Oil Changes and Maintenance Schedules - Page 5 - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Maintenance General maintenance articles for the Patriot.

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Click for instructions on how to post an article in the Knowledge Base

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:52 PM

kingtj is on a distinguished road
re: every 3,000 mile oil changes?

Actually, I was told by a former mechanic (and current teacher of "power tech" type shop classes for an area high school) that the biggest reason to do a 3,000 mile oil change is because of additives in the oil that start breaking down after that length of time. He said that besides the ability of the oil to lubricate, there are other things involved, like rust inhibitors and detergents put in the oil.

Since then, though, I've also belonged to car owner groups for various vehicles where people claimed they regularly sent off samples of their used motor oil to a test lab for analysis. Typically, they concluded that 3,000 miles is a little earlier than necessary to change their oil -- but sometimes, a 5,000 - 6,000 mile interval seemed appropriate.

I suspect there are actually a lot of factors involved, including the tendency for some engines to get a little bit of fuel into the oil, polluting it and reducing its efficiency. Also, don't forget that in the U.S.A., most drivers really don't do a lot of regular maintenance on their vehicles. The 3,000 mile oil change they go to the quick-lube place for also serves as the interval their tires get refilled with air to the proper pressure and their other fluids get checked and refilled if needed, air filter checked, etc. If they started suggesting people hold off on the oil changes for a lot longer, they'd be driving around for months with low tires, dirty air filters and worn out wiper blades.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Never been able to understand how the diesel VW engine installed in the Jeep CRD in Europe can go for 9,000 miles between oil changes and yet this daft 3,000 miles thing in the USA persists, for petrol engines. In the UK a Petrol engined car can often go many more miles than 9k between oil changes.

Someone has got it wrong, or right I suppose, depending on who is taking the hard earned money from the driver!

Unless, the quality of the oil in Europe is to a higher standard? We certainly pay a lot more for it, that in the USA.

The truth is it's a rip off! Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Ride: 2011 Patriot FD1 M5
Murman has a spectacular aura about
An engine cooling system is engineered to maintain an engine at the designed operating temperature.

Barring a cooling system failure, 20 grade synthetic oil will satisfy engine lubrication requirements.

From the OM, "Driving with a hot engine cooling system could damage your vehicle. If the temperature gauge reads H pull over and stop the vehicle. Idle the vehicle with the air conditioner turned off until the pointer drops back into the normal range. If the pointer remains on the H and you hear continuous chimes, turn the engine off immediately, and call an authorized dealership for service."

A cooling system failure will place a vehicle out of commission, until repaired.

This is worth repeating. Barring a cooling system failure, 20 grade synthetic oil will satisfy the engine lubrication requirement.

Synthetic oil thickens when the engine is cooled below designed operating temperature (such as a vehicle parked overnight).

5W-20 oil will thicken more than 0W-20 oil when cooled. When starting a cold engine, 0W-20 will start out "less thick" and "thin out" sooner than 5W-20 oil.

0W-20 will reach proper operating viscosity sooner than 5W-20 oil.

I read this thread twice and see no mention of using 0W-20 grade oil.

My engine will be started cold with thick oil.

My engine may never suffer a cooling system failure.

So, why not use 0W-20 oil?

"My doctor tells me I should start slowing it down - but there are more old drunks than there are old doctors... so... let's all have another round." - Willie Nelson
Old 03-19-2011, 12:18 PM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Ride: Jaguar X-type 2.5 4x4
tiptronic has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to tiptronic
Oil DOESNT break down !! When it is centefugally filtered 20,000 mile oil goes back in the Stock Pot !! Its almost impossible for oil to lose its lubricating properties.
I read a report where a guy with a Caddy is USA , told his dealer to stop sticking 3000 change reminders on his windscreen, he book said 8,500 mile changes.

After his Cadillac had got to 150,000 miles with no problems with long changes , he started to sent samples of oil to a lab to get them checked. He sent samples at 3.000---5.000 & 8.000 miles . Reports came back the same . Minimal degradation of oil with no signs of breakdown or contamination . Nice & clear in colour & still up to car manufacturers specifications, all OK for another 8.000 miles . Bear in mind this from a car that had already done 150.000 miles .

Jiffy Lube & Oil companies are twisting your testicles ......
Old 03-26-2011, 03:35 PM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

I just looked it up & found that when the Chrysler Neon was sold in the UK ( up to 2005) The oil change interval for the UK was 12 months or 12.000 miles.??
Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot 2014 Mineral Gray
yar1964 is on a distinguished road
I was planning on changing every 5000 miles like I have done on all my cars. Questions does the first oil change need to be done early, I checked the oil yesterday with 2700 on it and it seems very dark, does that mean anything. When should I have the first oil change done? Call the dealer service department and they answered my question with change it once the light goes on
Old 04-20-2011, 05:18 AM

G765T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yar1964 View Post
I was planning on changing every 5000 miles like I have done on all my cars. Questions does the first oil change need to be done early, I checked the oil yesterday with 2700 on it and it seems very dark, does that mean anything. When should I have the first oil change done? Call the dealer service department and they answered my question with change it once the light goes on

personally i`ve owned few big rigs over the years and every time the first oil change i did after 3000 miles because all the crap that the oil washes out from a brand new engine, all the grease used during assembly and any potential small metal particles that may have been left behind, some will argue that this was way too soon but when you think of the price of a new engine vs the cost of an oil change it only made sense to do it earlier rather than later, i`ve treated my suv`s same way when it comes to first oil change even thou the dealer said it was ok to wait till 5000 miles rolls around
Old 04-20-2011, 07:05 AM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

There is very little or no crap washed out of a brand new modern engines...Modern micro filters , fully synthetic oils & engines built to very high specs/tolerances see to that . Get real this 2011 not 1959............
Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 PM

Ride: 09 sport 4x4,
jloffermann is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptronic View Post
Oil DOESNT break down !! When it is centefugally filtered 20,000 mile oil goes back in the Stock Pot !! Its almost impossible for oil to lose its lubricating properties.
I read a report where a guy with a Caddy is USA , told his dealer to stop sticking 3000 change reminders on his windscreen, he book said 8,500 mile changes.

After his Cadillac had got to 150,000 miles with no problems with long changes , he started to sent samples of oil to a lab to get them checked. He sent samples at 3.000---5.000 & 8.000 miles . Reports came back the same . Minimal degradation of oil with no signs of breakdown or contamination . Nice & clear in colour & still up to car manufacturers specifications, all OK for another 8.000 miles . Bear in mind this from a car that had already done 150.000 miles .

Jiffy Lube & Oil companies are twisting your testicles ......
Tiptronic,
Sorry to break it to you man, but oil does break down.... It even breaks down naturally by itself let alone the heat, and metal on metal friction.

when it turns black it looses its viscosity, (Lubricity) the extreme heat and friction no matter how well the oil does metal on metal still causes small shavings. and yes it's 2011 but oil does break down and If you book says 3k or 5k do it. most say 3k if you do off pavement/ towing or 5k if it's commuting.

If you could show me the article with the lab sampling oil I will read it thoroughly.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM

molsonreddog is on a distinguished road
Sorry to throw this in here but see my post on blown engine and Chryslers oil change stand. It may save you all some heartache.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 PM

Ride: 2011 Jeep Patriot
BigBill1976 is on a distinguished road
Oil Filter size 2011 Jeep Patriot?

So does anyone know the oil filter size on a 2011 Jeep Patriot. I went to change my oil today for the first time hitting my 3000 mile mark and the oil filter is stuck on so tight that it bent my old adjustable oil filter wrench. Does anyone know the socket size I am going to pick one up tomorrow morning so I can finish the job.

Thank god for K&N filters. can't wait to put the new one on so this wont happen again.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 PM

Ride: 2008 Silver Patriot Sport FDI 4x4 CVT
todde702 is a name known to alltodde702 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to todde702
Quote:
Originally Posted by yar1964 View Post
Yar, you'll get a Change Oil message and a friendly ding sound when it's time to change the oil. Most folks on the forum had the first reminder go off between 2500-3500 miles (a tad early considering the book says every 6 months or 6k miles).

Jloff, the color of the oil means nothing as far as it's condition. On most diesel engines, the oil goes completely black within a few hundred miles, but it can still lubricate just fine for several thousands of miles.

Quote:
"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
- William Shakespeare

"I swear to drunk I'm not God!"
- Anonymous
Old 04-24-2011, 10:39 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot 2014 Mineral Gray
yar1964 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by todde702 View Post
Yar, you'll get a Change Oil message and a friendly ding sound when it's time to change the oil. Most folks on the forum had the first reminder go off between 2500-3500 miles (a tad early considering the book says every 6 months or 6k miles).

Jloff, the color of the oil means nothing as far as it's condition. On most diesel engines, the oil goes completely black within a few hundred miles, but it can still lubricate just fine for several thousands of miles.
Thanks for the info Todde, I am going to wait til 5000 and then every 5000.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 AM

Ride: patriot yam Majesty scooter
exlimey is on a distinguished road
I have 500km on my Pat, when its ...1000+ I will switch to Amsoil 5-30 and run it for 12 months,with a good oil filter, used it for over 30 years, never a problem 5-20 is what the manufactor used to get a better MPG rating CAFE I believe (about 1% better), its thinner when hot,so it does not protect as well as 5-30. dealer will give me a hard time when I go in for service, book says oil and fiter change every 13000 KM, or 6 months, when I mention Amsoil,he will back off
Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 AM

Ride: 2014, silver, FDII
dixiedawg is a glorious beacon of lightdixiedawg is a glorious beacon of light
I change mine every 3K miles, just an old habit. My oil change light just came on, and I have almost 1K miles to go for the next change, it never came on for the last one so I never re-set it, so I'm guessing the change indicator is telling me to change at about 5k miles.

You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM
2012 POTY

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot FDI Optic Green
the_jeep_now is a jewel in the rough
My indicator light just came on too. However, I've changed the oil not even 3k miles ago and I put fully synthetic. My first light came on at around 2500 and now it came on at 5400. It seems weird to me. So I just reset it and going to drive another 2k or so before changing it.

TJN's Build Thread

TJN's Tour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine oil, maintenance, motor oil, oil, oil change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.