Spare Key - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 AM

Ride: 2008 Black Patriot Sport 4x2 with manual Transmiss
ohiobuckintx is on a distinguished road
Spare Key

I dont have the power package, just the base model 4x2. I usually carry aa spare vehicle key in my wallet (flat duplicate). Can I get one made at Lowes or somewhere like that or do you have to get them through a dealer?

"Go Buckeyes"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 11:34 AM
just an average Joe

Ride: 2008 Steel Blue Patriot Sport 2WD
JoeBecker will become famous soon enough
If you just need to unlock the door, it probably can be made anywhere that they can get the right shape. I am assuming that even without power locks you key has the "chip" for actually starting the Jeep.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy - Red Green
Old 12-06-2007, 12:00 PM

Ride: 2008 Black Patriot Sport 4x2 with manual Transmiss
ohiobuckintx is on a distinguished road
thats what I was wondering is the regular keys have a "chip"

"Go Buckeyes"
Old 12-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot Sport
suzq044 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to suzq044
I was wondering this too, because the keyfob shown in the manual doesn't look like my keys. (page 12 in the manual).. I just have the rounded ones with the jeep logo on em. I guess the best way to do it, is to get the spare made, since they're cheap & try and start the car, if it doesn't work, then it's a sentry key. lol [and at least now you have something to unlock the car with, if you need it] Granted, we have a key-chain alarm thing, not the in-key one they show there
Old 12-06-2007, 02:23 PM

Ride: 5 Speed 4x2 silver Limited
kanus is on a distinguished road
I bought a spare transponder key off ebay and had it cut at my local hardware shop. The only problem was that the machine didn't hold the key in the right position so the person cutting it had to line it up manually and then clamp it in place. It worked out fine. The dealer would have a machine that would hold the blank in the correct position without the guesswork. A lock smith could probably do it without any problem as well.

The key came with instructions on how to program the key. The same instructions are in the owner's manual.

Here's one of several vendors on ebay-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...spagenameZWD1V
Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Ride: 2007 Patriot, Light Khaki, 4x4, CVTII FdriveII,
Terasec is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
Most locksmiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckintx View Post
I dont have the power package, just the base model 4x2. I usually carry aa spare vehicle key in my wallet (flat duplicate). Can I get one made at Lowes or somewhere like that or do you have to get them through a dealer?
can cut you a key to unlock the doors
, to program the transponder to start the car,
if you have the original 2 keys, you can program it yourself,
in the manuall is the steps to program your own key,
havent tried it myself, but recall reading it in the manual
Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Ride: 2011 Latiturd Blackberry Pearl
Randoo-N-CJ has a spectacular aura about
..and there are some places that will not make a duplicate for you at all. I was on Lowes the other day and since I was there, I asked him to make me a spare (plain, not worrying about encoding, etc) and when he saw the key with the chip in it, he handed it back and told me he was not allowed to make those. Period. Sheesh, not even a plain spare?? Nope he said.

I haven't bothered looking around but I will sooner or later. I'd like one that I can keep under the frame in a magnetized holder.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
can cut you a key to unlock the doors
, to program the transponder to start the car,
if you have the original 2 keys, you can program it yourself,
in the manuall is the steps to program your own key,
havent tried it myself, but recall reading it in the manual
I bought a transponder key and I was able to program it myself using the instructions in the manual.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:13 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot Sport 4x2, Jeep Green Metallic
MYITLOG is on a distinguished road
i got mine from the dealer when i purchased my car... they charged me $5 for it. the spare key i got does not have the program thou.. i just need it to open the door.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 PM

RichHelms is on a distinguished road
My remote spare key was stolen when my briefcase was taken from my Patriot. The dealer needed the one key and they changed the code to disable the stolen key as well as set up 2 new keys. Definitely not a cheap date.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 PM

Gramps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckintx View Post

I carry a spare in my wallet too. ACE hardware sold me a blank without the chip and cut it so that I could unlock my doors and get the one that I could leave locked inside or the other spare that's hidden away. I have the security system on mine and when I unlock the door and open it the alarm does go off, you can also start my Jeep with it and it'll run for about 5 seconds and then quits. All of the new Jeeps have the Sentry Key system have with a chip in them.

Without the chip from ACE about $2.50

The standard key is 05143553AA

The remote key is 68000603AA. I found an uncut one of these on eBay for about $60.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I have the security system on mine and when I unlock the door and open it the alarm does go off,
I believe if you lock the door with the key (not using the remote or the door switch), the alarm won't go off when you open it with the key. It explains this in the owner's manual.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:23 AM

Gramps will become famous soon enough
I normally lock the door with the inside button before closing it. If I had the key/remote to do the locking in my hand from the outside it would be really hard for them to be locked on the inside, I don't think that I will run in to that scenario. I haven't done it yet with this one but I have in the past. Old habits die hard.

Last edited by Gramps; 12-07-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:18 PM

Ride: 2007 Patriot
Riotking is on a distinguished road
Talking forget the spare key

I dont do it often but I have locked my keys in the car at the worst times. breaking in is a pain in the ass (I'm too poor for AAA) not mention if you use a coat hanger it will chip the paint tear the door seals and scratch the interior. So I came up with a better way. I opened up my my door pannel and took a good look at the lock. When you pull the handle it flips the lock pin up. At the base of the lock pin is a plastic loop pull up on it and the door unlocks. So I fed some fishing line through the rubber trim at the base of the window. Tied it to the plastic loop and trimmed the line and made a small loop on the outside and tucked it under the trim. You cans see anything it is like its not there. Plus no need for spare key or hide-a-keys.
2007 Green patriot 4x4, 225/65/R17 Yokohama Geolander ATS, on-board-air, blacked out muffler, custom fog lights, custom painted riot[/SIGPIC] badge 55,000+miles on-hwy and 15,000+off-hwy From dunes of Pismo to 10,000+ft in the Sierra Nevada!
Everyone that loves off-road, loves the preparation for the unknown, and the opportunity to conquer it, to call it their own.

Last edited by Riotking; 05-15-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Ride: 2007 Patriot, Light Khaki, 4x4, CVTII FdriveII,
Terasec is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotking View Post
I dont do it often but I have locked my keys in the car breaking in is a pain in the ass not mention if you use a coat hanger it will chip the paint tear the door seals and scratch the interior. So I came up with a better way. I opened up my my door pannel and took a good look at the lock. When you pull the handle it flip the lock pin up. At the base of the lock pin is a plastic loop pull up on an the door unlocks. So I fed some fishing line through the rubber trim at the base of the window. Tied it to the plastic loop and trimmed the line and made a small loop on the outside and tucked it under the trim. You cans see anything it is like its not there.
as i am one to lock myself out every now and then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.