Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Autostick

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Tony1911 
#1 ·
Just curious as to how, exactly, the autostick works. I am reluctant to play with it, as when in drive and not moving, I can put it into 1st gear. Are there supposed to be more gears, and if so, does the car have to be moving to shift into them? Not fully explained in the manual. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
the autostick simulates a manual gear box, allowing to shift gears when you want to, without a clutch.

when stopped, you are in 1st gear, you can shift to the 2nd gear when the engine is at about 1600 rpm. You can then shift to any gear you need. For fuel economy, try to stay under 2000 rpm. If you forget to shift, the Jeep will do it just before the rpm go into the red (really bad for fuel economy and for the engine too).

The gears are 1,2,3,4,5,6 then it goes back to Drive. If you are using the Autostick and want to go back to Drive, hold the stick to the right for a few seconds.

Edit: Note that this is a really summed up explanation. There are actually no gear in the CVT, the 'gears' I'm refering to are preset ratios that can be selected by the Autostick.

You can mess with the Autostick as much as you want, the only problem you could have is bad MPG.. and maybe engine wear if you are not careful with the RPM (but I think the computer is degned to prevent damage to the engine and transmission)

I hope this helped you.

#3 ·
The gears are 1,2,3,4,5,6 then it goes back to Drive.

The "D" position also has an "overdrive" function, dropping the rpms lower than "6". I use the Autostick to keep my rpms above 1500 when coasting up to a stop. The computer cuts the fuel flow off to the injectors when coasting above 1500 rpm to increase mpg and improve engine braking.

#5 ·
Havnt got it on my Pat ( Diesel 6 speed) but when I had it on my Caliber I used it mainly for Rapid Overtaking or helping with engine braking down sharp hills. I just ust to slap it down 2 or 3 ratios.

#6 ·
In some ways you can use it like a manual -- I find it very useful on rural roads. I notch down a gear on a downgrade to let the engine hold it back instead of smoking the brakes. Or notch it up a gear to save fuel at speeds under 45MPH.

Also, I don't know where you live, but I've discovered a way the autostick can be helpful in snow, like when going up a grade in D. Normally I can't tell if the engine is racing for more power or if its just spinning the wheels. Instead, I'll notch it into a 'gear' and if it starts to rev I know its spinning -- so I back off the gas and recover my traction. :smiley_thumbs_up: Nifty, huh? (I treat the ESP like the airbag: is nice to have in a crisis, but its better not to rely on it.)

#7 ·
Hi,

I want to buy an 2010 Jeep Patriot with the CVT but I have difficulties to understand a couple of details.

I want a Limited version with the CVT2L because I want the "Trail Rated" but I am a little afraid that the CVT will become a pain after a while. I heard about the Autostick transmition add-on but I am not able to find if we can have the autostick with a "TrailRated" Patriot using the CVT2L.

Also, is it true that if I buy the "TrailRated" version of the Patriot the Jeep itself has more clearance than the others Jeep Patriot ? Like 1 or 2 inch of ground clearance ?

Thanks !

#8 ·
You are correct on the ground clearance, about 1". The FDII DOES NOT have Autostick, but it more than makes up for it by adding a 19:1 low ratio, skid plates, tow hooks and fog lights. If you are going to do anything off-road, the FDII is the way to go. If you are more concerned with driving on the road in the snow, with an occaisional jaunt up a primitive road, then the FDI would suit you just fine. The FDI gets better MPG.

#9 ·
Thanks,

But if I choose FDII, it is still the same kind of CVT as the FDI without the Autostick right ? By that I mean that having the 19.1 ratio doesn't let you manually "switch" (virtual) gears right ?

Actually I think I'm gonna go for the Limited version but without the FDII. I only want to have 4x4 for winter and sometimes I have to go to my cabin and in the woods but nothing serious like Rubicon trails or stuff like that. But I will plan to add 1 or 2 inch of ground clearance just for the look.

Thanks again !

#11 ·
APT, excellent post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.