Jeep Patriot Forums banner

115V Power Outlet

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Copper 
#1 ·
Hi
In case of another car can't start in winter, can I use it for block heater to warm up the engine?

Thanks

#2 ·
I would say it would be a bad idea. Any type of heating element draws a lot of current. I assume your 115 power converter is intended for small electronic devices while the car is running. However, to have the proof, I would check the manual and see what the amp or watt rating for the converter. I'm sure you will find that it is rated for something in the range of portable devices and gaming systems, that don't draw a whole lot of current. However, if you hook up a microwave, or a space heater you might be in trouble.

#4 ·
It works when the car isn't running, but you need the key in and it draws a lot of power. I just took it camping, and it wouldn't even power my george foreman grill LOL... it was useful for light, cell phone charger, etc... but if it's not running, it will drain the battery pretty fast.

#5 · (Edited)
The factory electrical system is pretty limited with its 120/140 amp alternator and its 525 cold cranking amp battery. You wouldn't want to put too big of an electrical load on it. :( The 115 volt receptacle in my console displays a rating of 150 watts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.