Brake change - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 PM

brroland is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to brroland
Brake change

At what mileage did you have replace your brake pads?? were you able to just put on new pads or did you put on new rotors also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 11:34 PM

Ride: Black 2.0 CRD Sport 2008
harold will become famous soon enough
if you are asking if pads and discs have a set change time, then they don't

pads and discs are changed as and when needed

a car that does 100,000 k's per year on freeways will have considerably less wear that one that does 20,000 in stop start traffic

is that what you are asking?

the only rule i have, is that if i change the discs (rotors) then i always put on new pads

a lot of brake places will try and get you to machine the discs when it's not necessary

again, my 2c worth

Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
If the rotors are badly scored or you have a pulsation in the brake pedal (rotor warpage), then you're going to need them either machined or replaced. But when they need to be replaced depends on driving style, brake design, etc. I'm at 37k miles now on mine and I think I'll need new front pads around 40-45k miles. My wifes 2004 GMC Sonoma went 61k miles on the original pads, but GMC put huge pads on them with double piston calipers. My jeeps brakes look like motorcycle parts compared to her truck.

Also, when I did her fronts, I bought all good quality parts. The Bendix OEM pads, and top grade Wagner rotors. They dusted like crazy (I'd have to wash the front rims once a week as they became almost all black), constantly squealed no matter how many times I took them apart and applied anti-squeal and within 30k miles, the rotors and pads were done. This last time I put on the cheapest Advance Auto Parts (Organic Pads and cheap rotors) and they are quiet, stops great and I haven't had to wash the front rims from dusting yet. In fact it's been about 2 months now and the rims still look great.

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 05-11-2010, 09:39 AM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Ride: Jaguar X-type 2.5 4x4
tiptronic has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to tiptronic
I've known brake pads to last anywhere between 6,000 & 80,000 miles depends on how you drive & the quality of the components!!!

Ex 07 Patriot CRD Sport , UK ( with lots of chrome goodies )

Last edited by tiptronic; 05-11-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Ride: 2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
Akula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by todde702 View Post

Also, when I did her fronts, I bought all good quality parts. The Bendix OEM pads, and top grade Wagner rotors. They dusted like crazy (I'd have to wash the front rims once a week as they became almost all black), constantly squealed no matter how many times I took them apart and applied anti-squeal and within 30k miles, the rotors and pads were done. This last time I put on the cheapest Advance Auto Parts (Organic Pads and cheap rotors) and they are quiet, stops great and I haven't had to wash the front rims from dusting yet. In fact it's been about 2 months now and the rims still look great.
Generally, the brake parts designed for superior stopping will wear quickly, dust up more, and may even be noisier. But they'll stop you.

I'm at 47,000 miles, mostly in town but a good chunk highway, and I haven't had to swap out pads yet, but I think I'm getting close. I'll check at my next oil change, and I expect to see them getting close to the squeal tabs.

It's generally a good idea to machine the rotors when you swap out pads- pads and rotors wear together, and if you don't machine the rotors, the new pads will wear a bit faster as they mate to the wear pattern on the rotors.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
Generally, the brake parts designed for superior stopping will wear quickly, dust up more, and may even be noisier. But they'll stop you.
True, except the box for the Bendix pad stated longer service life, less rotor wear and low dust
Oh well, at least the cheaper ones are working great!

Quote:
- William Shakespeare

- Anonymous
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 AM

kb01 is on a distinguished road
I'm getting close to 70,000 miles on my original brakes. It's mostly highway driving but I've never gotten anywhere close to this kind wear out of brakes in the past. I've normally replaced pads around every 35 or 40k.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:00 PM

Ride: 2008 North Edition 2.0L
JeepHankins is on a distinguished road
any one know the wear limit for the drum brake shoes. I have drums on the rear of my pat and the service manual doesn't give a spec it. I'm guessing some where around 1/16"
Old 05-12-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHankins View Post
any one know the wear limit for the drum brake shoes. I have drums on the rear of my pat and the service manual doesn't give a spec it. I'm guessing some where around 1/16"
Typically 1/32" above the rivet, if they are a riveted pad, or 2/32" (1/16") above the brake pad backing plate for bonded.

Quote:
- William Shakespeare

- Anonymous
Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 PM

Ride: 2008 North Edition 2.0L
JeepHankins is on a distinguished road
yeah thats kinda what i figured, thanks todd
Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 PM

Ride: 2014, silver, FDII
dixiedawg is a name known to alldixiedawg is a name known to all
45,000 miles on mine brakes still good.

My Tracker would go 75,000 miles on the fronts, and believe it or not the rears on that are still original at 175,000 miles.

I do a lot of highway driving.

I had a Buick that would eat front brakes at 12,000-15,000 miles.

You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
Old 11-08-2014, 10:16 PM

PatriotRox2008 is on a distinguished road
My Patriot's original brakes lasted 3 years and over 100,000 miles. Highway, backroad, hills, town, etc.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Unsponsored Baja racer

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 "General Lee Jr"
RossoRacer will become famous soon enough
Lol, way to resurrect an old thread. Mine initially lasted I think maybe 30k on the back, and I replaced the fronts at maybe 35k to be safe. That was just pads, and having the rotors turned. A couple months ago, I replaced pads and rotors in all four corners at about 63k miles, but most of the pads appeared to have nearly half their life left. Just a couple days ago, I learned that rotors come with some coating these days to keep them from rusting while in the packaging, that's supposed to be washed off when they're applied. I didn't know about that, but for some reason they rusted within two weeks of installation. Got some fluid film ordered, gonna clean 'em and spray 'em soon.
"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that all who believe in him might not perish but have eternal life" -John 3:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOb8IEyCO1o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.