Jeep Patriot Forums banner

How to Reset Chage Oil (w/o EVOC)

111K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  LowGMC 
#1 ·
Hello I have a ‘08 Jeep Pat, and had the first oil change done at the dealership and they did not reset the change oil indictor on the dash. I have an owner’s manual but it is in the safety deposit box and did not want to have to go get it or wait 3 hours at the dealership to reset my computer. Can anyone tell me how to reset the change oil?

#2 ·
You keep your owner's manual in a safety deposit box?

And I did not even know their was a change oil light.... :)

#3 ·
I wasn't aware of the feature on the 2008 models, either. I was hoping it wasn't your oil pressure light!!! :eek:

From the manual (available from www.jeep.com under "for owners"):

Engine Oil Change Indicator System
Oil Change Required
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.

Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the Trip Odometer button on the instrument cluster. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

#15 ·
To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.
That did the trick! Thanks Brett!
The "master mechanic" at my dealer once told me that the Patriot detects whether the oil is too dirty and then the light comes on automatically, what a load!

#11 ·
Fromwhat I heard it's not just programmed for miles. There is a quality monitoring system associated with it as well. I believe and my dealer confirmed it is set to 6000 miles since last reset OR oil quality limits are reached.

Mine first came on at 6000 and every 6000 since resets. I have not seen it come on when it wasn't near intervals of 6000.

#14 ·
Its a standard feature for all 08's. Mine is bone stock "D" package with no options and it has an oil change light that I have to reset myself everytime because the waterheads at the dealer never do it when they change the oil.

#17 ·
I just changed my oil at 5000 miles. The light was not on. I drive 85% highway, do not tow, and the first 5000 were in warm weather. The type of driving you do determines the computer's indication of when to change oil. All city driving, short trips and towing will trigger an earlier change interval.

#21 ·
My '10 only has 1800 miles and I'm already going to do an oil change. The light hasn't come on, but I didn't change it at 500ish like I was going to for break in. :doh: If the light is really set at 6000 then it's only going to monitor every other oil change for me. I'm not going to go more than 3400 for each oil change. It's not good to.

#22 ·
that highly depends on what oil you use.
in europe for the diesel engine we use 5W-30, a long life oil that we change every 15000 km (9000 miles) according to the book, with no probs at all

#24 ·
Not sure why mine came on.

I use synthetic and always have. Change it every 5000ish miles.

At 36,000 miles it came on when i shouldn't have to change for another couple 1000.

First and only time it's come on.

Oil level is fine.

Will try and reset and see what happens.

Weird.

BTW- '10 Latitude, auto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.