Jeep Patriot Forums banner

i need help with my back wheels

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  sask_riot 
#1 ·
ok here it is. last summer i hauled my 900lbs jetski all summer and unfortunatly i forgot to unhook it from the truck for 3 days. result= my back coils fell asleep. so had to change them, at same time i got myself a pair of kyb shocks soo in the end i got a full brand new back suspension. before i baught the coils i looked everywhere to find what they call cargo coils but none could be found for the patriot. DO THEY EXIST???

after my suspension was changed i noticed something that wasnt like that when i bought the jeep. my back wheel are like this ( //---\\ ) they where like that when my suspension was compressed which i beleive is normal but now my jeep is empty (no cargo) and has a brand new suspension in back but still looks like its compressed and wheels still inclined.

what could be the problem?????

i need help finding this one because i want to put a lift kit on it but gotta get this fixed first. i took it up on the lift and nothing seems loose nore broken nore bent.

#3 ·
Are the replacement coils OEM or aftermarket? Make sure they have the same load rating and height.

I would also look at how much tongue weight you are putting on the hitch. Max is 150bs or 10-15% of total trailer weight. No way 150lbs should permanently sag the OEM coils. Heavy gear in the back might do it, so calculate your weights on that as well.

#4 ·
Any control arm issues I wonder? Have you inspected all of the rubber bushings in the rear? Since there's no factory camber bolts in the rear I don't think an alignment would help much would it?

#5 ·
Looks like an alignment issue

#6 ·
I'd shoot for the alignment first. If something else is wrong, they'll find it. I can't imagine 900lbs would wreck your vehicle that badly. That is the capacity of the Patriot w/out a towing package (and I hear stories of people significantly transgressing that). Granted the weight would be distributed so it wouldn't all be on your rear end, but most of it would be because that's where the cargo area is. You didn't see anything bent under there? Good, nothing should be bent under there. I'd like to think you can get out of this cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.