ESP/BAS and Traction Control Light - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:15 PM

sdnash is on a distinguished road
ESP/BAS and Traction Control Light

I have a 2007 Patriot 4x4 with an automatic transmission. Recently, while sitting at a fast food drive thru with the transmission in drive and my foot on the brake, the ESP/BAS and Traction Control lights came on and would not go off. I drove back to my house and turned the engine off, started the engine again and the lights remain lit. I could not get the lights to go off. The next morning I drove to the Jeep dealership to have it looked at and of course the lights went out before I got there. I went ahead and took it since I have just over 33k miles and the warranty is about to expire. The dealer told me that I needed a new "clockspring" and they had to order it and it would take about a week. I have been driving a couple of days since this happened and the lights have not come back on. Can anyone tell me what a "clockspring" does and if this could really be why my ESP/BAS and Traction Control lights would not go off? Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks,

Shawn

UPDATE: 7/25/13 since having the clockspring replaced I have no longer had the issue. Now have over 60k

Last edited by sdnash; 07-25-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Sept 2009 POTM

Ride: '14 Cherokee TH
UA_who is a jewel in the rough
A clockspring is used in your steering wheel to transfer signals from the wheel to the car computer.

I have no idea why that would cause the ESP/BAS light to turn on.
Maybe the ESP uses some steering wheel position sensor to correlate tire movement with intended direction? No signal, means error mode??

'14 White Cherokee TH------------Mods: Nuttin' yet
Old 07-30-2009, 11:18 AM

VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road
There is a sensor in each wheel hub that monitors data needed for the systems to operate. When BOTH warning indicators come on, it usually indicates a problem with one of the sensors. When the problem is intermittant, it is usually a bad connection or a chaffed wire to a sensor. The proper response to this problem is to disconnect the wiring harness plug at each of the (4) wheel sensors - check for wire damage (chaffing, bare wire, kinking, etc) - check for dirt and/or corrosion - clean both the plug and contacts - use liberal dielectic grease - and reinstall the plug. This is a common problem on modern cars with ABS, traction control, stability control, etc. when you live in areas of the country with higher moisture, snow and use of roadway salts and chemicals for ice and snow removal. It is also a possibility that one of your hubs is failing, but that would be unusual until the vehicle has 50-60K miles on it. I would take it back to where you had the service done and have them check the connectors and wiring. You have to figure that having exposed wires running to an area of the car that moves up and down (suspension), rotates (front - steering), exposed to heat, cold, elements and flying road objects - there will eventually be a failure. I have no idea why the dealer would think the problem is in the steering column/system/clockspring.

Last edited by VWCarcrazy; 07-30-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 AM

Ride: 2013 Dodge Journey SE Plus
klingoff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_who View Post
A clockspring is used in your steering wheel to transfer signals from the wheel to the car computer.

I have no idea why that would cause the ESP/BAS light to turn on.
Maybe the ESP uses some steering wheel position sensor to correlate tire movement with intended direction? No signal, means error mode??
Yes. The ESP system that Chrysler uses does have a steering sensor so that it knows the position of the wheel.

The use of this sensor is most noticible in the 300C. When you have the wheel hardover and nail the throttle the ESP system will limit the throttle reponse until the wheel is straight.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM

Ride: '08 Patriot Sport 4x4
Hitzy is on a distinguished road
Mine came on and I had to have some wires replaced in the front driver kick panel. They rubbed through the insulation and shorted out.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:42 PM

VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road
Yes, but you do not normally get both warning lights (WSP and Traction control) for a steering column wiring and/or clockspring problem. Both warning lights usually indicate a problem with the wheel hub wiring or sensors.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM

sdnash is on a distinguished road
I would think that the technician would have been able to read a code telling him what the problem is? Is this assumption wrong? Should I take to another dealership for another opinion? They told me they would call me when the clockspring comes in. I have been driving it for three or four days now since the lights initially came on and haven't had it occur anymore. I just know I want the problem fixed before the warranty expires!

By the way, someone hit my Patriot today in the parking garage at work. No dents but left their red paint and a bunch of scrapes & scratches on my rear bumper just behind the driver side wheel. I'm so pissed right now! Sucks when people are dishonest and just drive away... Oh well, they will end up paying for it in some other way eventually!

Last edited by sdnash; 07-30-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:42 AM

Ride: Badgeless 2007
APT is on a distinguished road
The clock spring holds the steering angle sensor. The steering angle is a primary input to ESC as it represents where the driver intends to go. The yaw rate and lateral acceleration are then correlated to the steering angle. When the 3 inputs do not represent what a vehicle with no tires slipping would do, ESC activates.

TC should not be affected, though. While the steering angle can improve TC performance, it is not necessary.

Hope the new part helps, but you may never know if it never happens again anyway!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot North 4x4, FD1, Black, CVT, 26E
william240 is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem this spring and found out that some wire connections that are under the driver's floor mat have become corroded. I thought I was the only one until I searched through this site and found other car owner's also have this problem. If it is this try to get it fixed before your warranty expires as I noticed on the bill there is a lot of labour hours to fix this thing.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 PM

BLantow is on a distinguished road
reviving an old thread here, but this happened to me today, both esp/bas and skidding car icons became illuminated while driving on the interstate. It was a VERY windy day and I was holding the wheel close to 20 degrees left. my hypothesis is I accelerated to maintain my speed (about 85) on the highway, with the wheel cranked sideways even though the car was moving straight and caused a system fault with the ESP. I think this because my car has only 20k miles and is in great condition. i scheduled a warranty repair/inspection for it next week, but with thanksgiving its going to be close to a week for it. what do you folks think?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:19 PM

wilp is on a distinguished road
Same issue

I just had the same light/problem pop up on my 2008 patriot. Of course it now has 37,000 miles on it and the warranty stopped at 36,000. Is this something that can still be covered? I'm really disappointed in this car!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:07 PM

bulliesmt77 is on a distinguished road
This exact problem happed to my wife's 2008 Wrangler Unlimited. All three lights would turn on. When we would bring it in they could never get it to duplicate. Finally we brought it in while they were on and had them scan it. They replaced the module in the center console and it never happened again. For some reason they could only trace the problem while the warning lights were illuminated.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:35 PM

Ride: 2008 Patriot FD II, Sport
BTSSIDEKICK is on a distinguished road
I just had this problem occur. I was driving down the road and felt a sensation of the Jeep 'wobbling' or in other words, a distinct loss of control. This feeling dissappeared very quickly and was immediately followed by the illumination of the ESP/BAS light and the traction control light. I called my dealer, explained the situation and told them about the ESP/BAS light. Before I could mention the TCS light, they guessed that this one was on as well. Common issue perhaps?

That said, these lights as well as the 4WD! light came on last year accompanied by a terrible clicking in the dash (relay apparantly). At that service call, the dealer stated that it was a corrosion problem with a wiring harness beneath the carpet on the drivers side front. Several forum members have mentioned this above in this thread and indeed I posted on the issue last year as well.

In this case, I doubt that the problem is the harness under the carpet - the sensation of 'loss of control' seems to imply that those who posted info regarding sensors in the wheels may be on to something. Its as if the Jeep was 'confused'. It actually felt like I was driving a rutted road and was caught in them to further describe the feeling.

The bloody Jeep goes back in for service Friday so I'll report back. Incidently I was at the dealer just yesterday for a clunking issue on the passenger side rear (4th time no solution). They replaced a strut mount, toe links (second time), several bushing and what may be called a lateral arm. I'm wondering if they F!@ed something up when they replaced essentially the entire suspension on that side... Seems distinctly possible. Oh yeah, there is still another 'arm' of some sort to be replaced which will hopefully alleviate the rattle/clunk. They should be doing all of it Friday.

Incidently, the Jeep is an 08 FDII with only 22,500 KM. Despite my love for the Pat, I have had too many problems. It will be someone elses headache when the lease is up!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 PM

wilp is on a distinguished road
Turns out my issue was the bad wire like everyone else mentioned. I hate this patriot! What a lemon!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Ride: 2013 Dodge Journey SE Plus
klingoff is on a distinguished road
I just experienced this same issue a few minutes ago. At least judging by the responses here it isn't the tranny which was my concern.

Good thing I purchased the extended warranty... my Jeep rolled to 60,000KM last night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bas, clock spring, esp, traction control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.