Jeep Patriot Forums banner

How to replace the Cabin Filter

46K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  kramer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The cabin (A/C) filter is located behind the glove box.

Open the glove box.
Push the sides, at the back of the glove box, together to get the glove box to drop down completely.
You will see the fan housing and there is a plastic cover with airflow stamped on it.
Take the cover off and replace the filter.
Reverse the process.

hope this helps.

happy christmas, mark.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the filter I don't have because of my Jeep being FDI rather than FDII, correct? So will the cover with airflow stamped on it be there, or will I need to purchase one if I want to install a filter?

Thanks,
G

#5 ·
yea, mine didn't come with one either, i ran over to napa auto parts and picked one up for $12 bucks and put it in...just pop open the slot and push it in :smiley_thumbs_up:

#9 ·
I know old post, but do the 2011 have cabin filters, will have to check it out, no where did I see it in the manual or scheduled maintenance, but might not have had the glasses on when looking at that section ;) if I understand it correctly they all a spot for it just some don't have it?? so if I don't have the filter should be able to buy one and stick it in?

#10 ·
cabin air filter

my 2010 patriot has a cabin air filter in it only reason i know about it being there is because i checked.:p

#12 ·
mine did not have one, but for 5.49 from rock auto it has one now, plus there was a $5 rebate, so i basically just paid for shipping :)

#17 · (Edited)
just call your local jeep dealer. they will have the standard ones for around $10.

or you can go to amazon. type in : Jeep Patriot Cabin Air Filter

You will see some results..but up above you can specify your vehicle. Do that.

I saw 2 on Amazon.com for the Patriot. The standard for $6. Then there is a special Fram Fresh Air filter (lightly scented) for like $22.

keep in mind that unless you order $25 or more from amazon...you have to pay shipping.

I would give you a direct link, but I am typing from my phone.

but yes...you do need to make site it is for your jeep, as many different cars have them an can come in many different sizes and shapes

#18 ·
FRAM Part # CA10118 Flexible Panel; Extra Guard (Rebate/Promotion Available! See Promotions & Rebates Page for Details.)

$5.22
Add to Cart

from Rock auto, plus another 5% with the discount code!!!

#19 ·
Just went to the dealer to get an 18,000 mile service (about 3,000 miles late...) on my 2011 Latitude X. I had a coupon for a $21 oil change, and the rest of the service consisted of tire rotation and cabin air filter. Well the tire rotation they wanted $54 and the cabin air filter they said would cost $88. I agreed to pay $21 for the rotation out of convenience (still feeling scammed) and skipped the air filter.

Glad I did since I just ordered a brand new one from Amazon for $17, the 'FRAM CF10729 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter' and it looks to take about 2 minutes to install. Will try to update once I get the filter and put it in.

#20 ·
Yes, never buy a filter from the dealership. I've always changed all of my filters myself. They want an absurd amount of money for the filter and to "install" it. How long does it take to remove the glovebox and a change filters??

I always go to advance auto or auto zone to get new filters. Its cheap and easy. As far as the tire rotation goes. I went to my dealer and they only charged 18.95 for the tire rotation. So... I don't know where they got their prices from.

#21 ·
On my 2011 the glove box has a restraint cord that keeps the glove box door from swinging out of control after you pop the sides in and release it.

That keeper kept the door from totally clearing the filter door in the blower housing so I removed (unhooked) the cord and left it unhooked.

Two months later no issues at all. And the filter door is way easier to get to. The keeper cord is on the back, upper right of the glove box side panel and is under significant strain when the door is popped off the pivots, so be careful, it anchors into a plastic clip that would be easy to break.

And, for the record, my 2011 sport with only air and cvt as options had a filter.

#22 ·
That cord is attached to a damper on mine I believe (its been since last summer since I checked). It keeps the glove box from flopping down when opened

#24 ·
I'm not sure if I said this here or elsewhere but..

Just a tip, if you're replacing you cabin air filter, spray it with some Febreeze. :)

#25 · (Edited)
The only problem with not reconnecting the dampener is, now that the right side of your glove box is not supported it will make all sorts of rattling sounds.

Because this is a topic on cabin air filters, and because you have to remove the string that feeds into the dampener to access the cabin air filter location, I wanted to share a quick and dirty repair article on what to do when the loop to the dampener string comes undone from the brass fastener that the enginerds at Chrysler Automotive decided to use.

The short story long is just tie a simple overhand knot in the end of the string. You have to make sure that the black slip joint clip on the right side of the glove box has the string threaded through it first, but after trying without any success at all, whatsoever, to try and remove the dampener (a screwdriver didn't want to work, non of my sockets wanted to fit onto the bolt, and on account of not having my 100 pound Filipino to squeeze his small hands into the small space being off today, I just said **** it I am going to tie a knot at the end of it and when it comes out I will tie it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.