Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Patriot Diesel for sale

21K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  12PatriotCVT 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Sigh! I am sure many of us in the forum are trying to figure out how much it costs to make it Legal for North America...

If gas prices go up another 33% and diesel continues to rise at a lower pace you will see more of an effort to bring in a Patriot diesel.

#3 ·
One can only write to Jeep and ask them when they will have a diesel version available in the US. An e-mail takes only a few minutes. Many auto manufacturers respond to the customer. Make your voice loud and clear and they tend to respond. (examples: The Challenger, The Wrangler Unlimited, hemi engines in many different vehicles, etc.)

Click here to contact Jeep via E-mail and ask them about a diesel option for the Patriot and when it will become available. Why on earth can't we have a Jeep vehicle that averages 43mpg here in the US? Build it and the buyers will come!

Or contact by phone:

1-800-992-1997
M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM
Continental Time Zones

#5 ·
One can only write to Jeep and ask them when they will have a diesel version available in the US. An e-mail takes only a few minutes. Many auto manufacturers respond to the customer. ...
If it were only that simple. DexC wants to bring a diesel in but the changing pollution laws and many other factors make it difficult. Right now they source a VW engine for overseas sales. That engine cannot be made legal for the U.S. and even VW is unable to bring it in. I believe Canada has the same situation. It would have to mean a large investment in resources to make a diesel engine for the Pat by 2009 which Chrysler does not have. With a widening of the gap between the now higher price gas and diesel fuels and if prices for gas rise 33%, you will see the economics for making a large investment change.

#6 · (Edited)
It kills me that we can't purchase a vehicle to drive today that gets 43mpg on average yet "emits" too much per gallon yet I can buy a big ass Hummer H2 and get 10mpg but it "emits" much less!? Is our government indicating that the emission for a patriot diesel are >4X as bad as a Hummer H2? I find that hard to believe! Go figure??? :mad:

#9 ·
Wait until 2008, folks. The technology is here and 50 state approved. VW has already committed to providing the new 2.0 tdi. This is the engine that VW will be using in the Jetta and new Tiguan small SUV.

Continue to pester/email DC and ask them to provide the bluetec 2.0 tdi in the coming year. If VW can do it so can DC. Your voice does matter.

#10 ·
"The Jetta TDI is one of the first products of the BLUETEC offensive initiated jointly by Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen. The goal of this partnership is to establish the concept of BLUETEC as a uniform label for clean and highly fuel efficient diesel-powered cars and SUVs with 50-state compliant engines."

What will happen if when Chrysler is spun off from DCX? Will they continue to get access to Bluetec engines?

#11 ·
One thing i want to mention is that the price of the Diesel Version is about 2500$ higher than the Gas version and adds 100kg to the weight.

#21 ·
Why couldn't ChryCo partner with Cummins and use one of their 4cyl TDI engines for the Jeep line? It has made a world of difference for the Dodge truck segment! A scaled down version of the 5.9L I-6 could be a class-leading option!

Oh, by the way- I am kind of partial to diesel engines in general, and Cummins in particular.

Diesel is $4.19/gallon here this week! Yahoo, it is finally starting to come down.

#23 ·
With the Low Sulpher Diesel Fuel that was introduced in Canada and the US in 2006 you'd think the Diesel engines would be able to meet emission standards.

I'm really hoping that Jeep brings out a Diesel Patriot and/or Diesel Compass for the 2010 model year! I know that we'd buy it and keep our current Compass. (We only have 1 vehicle currently)

The Diesel Grand Cherokee is nice but it's just to expensive and to big for us.

#24 ·
I think I'm more in love with the IDEA of having a diesel than actually owning one...right now, the variance between gas and diesel at the pump is 70-90 cents a gallon...(winter grade, I suspect) I understand the properties of diesel engines negates that to a certain level. But it also seems diesel work better for long hauls rather than running errands around town and other short trips. That's why I went with a gasser Riot over a Libby diesel (along with parts availability, service and other factors ) and I'm getting over 30 mpg anyways...Maybe newer technology in diesel engines addresses that concern, I'm all ears on that one...

The good news, Chrysler's current management is really high on the Jeep...I'll be interested to see what Fiat can do with them, given the new fuel economy standards coming down the pike...wouldn't be surprised if they make a Patty diesel available for the states in the coming years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.