Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Oil Changes and Maintenance Schedules

121K views 118 replies 65 participants last post by  nordraw 
#1 ·
There are two Jeep Patriot Maintenance schedules, depending on your driving conditions. Almost everyone I know falls into schedule "B" (see criteria below).

That means you should change your oil every 5000 km (3000 miles). In the real world you can probably stretch this out a bit, especially if you are using a 5W-30 synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum.

Under no conditions should you try to stretch things beyond 10,000 km (6,000 miles). In that case you would be exceeding both schedule "B" and the more relaxed schedule "A" for less harsh driving conditions.

Schedule “B”. It is for vehicles that are operated under the conditions that are listed below and at the beginning of the schedule.

• Day or night temperatures are below 0° C (32° F)
  • Stop and go driving
  • Extensive engine idling
  • Driving in dusty conditions
  • Short trips of less than 16 km (10 miles)
  • More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather, above 32° C (90° F)
  • Trailer towing
  • Taxi, police, or delivery service (commercial service)
  • Off-road or desert operation
  • Heavy loading
NOTE: If ANY of these apply to you then change your engine oil every 5 000 km (3,000 miles) or 3 months, whichever comes first and follow schedule “B”.

NOTE: If ANY of these apply to you then change your coolant every 170 000 km (102,000 miles) or 60 months, whichever comes first and follow schedule “B”.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10 000 km (6,000 miles) or 6 months whichever comes first.

CAUTION: Failure to perform the required maintenance items may result in damage to the vehicle.

See less See more
#74 ·
I change mine every 3K miles, just an old habit. My oil change light just came on, and I have almost 1K miles to go for the next change, it never came on for the last one so I never re-set it, so I'm guessing the change indicator is telling me to change at about 5k miles.

#76 ·
The 5W-20, 10,000 kms oil change guideline is assuming you are driving in moderate temperature and using synthetic oil. Here in Canada, winter mornings are -20C (-10F) and July afternoons are +35C (100F). I would use 5-20 Synthetic in the winter and 5W-30 synthetic (and possibly 5w-30 conventional) in the summer. 5-20 conventional oil in +30C weather is asking for trouble, as the "20" means the oil acts as an SAE 20 at operating temperature, which is fairly thin, and even thinner in high heat. There's usually sale on synthetic oil like Pennzoil Ultra or Castrol Syntec in the $20 range, which will flow nicely in winter and not thin out to water in the heat.

Also, put an extra 200ml's of oil when filling it up (4.3-4.4l total), to compensate for the oil burn off that happens. Last oil change I put in 4.2L's and only 3.9L came out 3 months later (and the engine was cold too)

#77 ·
Just this past week I changed the oil in my wife's 2007 Jeep Patriot aka "Jeep Jeep" with 5W-30 Pennzoil that I purchased from our local NAPA auto parts store and a NAPA Gold Oil Filter. When I got home I contacted Crystal Chysler and asked one of the service advisors about running the 5W-30 oil, he stated that the 5W-20 was designed to be used for the hemi engines, it would be okay for the Jeep Jeep and it would not void the warranty. Thank you for the numerous information on the Jeep.
Ben

#79 ·
Re-read the Owners Manual and try again.

From the OM...

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Do not
start the engine.
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

#80 · (Edited)
CDN PAT - you want to drain your oil when the engine is at operating temperature...at least that's what my automech teacher taught us, and here's why: at operating temp, all of the oil is hot and viscous enough to all drain out when you open the drain plug.

Based on this theory, if you change your oil when your engine is cold, not all of it will come out because it's too thick to move down to the drain plug. Seems reasonable to me, and my automech teacher was really freakin smart, so I'm on board...anyone see discrepancies in this theory?

Plus, maybe it's just me (and I'm no mechanic) but I don't think an engine thats only 4 years old should really be burning off any oil??? If you think about all of the lubricated parts in your engine, it stands to reason that about 1/3L didn't make it down because it was too cold (therefore, thick) to come out before you plugged the drain plug...?

#81 ·
Here is my info...

I bought with 49 kms (30 miles) on the vehicle, am at 6,000 kms (3,730 miles) a month later and no oil change light.

I did change break in oil at 5,000 kms. I just couldn't go the 12,000 kms the manual said I could!

I'm at sea level in what is called a temperate rain forest zone so rarely below freezing and rarely above 25° C or 75° F.

So I use owners manual recommendations and due to my type of driving (no city, 20% urban, 80% highway or two lane) plan on having the engine last a good long time.
I'm always grabbing my wife's or son's vehicle and taking it out for a real run as they just toot around town...got to get that running gear up to temp and boil all the moisture out of things.

#82 ·
I'm new here and hate to dig up an old thread, but have a question about oil change intervals.

The wife just picked up a new 2012 Patriot Limited over the weekend and I was reading the service info which states the FIRST oil change is 8,000 miles. I remember some of the cars I bought in the past that required you to get the oil changed after the first 1000 miles or less, but Jeep is telling us 8k before the first oil change.

Its covered nonetheless by the warranty if something does go wrong, plus I don't have to pay for the oil changes at the dealership. 8000 miles just doesn't seem right to me, but if that's what they recommend then I guess that's why they get.

#83 · (Edited)
NTE 8K miles or 6 months.

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
The Scheduled Maintenance services listed in this
manual must be done at the times or mileages specified
to protect your vehicle warranty and ensure the best
vehicle performance and reliability. More frequent maintenance
may be needed for vehicles in severe operating
conditions, such as dusty areas and very short trip
driving. Inspection and service should also be done
anytime a malfunction is suspected.
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
On Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)
equipped vehicles, “Oil Change Required” will be displayed
in the EVIC and a single chime will sound,
indicating that an oil change is necessary.
On Non-EVIC equipped vehicles, “Change Oil” will flash
in the instrument cluster odometer and a single chime
will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.
Based on engine operation condition, the oil change
indicator message will illuminate; this means that service
is required for your vehicle.
Have your vehicle serviced
as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).
NOTE:
• The oil change indicator message will not monitor the
time since the last oil change. Change your vehicle’s
oil if it has been six months since your last oil change
and even if the oil change indicator message is NOT
illuminated.
• Change your engine oil more often if you drive your
vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
• Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever
comes first.

#84 ·
oil change indicator

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice?,my jeep patriot 2009 model limited edition recently had the oil changed,Ive tried resetting the oil change indicator as described here,Ive done it several times and whenever I reset it,the next time I start the car the indicator dosent come on,but the next time it does come on! any advice?

#85 ·
Robert, it can be a little tricky until you get the knack for it. I just got done resetting mine again, but had to do the procedure twice as the first time it didn't take.

Turn the ignition to the ON position, but don't start the engine.
Depress the gas pedal slowly to the floor and slowly release it three times (you don't want to do it fast, more like 3 seconds to perform the entire cycle of depress then release).
Turn the ignition to the OFF position.

#90 ·
If the flash update is to fix not being able to reset the change oil message by the procedure outlined in the owners manual, I'd say that should be a non charge flash!

#93 ·
que?

#94 ·
I get oil changed at dealership every 3K or so only because I get a coupon for oil change, tire rotation plus new wipers for $15..yes, 15! so, why not? By the way, when I bought my 2011 I waited 6K to change oil and no light came on (ever!), so I don't think the cluster light for oil intervals feature is on or even there or working on mine. I do not see it at startup when all light flash on either. I don't really care since it seems more of an annoyance to turn off after it comes on every time.

#97 ·
Where do you get oil, rotation and wipers for $15???? How do you find that coupon???

My dealer hates me when I bring him the MOPAR coupons that get me the Oil and Rotations for $19.95 or sometimes $17.95 but never gotten lower and had wipers thrown in too....

#95 ·
I picked up the jeep at the dealership with 5 miles on February 14 2012
I just changed the oil on Feb 14 2013 and I still have under 3000 miles
I'll do an oil change next year on Feb 14th unless I get over 6000 miles earlier

I did my own oil change too, screw going to the stealership

#96 ·
Is there a link anywhere to a pictorial guide for the Patriot oil change procedure?

#99 ·
6000km = 3728 miles

Depending on how you drive (hwy vs stop'n'go, ambient temps, etc.) it'll figure out the interval for you. If this is the first ever oil change, the Change Oil message will likely show soon in the odometer window. I would only worry if you exceed 10km, then have it changed and ask the dealer why the oil life monitor isn't working.

#102 ·
its 6 month or 8k miles whichever comes first

I do it once a year :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.