it got caught in between the wheel and the brake disc. They have not addressed the damage to the bumper or the brake dust cover or having damn near killed me with their negligence or the passenger side pinch bolt, that got beat up as bad as the driver side.

#8 ·
Sorry to see you have to sell your Patriot. It's still not too late to become a Site Supporter!

This is a great site, not only for Patriot information, but our members offer a variety of other information as well. If you are interested in becomming a "Site Supporter" click the following link it doesn't cost very much only $15 or $20 and helps keep the site going. http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2872

Our Site Admin guys are working on updating the site with new software and every little bit helps.

#9 ·
Yes. It is a far cry from the 120,000+ MILES I get from my other Jeeps. I'm going to fix mine and then the Patriot will not see any summer (as in non salty) road miles unless gas goes above $4 from this point on. Unlike all my other cars, they finally, successfully, made a Jeep that I can't form an attachment to. When it rusts out I will just replace it with another soulless, expendable new car. The constant changing of ownership has just sucked the life out of Jeep.

#17 ·
... Unlike all my other cars, they finally, successfully, made a Jeep that I can't form an attachment to. When it rusts out I will just replace it with another soulless, expendable new car...
That's a sad commentary, but I can see where you're coming from. I wouldn't say the Patriot is soulless, it just doesn't have the same spirit that you're used to from Jeep. Cars definitely have "soul" or "spirit" but they get it from their owners only if they match the owner's soul or spirit. Obviously your sprit is for a classic, no frills, steel frame, go-anywhere Jeep. The Pat isn't that. :(

#11 ·
See, that's what bothers me. There is no rhyme or reason as to why they wear out. For me, holy crap! 50K on an 08! That's a lot of highway miles. Mine should still be in great shape. It seems use has no bearing on wear, nor does mileage. It seems, randomly, some are better than others.

#12 ·
Thank God I bought the Lifetime Warranty, If they go out, Chrysler and Fiat have to pay for the repairs not this guy. Still I think it is BS that any critical part wear out prior to 100K miles or 145k km if your from one of the weird countries that uses that magical mystical metric stuff. Speaking of which, did you all notice that every single bolt on the Jeep is Metric??? If I sell my Blazer I will only be able to use half of my tools!

This is a great site, not only for Patriot information, but our members offer a variety of other information as well. If you are interested in becomming a "Site Supporter" click the following link it doesn't cost very much only $15 or $20 and helps keep the site going. http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2872

Our Site Admin guys are working on updating the site with new software and every little bit helps.

#13 ·
What does it feel/sound like when you have worn ball joints? I've got a lifted Pat and it's only been on for about 5000 miles, but when I let off the gas and coast, I have a feeling of some clicking on the top side of my steering wheel. It's almost like there's some kind of slack in the front end.

#14 ·
Check the bolts that hold the transmission to the engine. A bad ball joint is a rough vibration when turning corners kind of feels like a shoping cart with a warn out wheel.

#16 ·
Must be some damn poor quality control wherever Jeep is getting these parts. There's a wide range from 20 some K miles to another fellow on here with over 180,000 miles, and I have 50,000 on my '08 and it's tight too. And I sure have bounced mine around some too.

You'd think there would be some consistency to when they wear out. Are they all made in the same place I wonder?

#23 ·
I love my patriot since putting on stu's coils, but I need something that isn't going to break, much less continue to break in the same spot as I believe they will with factory parts up front. Jeep/whoever dropped the ball on this bad.

IMO, it outweighs all the positives that the patriot has going for it.

I ordered a raptor yesterday.

#19 ·
I'm thinking of another 4-5 years with mine, then probably getting one of the new Grand Cherokees.

The offroad capability of my FDII is surprisingly good, but I just don't have the same level of confidence in it. A GC-Overland would be perfect - although I could go without all the leather and fake wood stuff.

#21 ·
Jeep patriot 07 ball joints

I posted on a similar thread but also posting here to see what kind of information is out there on this problem.. mine has 32k and mechanic just informed me the lower ball joints are shot on the car and not safe to drive.. I can't find any info on a recall.. but I had a liberty before the patriot and had the same issue.. very dangerous.. does anyone here have any information about what chrysler says or will do.. Mine had the 3yr/36K warranty and just went out of warrantyin may

#25 ·
what problems did you notice?

I posted on a similar thread but also posting here to see what kind of information is out there on this problem.. mine has 32k and mechanic just informed me the lower ball joints are shot on the car and not safe to drive.. I can't find any info on a recall.. but I had a liberty before the patriot and had the same issue.. very dangerous.. does anyone here have any information about what chrysler says or will do.. Mine had the 3yr/36K warranty and just went out of warrantyin may
With ball joints that far gone, you should notice considerable handling issues especially over bumps.
I have 80k miles with a bit offroad logging trails and weekly beach driving.
My left front ball joint has some play in it. Not enough to justify replacing just yet. But probably sometime in near future.

#22 ·
My 2007 was repaired at 32000 miles on the last day of the warranty, both lower control arm assemblies were replaced, this problem isn't subject to recall, you will probably get stuck with a bill. I made a point of making sure the manager was aware of the problem and was told that if the repair didn't fix the noise they would consider it an ongoing problem, when I picked it up it handled like it was new. Now if I can do something about those noisy Wranglers....

#30 ·
i got 101,121 miles and have no issue with mine they seem nice and tight and at the 100,000 mile inspection they found no issues.

#31 ·
My 2009 just had both control arms replaced as well as sway bar bushings and a tie rod end. Currently at 51,000 miles. Had the let front strut replaced at 32,000 miles. I have also had alot issues with the radio speakers shorting out, auxiliary port not working, and the sunroof leaking into the done light.

Glad I bought the unlimited bumper to bumper warranty. Still sucks having so many problems. Will most likely be my last Jeep even though I love my 2004 Grand Cherokee.

#33 ·
Have the same problem with mine...at 71,000 miles. Mine is a 2007 but I bought an extened warrenty. So mine will be free if they can ever get the parts...been on back order and dont know when I will get them. I guess the lifetime warrenty does not apply to my 2007..I dont think they started offering that until the 2008 models. Kinda sucks for that though.

#34 ·
Guess I spoke too soon, had an oil change done today and had them check out a squeak. They replaced both control arms and left side tie rod @65,000 miles. Covered under our extended warranty only cost the $100 deductible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.