Jeep Patriot Forums banner

EVIC Install Post-Factory

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jeep_creeper 
#1 ·
Is it possible to install an EVIC in to a Pat after factory delivery. I've had mine for a month now, and it did not come equipped with an EVIC, but having that black unused space on the left gauge is freaking driving me nuts to a point that I want to add an EVIC on there just to have something in that empty void.

I do realize that it would take work since a non-EVIC Pat would most likely not have the TP sensors installed, and so forth. However, I would assume that the main computer would be able to plug right in to the EVIC for the mpg calculator though.

Is it possible or practical to add.

#2 ·
It is probably do-able if you are a handy guy but I would think the project would be price prohibitive. It would all depend on whether there is only one dash configuration that, in your case, is just not lit up/hooked up versus having to actually replace the instrument cluster.

#3 ·
I ordered a scangauge for this very reason. http://www.scangauge.com/ But my guess is that everything it needs is already there but the display. Since the scangauge uses the obdII connector to get all of that info and much much more from the ecu I would assume that if you were able to get the evic itself and if it works with the sport cluster that it would just work. I'm not sure if you are talking about throttle position sensor or tire pressure monitoring system (tmps, I know) but they are both defintely there on all patriots. The TPS for sure since it wouldn't run without it and the tpms is there even though on the sports all it does i alarm if the pressure gets low so I'm not sure about actual psi readings. One thing I did notice was that the limited comes with a slightly different cluster whereby it's got a silver trim instead of just all black like the sport. I tried ordering the trim thinking I could just swap it out but it's all one part which was around $270 to buy. The only thing that might be is this part may be the only one with the connectors, mount etc for the evic. I will most likely pull mine out when I finish up my alarm install to hide the brain and possibly some of the sensors so I'll try to see if I can get it apart and see whats going on in there.

Reactions: jeep_creeper
#4 ·
That's pretty neat. I just looked at the web page for the scanguage. Not sure how I could mount it. Wish I Were better mechanically inclined.

#6 ·
The only way to get the EVIC is to purchase a Compass/Patriot with it. The problem is not the hardware, but the software. All of the software which controls the various modules is specific to the VIN number and the options that were installed at the factory.

Try to add a factory option like the steering wheel audio control and you will find that they do not work because the software is not present and the starscan tool will not let you add the software since it was not originally installed at the factory.

The starscan tool is interesting because to do software updates (I had the performance TSB done) it is connected through the internet to Chrysler at the same time it is connected to the vehicle- only software that goes with the VIN is allowed and/or updated.

So, in a nut shell, only options that come in kits (like the uconnect addon) or are purely mechanical in nature can be added after the fact.

#7 ·
Some people just want the mpg and related fuel mileage stuff.. However, I'd really want to be able to change many of the default preferences.. The usual way is to go through the EVIC.. There are non-evic way to change few of the preferences but not for all of them and some of the procedures does not work at all..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.