Jeep Patriot Forums banner

how hard is it to change alternator on 07 patriot?

19K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  todde702 
#1 ·
I've got a 2007 2.4L 5 speed patriot I bought in January. Its got just over 70k on it and the alternator is dying. I'm a student and am wandering how hard it is to change it out myself. I've never really worked on it but am pretty good w/ things like this. Don't want to break the bank if i don't have too but don't want to get in over my head either. Any feedback or help would be great.

how long should this take and how difficult is it?

Thanks

#2 ·
Alt is still a do it yourself replacement part,
Not as easy as past cars that can be done in minutes on the side of the road. But still doable,
Procedures are here somewhere.
Involves removing front passenger tire, and water pump and accessing it through there.

#4 ·
Actually, I don't think you have to remove the water pump but you do have to unbolt the AC compressor so that you can get the AC lines to move and flex a little as you wiggle and turn the alternator down and out.

Here's the text of the procedure from the 2008 FSM:
Step #12 is the tricky part where you have to rotate the alt. assembly a certain way to get the heavy battery post between the ac line and the engine block before you tip the front pulley side down towards the ground.

REMOVAL
1. Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable at battery.
2. Remove the right front wheel.
3. Remove the underbody air dam.
4. Remove the accessory drive splash shield.
5. Remove the accessory drive idler pulley.
6. Loosen the lower mounting bolt.
7. Loosen the A/C compressor and relocate, pull down and to outboard side of vehicle to make room to remove generator.
8. Unplug field circuit from generator.
9. Remove the B+ terminal nut and wire.
10. Remove the upper mounting bolt.
11. Remove the generator lower mounting bolt.
12. Relocate the battery terminal (1) to the other side of the A/C line (2) for removal of the generator.
13. Rotate generator pulley down.
14. Slide generator down and out of vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.