CVT Transmission noise? - Page 4 - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Ride: '08 khaki Patriot Sport 2WD/'80 El Camino
nosirrahg is on a distinguished road
As a follow-up I just spoke to my service rep; he says they found a loose heat shield that was rubbing on the CV axle on the right-hand side, and once they fixed that the noise went away. I have my doubts as to it being something that simple (why would it only do that at crawl speeds, but not at other times?), but it should be fairly easy to duplicate the conditions when I've heard the sound in their parking lot before I take it home later today.

Also as an FYI on the rain leak, they've supposedly ordered new weather stripping for both front doors, so I'll have to take it back to have those replaced when they arrive (back-ordered, I guess they're in high demand!). They replaced a door weather strip the last time around, though I thought/assumed it was the back door on the driver's side...so we'll see what happens. I do know after driving a 2010 Liberty for the past week that I really miss my Patriot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 AM

josiesjeep is on a distinguished road
My wifes Pat with the CVT recently started making a grinding/rubbing noise as well, but only at speed. It drives fine, but there is a high pitched whine that was not there before. Loose guarde, or something internal? Anyone have any ideas? It's an 07 with 25000 miles.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:56 AM

johnlee is on a distinguished road
Different noise attributed to CVT

My 2008 Patriot started making this whirring noise after having about 20K miles. The whirring accelerated with driving speed almost disappearing at low speeds. Went to the dealer and they said my transmission "had gone crazy." Dealer ordered a new transmission. They are installing it on Tuesday. We'll see.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Ride: 08 Patriot Limited, Inferno Red, Power Sunroof,4x4
cairn99 is on a distinguished road
That really bites, but at least they are taking care of it quickly.
All the Xtras
Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 AM

johnlee is on a distinguished road
Smile New tranny solves problem

Got about 600 miles on the new tranny and the noise is gone. The Jeep folks in Fayetteville NC claimed never to have seen a tranny problem before.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:30 PM

ephemera is on a distinguished road
I probably have the same issue, the grinding noise at crawl speeds. I had the dealer check it and said it was the gas pedal making the nosie and it had salt in it or something. The noise did go away but came back in about a weeks time. I really need to get this resolved before the warranty is over.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:02 PM

Remodeler is on a distinguished road
Hey you described it exactly. I was experiencing the same thing. It almost sounds like a wheel in the cvt grinding as it adjusts itself. I took mine in and had to ride with the tech to show him the sound. He was able to make the 08 Patriot Limited 4x4 do it over and over. They called later and said it was the doughnut gasket on the exhaust. We will see if this fixes it.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 AM

Ride: '08 khaki Patriot Sport 2WD/'80 El Camino
nosirrahg is on a distinguished road
My '08 has this same problem; I took it to a dealer (not the one I bought it from, since they're no longer in business ), and they kept it for a week (while they were also supposed to work on fixing my roof leak again, and change my oil w/materials I supplied). They claimed they tightened a heat shield that fixed the noise at crawl speeds, but it's still there. I was verbally told they ordered the seals to fix the leak, and would call me when they came in, but after a few weeks I went back to my paperwork to see how long it'd been, and on the official paperwork they say they were unable to find a leak, and there was no problem! Then to top it off, when I picked it up they tried to charge me something like $30 for an oil change, when I provided them synthetic oil and a filter!! They credited me for the oil change materials, but there should have also been a 1/2-quart of oil left over that I never saw (and now I'm wondering if they just dumped the full 5 quarts in there!!).

I was miffed at first, primarily because I'd a fair amount of money on a rental car (they kept my Pat for like 8 days), and basically all they did was change the oil (which I typically do myself anyway). I'm almost at 36,000 miles, which was the reason I took it in to have these things addressed before the main warrant expired, but I finally decided that A) the power train has a lifetime warranty, so if the problem becomes a costly issue I have a record of bringing it to their attention early on, and B) if the leak continues to be an issue, I can probably get it taken care of myself cheaper than I can rent a car for a week, and C) I will NEVER do business with this dealership again. During the time they had my vehicle I'm not sure they ever called me; I was always having to call them every couple of days to see what the status was, since I kept having to extend the rental car contract every couple of days.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but just bummed that the dealer I bought my Jeep from was only a few blocks away from my office, which was one of the reasons I bought it...now I have to drive 15+ miles to another town to get any work done, which becomes a major scheduling problem.

I'm also discouraged because of the huge variety of diagnoses that are given for this problem; as common as it seems to be there ought to be a confirmed cause/repair sorted out by now. At this point I'm just going to treat the noise as "normal" since it seems to be so prevalent, and be sure to take mine in for it's 5-year checkup to keep my lifetime warranty up to date, so if it does become an issue that requires repair it'll be covered.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 PM

FF128 is on a distinguished road
I had the same thing!

Hey Guys,

My '09 Pat North Ed. had the same noise that appear around the 10k km mark. Did the same thing...went to the dealer and got the "we don't hear anything unusal" line. After taking the service mgr out, then I got the "how did you hear that!?" question. They kept it for another day only to be told that this was a normal "selenoid" sound. Funny?? I never heard this before! Anyway...if you look back through the threads here on JP.com...you'll see that many of us have been is this situation before. After three unsuccessful trips to the dealership, I finally went to another Jeep dealership who immediately stated that this sound was not normal. They said they needed to keep it and they would let me know ASAP. Ninety minutes later, I got a call stating that a new tranny has been ordered. I had my Pat back by noon the next day! Although they could not give me a concrete reason for the noise, their own research with the component manufacturer revealed there are some bad bearing systems out there. The mfr gets the tranny back and does their own autopsy. Ever since the new tranny went in, that low speed scraping noise is gone! If you continue to get the run around, try another dealer. It solved my issue right away...and I have a new service dept now! Hope this helps. I found the information gained through the members on this site gave me the knowledge and "ammo" to go in and state facts...yup...made them listen!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 PM

starrbelle is on a distinguished road
I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot with just 16,000 kms...I bought brand new in Sept. 2008. I started having this grinding/rattling noise as well when driving at slow speeds. I took it in to the dealership...they told me they too could hear it. When they called me to come back in and pick it up they said I needed to bring it back in when the foreman was in. So, I did. They then told me the noise had to get worse before they could figure it out. The noise got worse so I brought it back in. The foreman apparently took my car home over night and said he couldn't hear the noise. The minute I got in the car the noise was there. I then took it in to a different dealership...they told me the noise is a characteristic of the CVT transmission and that they couldn't do anything about it. The noise has gotten louder and now my car almost stalls out when idling (at a red light or waiting in a parking lot). I took the vehicle back in AGAIN. They again told me that the noise was normal and that it didn't stall out for them. I feel like I have gotten the run around from both these dealerships and now have sent in a letter to Chrysler Canada just this past Friday. Hopefully they will offer me some assistance, especially now reading that several other people are having the same problems.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 PM

ephemera is on a distinguished road
Maybe we should make a list of dealerships that are *aware* that there is a problem so we know who we can go to.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 PM

FF128 is on a distinguished road
Grimsby CDJ Ontario

The CDJ dealership is the one that delt with my tranny noise quickly and efficiently. Not sure where you are from, but if you are anywhere in the GTA Niagara area...might be worth the drive??
Old 02-23-2010, 10:12 PM

Ride: 2013 Wrangler. Owned 2 Patriots.
Afmcronnie will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Afmcronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
I probably have the same issue, the grinding noise at crawl speeds. I had the dealer check it and said it was the gas pedal making the nosie and it had salt in it or something. The noise did go away but came back in about a weeks time. I really need to get this resolved before the warranty is over.
The GAS PEDAL? Are you for real? They told you the GAS PEDAL? The pedal is electronic.

My Jeep won a war. Your Honda cuts my grass...

The Earth is covered 80% by water, Jeep covers the rest.

Many vehicles will get you into remote places, a Wrangler will get you home....
Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Krocker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The pedal is electronic
lol!

How come it needs gas if its an electronic pedal?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM

starrbelle is on a distinguished road
I have gone to both Maple Ridge Chrysler and Coquitlam Chrysler...both in BC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.