Oil change frequency - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:16 PM

Ride: Patriote 2008, Tiburon 2000, Challenger 1970
Nel is on a distinguished road
Question Oil change frequency

Ok, I did a quick search and Im all mix up. I did the frist oil change on my Patiot at 4200 km (the patriot told me to do it) and I know its normal. Then the dealer put a stiker saying that the next oil change is at 9200km. I'm now at 9500km and the Jeep dont tell me to change the oil yet. If I look in the maintenance book they says the first oil change is at 10000km. So what I'm suppose to do? Listen to the dealer you want me to do oil change every 5000km (just do to more money?) or go by the jeep computer or the book???

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 12:02 AM

Ride: 2009 Jeep Patriot LTD FDII MyGig, Porsche Cayman S
ploc36 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ploc36
If i were you, have to use common sense to dictate, when you need the change. As a lot depends on how, & where you drive. The old rule of thumb is likely every 5 - 6000Km, but in my instance, if i m using Mobil 1 in normal driving situation, 40% Hwy, 60% city, not dusty enviro, off-road or other situations, i will not change until minimum 12,000Km; you will also need to use the length of time into the equation, as if you are not driving a lot, still minimum 1 oil change a year.
2009 Deep Water Blue, Patriot Ltd, 4x4 FDII, Security & Cargo Grp, Sun & Sound Grp, MyGig with NAV, Chrome Dr handles, Chrome Side Mirrors, Ctr Console DVD, iPod Connection, Jeep window vents, Silver Jeep Compass 17" Mags with FS Affinitys, Original 17" Mags with GoodYear Wrangler SAs, SS Nerf Bars, Mobil 1 5w20, Mobil 1 Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, Mopar Hood Bug Shield.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:32 PM

Ride: Patriote 2008, Tiburon 2000, Challenger 1970
Nel is on a distinguished road
I got the answer. I went to the dealer and ask them. You can wait until the patriot tell you to change the oil.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 PM

That is one way of trusting the electronics, but my guess is that if you use synthetic oil, it will not account for it.
2009 Deep Water Blue, Patriot Ltd, 4x4 FDII, Security & Cargo Grp, Sun & Sound Grp, MyGig with NAV, Chrome Dr handles, Chrome Side Mirrors, Ctr Console DVD, iPod Connection, Jeep window vents, Silver Jeep Compass 17" Mags with FS Affinitys, Original 17" Mags with GoodYear Wrangler SAs, SS Nerf Bars, Mobil 1 5w20, Mobil 1 Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, Mopar Hood Bug Shield.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 PM

Ride: Curator of my old Pat, now my Dad's
Keeping Fingers Crossed is on a distinguished road
You know, I dont rely on the 'change oil indicator light'
I have had the vehicle in for oil changes only to find out 200kms later the thing comes on. The dealership never reset it. (This is something i can do no)
I use the little sticker they put on the inside corner of the windshield to dictate.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:36 AM

pdx_pat is on a distinguished road
I got an 07, so no oil change light.

I just change it every 3 months whether it needs it or not. Yeah, yeah, I'm probably giving the oil companies money they don't need, but the extra money buys me peace of mind.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 AM

ephemera is on a distinguished road
My dealer put a sticker written with the next KM I have to take it in, OR the DATE, whatever comes first. So really, I have driven about 10,000kms and have had the oil changed about 5 times so far!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 AM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Ride: Jaguar X-type 2.5 4x4
tiptronic has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to tiptronic
UK Diesel--Every 12 months or 9,000 miles---EVERY 3 MONTHS?????---What a waste--You got money to Burn os Something ??? What you got in your Pat??a 1955 Stovebolt Straight 6!!!! ??????Modern Synthetics will easy run 15,000 miles between changes!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Senior member/Jan09 POTM

patriotpierre will become famous soon enough
every 5000 km is my ratio...oil change message frequencie approximetly the same.
green exterior and pebble beige interior, 4x4, Freedom I, North special group, 5 speed manual transmission, full spare tire, 17'' aluminum wheels, 215 65 17 owl tires, fog lights, air deflectors, Jeep trailer pack (wiring harness + oil cooler), 2'' hitch receiver class III, mud guards, remote start, locking fuel cap.
Photos-album : http://www.pierregiroux.com/albumsph...ot%202008.html
Old 06-23-2009, 02:04 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot 4x4 FDI
timeburgler is on a distinguished road
I also agree with this. 5000km although a bit conservative is a safe place to be, it also covers those who fall under "Schedule B" in the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpierre View Post
every 5000 km is my ratio...oil change message frequencie approximetly the same.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 PM

My feeling is with Mobil 1, you should get away with changing oil every 8 months or 8000 miles, with maximum 12 months, 10000 miles to spare; incase
you don't have the time.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:14 PM

Ride: 2007 Patriot, Light Khaki, 4x4, CVTII FdriveII,
Terasec is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
i am for every 3k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel View Post
Ok, I did a quick search and Im all mix up. I did the frist oil change on my Patiot at 4200 km (the patriot told me to do it) and I know its normal. Then the dealer put a stiker saying that the next oil change is at 9200km. I'm now at 9500km and the Jeep dont tell me to change the oil yet. If I look in the maintenance book they says the first oil change is at 10000km. So what I'm suppose to do? Listen to the dealer you want me to do oil change every 5000km (just do to more money?) or go by the jeep computer or the book???

thanks
but will vary from say 3k to 8k miles,
depending if i get the time,
if i am planning a long trip, like i am in a few weeks, i get one before the trip regardless,
Old 06-27-2009, 12:30 AM

josiesjeep is on a distinguished road
FWIW,
Wifes is an '07 limited. No oil light specifically, but the check engine light came on this spring. 6000 miles since the last oil change, brought it in to a oil change shop, and shortly after (less then 20 miles) the light turned off. We use full synthetic for easier starts in the cold winter temps.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.