Checking and adding CVT fluid - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:07 AM

chazz is on a distinguished road
Checking and adding CVT fluid

I've been checking out my new Patriot (FDII) and there's one thing I can't figure out -

It appears there is a place under the hood to add CVT fluid. But there is no dipstick and the manual says the level must be checked by a trained technician.

So is there any way for me to check the fluid level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 10:44 AM
just an average Joe

Ride: 2008 Steel Blue Patriot Sport 2WD
JoeBecker will become famous soon enough
Leave that up to the professionals. From other discussions about this, the process is not just a matter of pulling a dipstick and seeing if it is in the range.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy - Red Green
Old 11-14-2009, 10:46 AM

Armando Pineda is on a distinguished road
the short answer is no...take it to the dealer...read other posts in this forum regarding the proper procedure...hell even the dipstick is almost $100 u.s.d.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:55 AM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Ride: Jaguar X-type 2.5 4x4
tiptronic has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to tiptronic
CVT is not a DIY servicable item--leave it alone , you may do more harm than good!!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
It's true, you need a special dipstick that also reads the fluid temperature, then there's a conversion chart they used based on the level and temp to know if it's correct or not.

However, you can use your engine oil dipstick to at least have an idea. Here's what I did. After driving home from the dealer, my mom's and brother's to show off my new Jeep, I got home and started poking around and also noticed no trans dipstick. Now everything was still very hot under the hood so I pulled my engine oil dipstick, cleaned it off very thoroughly, then put it down into the transmission dipstick tube (fully seated). When I pulled it out, I had fluid up to the lowest mark of the engine dipstick. Now this doesn't tell me whether the fluid level is correct or not, but it does let me know if the level goes down, to have the dealer look at it. I assume the level was correct since I had just picked it up from them that day. So every now and then, after a long drive, I just check the level and make sure something's there. It's better then nothing.

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 11-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todde702 View Post
It's true, you need a special dipstick that also reads the fluid temperature, then there's a conversion chart they used based on the level and temp to know if it's correct or not.

However, you can use your engine oil dipstick to at least have an idea. Here's what I did. After driving home from the dealer, my mom's and brother's to show off my new Jeep, I got home and started poking around and also noticed no trans dipstick. Now everything was still very hot under the hood so I pulled my engine oil dipstick, cleaned it off very thoroughly, then put it down into the transmission dipstick tube (fully seated). When I pulled it out, I had fluid up to the lowest mark of the engine dipstick. Now this doesn't tell me whether the fluid level is correct or not, but it does let me know if the level goes down, to have the dealer look at it. I assume the level was correct since I had just picked it up from them that day. So every now and then, after a long drive, I just check the level and make sure something's there. It's better then nothing.
I did the same thing...this is very good advice...if you are "stuck" somewhere or tranny is "acting strange" and want to rule this out as a problem, etc. or even for piece of mind.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Ride: 2009 north edition 2,4 l cvt 4wd light grey
ti-claude31 is on a distinguished road
i had a talk with my dealer mecanic about the transmission fluid.he told me ,if there is no leak and if you dont have any problem dont touch it,and if you do have problem with it, will either fix it or change it (end of discussion).
Old 11-14-2009, 11:46 AM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Using the engine dipstick is OK at . but because the special fluid has to work at pressures up to 900 lbs sq in--you will get different readings at different temps . Unless you have the correct Dip/Temp/ sensor , dont be tempted to add fluid just because it LOOKS LOW !!
Old 11-14-2009, 04:18 PM

Ride: 07 Lifted FDII North; 81 Westy
heckler is a jewel in the rough
The only think special is you need to know the CVT fluid temperature, which affects the level. This is why it's not servicable by most people.

CHECK CVT OIL LEVEL

1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.
WARNING: There is a risk of accident from vehicle starting off by itself when engine is running. There is a risk of injury from contusions and burns if you insert your hands into the engine when it is started or when it is running. Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving off by itself. Wear properly fastened and close-fitting work clothes. Do not touch hot or rotating parts.
3. Actuate the service brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position "P".
4. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling.
5. Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push the Oil Dipstick 9336 into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary.
NOTE: The dipstick will protrude from the fill tube when installed.

CVT TRANSMISSION FILL GRAPH

(this graph is in the service manual, and tells you what the correct height is, depending on the fluid temperature measured with the scangauge)

6. Check transmission oil temperature using the appropriate scan tool.
7. The transmission Oil Dipstick 9336 has indicator marks every 10 mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct.
8. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
9. Once the oil level is correct, install the dipstick tube cap.
Project Abyss - 07 FDII North, RRO lift, 16X8 Soft 8 with 235/70-16 Grabber AT's, Roof Basket, Procomp 55 roof lights, dash tweeters, 2" hitch, North Shore Rack, K&N drop-in, Hi-lift, Procomp 55 driving lights
Old 11-15-2009, 09:38 AM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptronic View Post
Using the engine dipstick is OK at . but because the special fluid has to work at pressures up to 900 lbs sq in--you will get different readings at different temps . Unless you have the correct Dip/Temp/ sensor , dont be tempted to add fluid just because it LOOKS LOW !!
Agreed! I was not saying to use the engine oil dipstick to determine whether you could add fluid or not. Just as an indicator on whether you should stop by the dealer or not. And you want to try and always check it in the same location and conditions (in other words, always check it in your driveway, right after driving home from work since it will generally always be the same temperature and the vehicle will be sitting in the same orientation). Of course really hot or cold days can change the temperature slightly.

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 11-15-2009, 10:23 AM
POTM November 2008

Ride: 2008, 4x4, FD1, 5 speed. 25D long live vinyl seats
jepstr67 is a jewel in the rough
That's what I love about Jeeps. They are always so simple and easy to work on.
l_/--\_l__l/--\0lllllll0
_(o)) _) _(o))---))_______________________________
Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM

fishtruk is on a distinguished road
Symptom

Mine (CVT) is waiting a few seconds to go into drive after I back out of the driveway when it's cold. Doesn't do it any other time. 2008 vehicle.

(I live on a busy street)

Has anyone had this and did correcting the fluid level fix it?

Thanks!
nelZ
Old 11-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Aussie Patriot Legend

Ride: Patriot Sports Lifted & Limited CRD + 2 @ work
zbee has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to zbee Send a message via Skype™ to zbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypehoky73 View Post
I think I am going to go with Redline Synthetic Transmission fluid MT-90 Does anyone know how many quarts I would need to do a complete changeover? Is it six quarts?
apart from voiding the lifetime warranty, i would not recomend changing whatsoever the fluid, the formula is specifcaly formulated and proprietry for the cvt
Old 11-21-2009, 06:59 AM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

As stated by zbee----- Your Fluid NEVER NEEDS CHANGING EXCEPT UNDER EXTEME USAGE!!!!!!! CVT Fluid is nothing like Normal Auto fluid , it contains RUBBER granules to aid friction. Plus you need the CORRECT DIP/TEMP/SENSOR & the chart that goes with it!!!! Dont mess with things you know nothing about & dont understand!!!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypehoky73 View Post
I think I am going to go with Redline Synthetic Transmission fluid MT-90 Does anyone know how many quarts I would need to do a complete changeover? Is it six quarts?
Stop! this is the wrong fluid for CVT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.