Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Remove front bumper fascia?

10K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  gluestick 
#1 ·
Has anyone removed their front bumper fascia, or simply put, removed the plastic bumper trim that goes over the real steel bumper underneath? Is it terribly difficult to take off or put back on? I can't find any threads with directions or more info on this site, or elsewhere for that matter.

Thanks

#4 ·
My goal is actually to expose enough of the steel bumper to drill two holes down through (one on driver side, one on passenger) so that I may put a couple of eyebolts down through. These eyebolts will then be pointing down and visible through the front spoiler thingy so that I may tie off my kayaks and canoe. I think this sounds like the cheapest and simplest solution for us FD I folks. Are there any available posts or people who have done this (remove the bumper cover) that can offer their opinion on the relative difficulty level??

#14 ·
Hey Gluestick,
Sorry, I've been away. For the eyebolts I put on, don't need to remove the bumper at all, just drill directly through the top and into the steel. The actual steel bumper is in a C shape, (at least the back portion) I drilled through the plastic and through both horizontal steel sections of the bumper. I used the biggest eye bolts I could get from home depot, with a washer and nut on the bottom and one on the top side of the plastic, tightening them both to clamp them down. Using lock washers on the bottom helped somewhat to prevent the plastic from distorting. With a bit of contortionism, you can fit your hand up under the bumper to attach the bottom nut, lock washer and washer.
The holes were drilled 2 inches out from the front of the grill, that seemed about center on the steel bumper, with one either side, about center of the outside grill holes.
With this setup, I've carried two canoes several hundreds of kilometers with no problem at all.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Here is a link to a pdf file showing how to remove the front facia:

http://www.jeepmk.com/forum/attachm...rill-facia-jeepmk.com-front-facia-removal.pdf

quiff69, has done something similar to what your talking about and I do not recall him saying he removed his front facia to do it. But I could be wrong. You can read his post here:

http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4388

*I would have attached it here but the file is too large according to JeepPatriot.com rules.
*Please ensure if you try to download the pdf from JeepMK you must sign up. Like all standard forums you must read the email and click the included link to validate your email address.

#8 ·
Jeep MK.com problems

No, something's wrong at Jeepmk.com.
"You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts"
yet I was/am, registered there.
I am a "Junior member" and don't show up in the members list there.

#10 ·
I am getting this message and cannot access this pdf on jeepmk. Gramps or JeepJim can you help me out before I pull out what is left of my hair?

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

#11 ·
I'll contact Jim and let him know. Make sure to check your "Bulk" mail if that is set up. There is an email that you have to respond to. Also, I did a dumb thing just starting out over there. I did a bookmark to the sign in page and that just kept coming back up everytime I signed in. Try clicking on "HOME" and see what happens.

However, I didn't see either of you guys listed as members, if your using the same names. Like I said, I have NO control over there but I'll contact Admin.

Maybe this will help you keep your hair. :)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3658480&postcount=9

#13 · (Edited)
you have to read the email that is sent after joining... to verify email address during sign up... pretty standard for forums...

psaulesl problem is fixed... he apparrently either never got the email or it went straight to his junk mail being that the email was is produced from a script (automatically).

I would have posted the PDF here but the file is too large to attach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.