Jeep Patriot Forums banner

How to change front signal bulb ?

44K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  mrzeee101 
#1 ·
I'm tired of those ugly yellow bulbs. I'm gonna put LED bulbs instead. Just not able to figure out how to replace them.

The actual plug for the bulb is really (like really really) hard to reach. From what what I've try looks like I'll need to dislocate my wrist in order to reach it. Am I doing this the wrong way ?

#4 ·
I think step 7b was 'dislocate wrist', but they took it out.

Jim

Text Diagram Line art Line Auto part

#17 ·
I think step 7b was 'dislocate wrist', but they took it out.

Jim

View attachment 695
Hi All .. My rt turn sig is out and I TRIED to replace it. Well looking at that picture it looks like it is open to the world. NOT IN MY 2011 IT IS NOT! you can see a tab in the pic, that is facing up and next to an almost complete cover to the "tunnel" to access the assy. I bent the tab and part of the frame of that 'cover' to try and gain access. My fat little arm said OH NO YOU DONT! got 1/4 the way up my arm and could just barely grab the connector but not enough to pull or twist at all. Not hardly enough space to get long reaching pliers or any sorta wrench in there so back together it went after gouges in my arm and an hr of time i will never get back. The tire really helped hold the wheel liner for me but dang it my arm just couldnt make it. mmmm now the choice.... pay jeep or cut the frakin cover to the bulb. I dont even know why it is there other than???? just dont know. Ill go back to fitting a plow to my rider before I try the bulb again. Ill use hand signals like when i started driving a few years ago lol. rant over gonna take a nap .

#6 ·
I have not personally looked at the vehicle in any way re: the turn signal light, that is only info pulled from the service manual.

So as of now I guess I have to say . Yes I am serious. :confused: :icon_rolleyes:

Jim

#8 ·
You're welcome.

#9 ·
Since you're the keeper of all the Patriot schematics (thanks for that, btw...) have you run into anything else as silly as having to remove a wheel for a bulb?

Just curious.

#10 · (Edited)
I've had my Patriot for 2 weeks now and in the first week my right front turn signal got killed while sitting in a parking lot. The replacement unit was $30 bucks, but I knew I was in for some fun changing it when the Owners Manual doesn't even have a section on changing the front turn signal bulb!
Thanks for the diagram Jim!:smiley_thumbs_up:

#11 ·
I might be easier, albeit still as lame, to just remove the wheel liners. I have mine off running some wires and it would seem that everything is accessible from there. At least you wouldn't have to jack it up and remove the wheels.

#13 ·
You dont have to take off the wheels and tires. I just unscrewed the 3 screws with a socket wrench, and just reached in there and popped it out. I too changed to LED bulbs but BE CAREFUL which ones you pick cause most out right now suck. The bulbs dont blink faster because many of them have several led diodes, which equal up to enough volts as to not make your computer think the bulb is burned out. I didnt have any trouble removing them just by pulling back the wheel well liner, and im a big guy.

#14 ·
way easy

Take the tire off? Just turn the wheel. There's one push connector that's hard to get to above the wheel, but otherwise removing the tire is pointless (and certainly a waste of time for a dirveway mechanic without a hoist).

I changed the light housing in about an hour. You'll need a long torqs screwdriver or a 1/4' socket with a torqs bit.

#15 ·
Leave it to Chrysler to make a simple task impossible :p
This is why I'm gonna buy the LED housings and never worry about this.

#18 ·
On my Patriot ended up removing the entire front facia, bumper, grille, and all, in order to get to the turn signal bulbs and fog light bulbs. It was such a pain to replace them that I replaced them all with LED bulbs so that I'll hopefully never need to replace one again.

#19 ·
Jeep quoted me 51$ to replace I said are you sure?, maybe you better ask or look it up.... they said nope 30 min 51.00 I am making an appt there asap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.