Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Evic install

12K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Rskitall 
#1 ·
Would it be possible to install a EVIC on a non EVIC patriot. I sat in a Patriot that had one and i like it.Not sure if it would be like a plug and play thing or what.Or would it be easier to get the whole thing (tach EVIC Speedometer etc..)

#2 ·
Not sure if it is a PnP setup. Depending on what you want it for, a Scangauge may be an alternative and a bit easier to install. If you want to simply monitor MPG's, engine functions, and such, Scangauge (based on what I have read) should do the trick. If you want the TPMS and other functions, then that's a different ball park.

Either way, it would probably be best to have it done by the dealer. Components that affect the odometer "may" have to be changed and that is against the law in itself unless properly done and registered.

#3 ·
I would first investigate whether there are multiple physical configurations of the instrument cluster. If there is only one configuration (the EVIC stuff is there just not lit up ever), then you may be halfway home. If you let some sunlight bounce off the matt portion of the speedometer and you can see an outline of the LED arrays forming the EVIC, then you may have a cluster that will work.

Next up would be applying the same diagnostic approach to the wiring harness. If they make only one wiring harness and the little plugs just aren't plugged in, most of the rest of the task may be easy to accomplish.

If not, I would imagine it would be price prohibitive to have EVIC installed.

I suspect you are out of luck because the bean counters would have figured that there is a lot of wire to be saved by making more than one configuration.

Good luck. I would be interested in knowing how you made out.

#4 ·
I know it's not the same but I installed a map light and I am gald I got the wiring harness but it pretty much just plugged in with the harness.I don't think the Evic is there but I will check on my break.I notice the Evic on the other Patrioit had a button like the speedometer and that is not there.I was thinking of just getting the EVIC from the Junkyard but I guess I will have to investigate a little more which means taking sh** apart

#5 ·
I am actually surprised you don't have the EVIC. I have a 26E packaged '09 Patriot and I have the EVIC. Must have been included after the 2007 model I guess. The more I sort of think about it, the more I think it could be installed (assuming your actual instrument cluster allows for it) and just have the computer reflashed to recognize/control it.

#6 ·
I'm not sure you'll be able to do it easily. Look at all the different instrument cluster options for the Patriot. This comes out the 08 Parts Manual.

#7 ·
well it's not there so I will have to find one at the junk yard. can anyone take a pic of the connectors to see if they are even any in there

#10 ·
It is board based. I don't believe that the wiring (number of harnesses or wires in it) will be any different between the two.
You would have to get a whole new instrument panel, and that brings up issues with the odometer. I believe that data is stored in the instrument cluster.

What data do you want to see? The scangauge II is good for most anything the EVIC will tell you. The majority of the personal settings can be set with just the keys. If it is a setting that can only be changed via EVIC see if your dealer can change it by hooking it up to their scan tool.

#8 ·
THis is often a subject on Caliber & SRT4 ForumZ--I just checked it out---I think that the general opinon is that for the extra info you get from EVIC it just is't worth the expense & hassle. It isnt plug & play & your non EVIC Pat will not have the required sensors fitted to make it work anyway.i.e. Compass, TPMS, head light delay, auto door lock 0n/off , miles till empty , average mpg etc etc. The general concensus of opinion was it would be cheaper to trade in & get a Patriot/Caliber with it allready fitted.

#12 ·
There's a small screen the left hand dial on your dash binnacle. Depending on your model, this small screen displays information about your vehicle. For example, compass heading, mpg, radio info etc. I, quite by accident, have managed to purchase the LTD Pat which includes this cool feature along with alloys sunroof, load cover and many other sought after bits that aren't "standard" How lucky am I? :banana:

#11 ·
for some reason no commands through my keyless entry will work(turn off chirp on lock,auto lock off etc etc.dealer says because I have a aftermarket alarm they won't change my settings with a scan tool.I can drill a little hole if needed in my own plastic cover for the button that is not a big deal but it would be nice to change the settings when I want.

#13 ·
If they are not willing to scan it for the personal settings, I would assume that they aren't going to help when it needs to be reflashed/reprogrammed with the new instrument cluster.

What was their reasoning? Are they afraid they are going to mess up the alarm? Do they want to charge you to do it? Who put in the alarm? Did you ever try the settings before the alarm was installed? Can the alarm be "disabled" easily to see if the fob settings will work?

I can see why an alarm might mess with the key fob settings that involve locking the Jeep as part of the process. Do the functions that do not require pushing lock on the key fob work? Like auto unlock (where you cycle the key in the ignition and push the unlock button of the Jeep)?

#16 ·
You got it mate ...& if you scrollthrough with little black button you will come to Personal Setting so you can set up your door locking , light delays , metric readout. etc etc... not forgetting MPG & tank miles till empty.......Oh Yea Dorra Jarre...I think I went to School with her or her cousin Ken Tuckyfriedchicken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.