Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Performance Difference: 2.0 VS 2.4 Engine

20K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  RossoRacer 
#1 ·
Easy Question:

Does the 2.4 L Patty Engine run any smoother, idle any better and do better on highway speeds passing/pulling into traffic than the 2.0?

My 2.0 runs rough at idle, with the a-c on at a stop light has stallled, with passengers couldn't accelerate up a steep hill and repeatedly needs fuel injection cleaner/ mid range gas to maintain best idle/performance.

It's been back to dealers repeatedly, computer's been changed and it still runs the same.

Is the 2.4 any better and will we feel any "seat of the pants" difference...including a smoother idle and no stalling with a-c on at stoplights running regular gas?

#2 ·
My 2.4 runs smoothly. I got over 35000 out of my first set of plugs and it was only skipping a little under stress, never at an idle. I'm approaching 60,000 miles now and it still runs smooth as silk, even when it cold out (coldest its been here this year is 0 F). Starts fine even after being out in the cold all day.

Is your still under warranty? Lean on the dealer to fix it. I've never had a car from brand new to 10 years/250,000 that couldn't run smooth if appropriately tuned.

#3 ·
Ignatz makes a good point about the spark plugs. If you are near 30,000 miles (or over) and haven't done so yet, change the spark plugs. These engines use a standard, non-platinum tipped spark plug that need to be changed every 30k miles. Check/change the air filter too. You might also want to try the gas pedal reset trick or disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset the entire powertrain computer.

Lastly, if you haven't had the dealer change the oil and just used a quick change place, it's possible they may have used too thick of an oil. This would be a bit of a long shot I suppose, but maybe have the oil changed and make sure they use the recommended 5W-20. Some have posted that the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) will not work correctly with a thick engine oil. I personally run 5W-30 and have no issues with rough idles, but 10W-something (or higher) could be a problem.

#4 ·
wow, get ur dealership to fix those issues. Although you have the 2.0 I don't think you should be having those kind of issues.

I have the 2.4 that runs amazing! I can go uphill pulling a boat/trailer (1800-1900lbs) with ease, and thats with the jeep loaded with fishing/camping gear and cool full of beer and food. I can even do all this with the AC running.

I have changed my spark plugs and air filter at 50,000kms. I also use fuel injector cleaner in my fuel tank at every oil change (5000kms)

#5 ·
....or check/replace the fuel filter. If I recall, many owners here found that the original fuel filter was getting clogged rather easily and when they changed the fuel filter it alleviated many of their issues.

#6 · (Edited)
It's now somebody else's problem.
For the past 2 years, multiple dealerships and factory reps changed out parts/computers/filters and it still had a rough idle at stop lights with the a-c on as it always is in S. Fla.

Found a 2011 Latitude,2.4 L/ Auto 4X2, Black Pearl, Leather Trimmed, Nav/Media Center, 17 Inch Tires, Alloy Rims.

Tires feel different, handling feels crisper as if they tweaked the suspension/steering...and the extra 20 HP is easily felt in the seat of the pants.

Road feel is different, definitely smoother and it could be the tire combination.

Highway Acceleration seems improved, could be a possible axle difference if there is one.

Overall upgraded experience from the basic '09 2.0 Sport we had.

Leather steering wheel, seating surfaces and nav/media center add just enough bling...but not too much.

#9 ·
2.0L with autostick doesn't have gears because it's CVT. But it is tuned to get best MPG in any way possible, especially at cost to performance, which as we all know can be rather counterproductive. Tuning and base horsepower difference is what you felt, for the most part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.