Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Tpms reset

52K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  blackspider 
#1 ·
I put 225/65/17 on my '11 latitude x and wanted to know how to reset the tpms to put 35lbs in the tires w/o alarm going off and also to have the speedo recal for the larger size. Will dealer reset this or do I buy a AEV procal. Will the AEV procal for th JK work in my patriot cause that's the only one I can find online.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#2 ·
Not sure if you need more than the 32ish psi that's stated, even for larger tires (I could be wrong). I don't think the tpms goes off until the pressure reaches something over 40psi (I've hit 40 or 41 without anything going off before). As far as I'm aware, the dealer can only reset the speedometer for 28" tires. Mine wanted $75 to reflash after I got my new tires. Didn't do it. I just know to add a couple mph to what the speedometer says.

#3 ·
The TPMS are only there to guard against low tire pressures (below 28-30 psi I believe). If you have 35 psi in there, it may just take a day or two for the system to reset itself. The factory 17" rims with the 215/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's call for 35 psi and I've run 38-40 psi in them without any TPMS indicator showing. Soon as they go below 30 psi though the light comes on.

#4 ·
yea it should only go off if the pressure is below 32psi. firestone took the old tmps sensors off my old wheels and i put larger tires on (44psi) and they said it should reset within a day or so. It was about 5 days and I called them and they said bring it back in. We didnt have time and a few days later it went off and has been fine since. just give it maybe 500 miles or so. you should be good.

#6 ·
My snows(no sensors) have been on since mid December and I have yet to get that dreaded dashboard light come on or the startup chime. Me thinks there is something wrong. But hey at this point I really don't care to be staring at a yellow light and hearing dings all winter long.

I'll revisit this in the spring when the regular tires go back on.

BTW I did the 15 minute battery disconnect and it did nothing. In fact my EVIC is still showing the summer tires psi when they were taken off. It should be showing broken dashes at all 4 corners when you have no sensors in the tires just as it did last winter when I made the swap.

#8 ·
A couple of points gleaned from my reading back into the forum:

1) doing the battery unhook...seems consensus is leave it unhooked for at least half an hour.

2) when re-setting or new TPMS you should drive for at least 15 minutes at a speed above 30mph (I think that is right)

Remember, this is only my recall from reading old posts, I may be off a twitch.

#9 ·
I do a lot of stop and go city driving with a 15 km highway drive thrown in from time to time. This time it went off on a sustained 110 kph / 25 km highway drive.

I guess the wheels need to be spinning at a certain speed for certain amount of time for the TPMS light and chime to be triggered. City driving no matter how long doesn't seem to do it.

#10 ·
This was my experience.

Temps went down below zero,
and the warning light came on.

I checked the pressure, 20 psi on all 4 tires.
Filled up tires to 38 psi,
warning light went off instantly and stayed off.

Not sure about this need to relearn,
driving above 30 mph,
or having to go 30 miles.

Anyways,
that is what happened to me.
Your results may be different.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.