Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Patriot to be discontinued

15K views 85 replies 18 participants last post by  jonah_surly_charmer 
#1 ·
According to the Yorkshire Post newspaper motoring section.

In the review of the new Compass, the journalist mentions that the Patriot will be disconinued in 2014 with anticipated sales of 13,800.

To me, it looks like the new Compass' styling is combining the two models.

does anyone else know anything more ?

Miff

#44 ·
Well it cerainly wont be a fillet Steak!!

I've just read the Latest customer JD Power survey & FIAT are 3rd from bottom again. ( A bit of a boost for them they are usually bottom ) . To me this is a great worry . FIAT Fail on Reliability, Build quality,Ride qualiity, Handling & performance --Customers state that 43% of faults are electrical.
This is a company that want to show Chrysler/Dodge /Jeep the way forward when they cant even get their own house in order.
Its amazing that the new FIAT 500 ended up a lowley 79th a pretty crap result for a car being exported to America!! POOR/BAD on comfort, handling,ride quality, braking & performance---performed well on running costs , their again its powered by a sewing machine!!

#46 ·
C/D/J in bed with Fiat, as alluded to elsewhere is a marriage made in hell. It certainly does not fill one with any sort of confidence now or going forward.
To produce a car with a full order book it has to have a silly name like Yeti (Compass won't do) that's a box on wheels looking ugly from the outside and dated on the inside. Quality and reliability with a 6 month waiting list would also help.

#49 ·
Can't believe I haven't stayed up to date on this thread.
There is not yet an official date set for the end of production of the Patriot, but my bet is mid-2012 and there will be a Fiat-based car to replace it in 2013.
The Fiat Panda was on the original 5 year plan, but is now strangely absent.
I'm not very familiar with Fiat's lineup and where in the life cycle their products are, but I'm betting the Patriot's replacement will likely be a Fiat Sedici (Suzuki SX4) sourced vehicle. I think the Sedici is due for at least a refresh so it should be an updated platform probably with some tweak from Jeep. It will probably be powered by a fiat sourced na 4 banger with fiat's dual clutch transmission. According to Mike Manley, the patriot replacement will be produced in Italy. If all goes according to plan, there will be an Alfa Romeo on U.S. shores sharing the same platform, but it will be more sporty with a Fiat 1.7L turbo.

#50 ·
Mid 2012 sounds good for us.
Jan/Feb we will be upgrading.
The new 2011 is only hitting show rooms in 2 weeks time.
I had a look at carpoint web site and there are still a few hundred 2010's still not sold. So when the 2011's arrive the market will be flooded with the Pat and now 1aud - 1.08us I can see some Jeep specials coming up.

#54 · (Edited)
I've kept out of this thread so far because it steers me into an area that always gets me going. Jeep seem to have engineers that know how to build utility vehicles that are world joint number one with Land Rover, but they have always had a marketing team that couldn't shift ice-cream cones in the bloody Sahara. I really totally despair of them. No offers, just take it or leave it, while other manufacturers are beating the living crap out of them. No freely extended warranties, when other European and Far Eastern manufacturers are giving five and six years and up to a hundred thousand miles. No attempt to beat other 4-by-4s in the emissions battle, when they only need to claw back one more gramme of CO2 ( that's right: one more gram, out of a total of hundred and eighty!) in order to qualify for cheaper road tax in over ten major EU states! No plugging the fact that it's the cheapest 4-by-4 to fill up on the road. No advertising on TV whatsoever, when other manufacturers have been aware of the invention of the television since about the end of the Second World War. Models that make no sense whatsoever in Europe, such as the Commodore or Commander or whatever it's called; it's never ever going to take more than three to five percent of the Range Rover's market.
I really, truly mean it when I say that, if all their marketing team were sacked and replaced by me, Henna my tortoiseshell cat, and Big Owen from our rugby club whom I have never, ever, in twenty five years ever seen stone cold sober, then they could not possibly do worse.
I'd love to know how many Patriots are actually sold each year in just the UK. I mean, why would anyone who wasn't totally pi55ed (English "pi55ed", not American "pi55ed" go out and buy, say, a Rexton, rather than a Pat?
A Daihatsu rather than a Pat? Anything priced between twenty and twenty-five thousand quid rather than a Pat? Why? It's got to be because of marketing and availability of information, hasn't it? We know that there simply isn't anything in the 4-by-4 world on British roads under twenty-five thousand quid that's better value than a Patriot.
Go up to thirty thousand and you get Land Rovers, Volvos, VW's, all way better than a Patriot, sure, but Jayzes, so they ought to be! They're ten thousand quid more expensive!
If I really, really believed that I had a chance of getting through and speaking to an ear that mattered, I'd get on the phone to someone at the top in Michigan and give them the complete earful of all of this; I really would.

Russ O'C

#55 ·
ROCAL, Never a truer word spoken mate:notworthy:

The level of disinterest in selling their product astounds me and as you say the lack of advertising is truly noticeable by its very absence, in fact I cannot remember the last time I saw a Jeep advert in a motoring magazine let alone on television.

They seem to fail to grasp that to have a customer base, first you have to appeal to those customers, treat them well and in doing so that base will expand as much on the word of those customers as from advertising, but advertising hits a wider audience especially if its a captive one sat in front of the television for hours at a time.

Lets hope you get your chance to have words my friend!:D

#56 ·
Any chance of the 3 of us standing for Parliament !!! Between us weve got more Rabbit than Sainsbury's & as for me , I could get my tongue sunburned.....

Unfortunatly , having seen the new Compass in the metal, Land/rover, Kia , Hayundai, Mitsushi, VW & Skoda et.al.have nothing to worry about . Its OK but won't appeal to the majority of 4x4 customers , & the 4x2 version will end up as a waste of space!!

It will end up like the old Compass & to some extent the Patriot , as an also ran wallflower!!

2011 JD Power survey ( Auto Express) Best manufacturer Skoda ---Best car in UK Skoda Superb --2nd best car in UK Skoda Yeti.....speaks for itself!!

#57 ·
Seems like every time I click on the television this ad comes on:

They definitely market their brand here in Colorado, hell the weeklong Easter Jeep Safari just came to a close yesterday. So it's not that they don't have marketing people or money for an ad campaign, they just must not value the UK market properly. I looked at Jeep UK's facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/JeepUK

Only 80 people "like" Jeep UK. If you're on facebook, why not like Jeep UK? Let them know why they should care about the uk market.

#58 ·
I dont think Jeep UK would take a blind bit of notice of some of the weirdos you get on Facebook ( Lke Me )

#59 ·
I can't speak for Jeep UK, but a buddy of mine was having problems with his JK that the local dealers were refusing to address. A quick post on Twitter got him a phone call from someone in corporate and everything was handled within a couple of days. Chrysler seems to be very focused on social networking. "Liking" their page may help Jeep realize that there are loyalists across the pond as well. Or it may do nothing. Do you all ever plan any big Jeep events like we have here in the states?

#60 ·
That's what's so crazy, MrMischief; the UK four-by-four market is huge by European standards. It's tiny compared to America, but you've got six times our population. No other European country comes close to the numbers of Chelsea Tractors that we have on the roads. It's like Jeep saying that they're no longer interested in Illinois, Ohio and Pennsylvania, or, that they're leaving California and Oregon to the Japanese, 'cos it's too much hassle to contest it. Are in business or aren't they? Perhaps a more apt question is, are they in business seriously or aren't they?

Rocal

#61 ·
Oh what I wouldn't give to see an automaker tell California and Oregon take their hippie crap and shove it. :pepper:

but to the point, I don't know why Jeep would or wouldn't bother with the UK market. Having never been to the place where history comes from, I don't know the people or the market. But if I had a business with a facebook page and only 80 "likes" I probably wouldn't bother with that region either.

So you all don't plan Jeep events like we do over here?

#63 ·
Seems like people in the UK don't like Jeeps. I don't know why. The FB page seems to reflect this. How many CJs or TJs do you see over there?

How you describe landrover over there is how I could probably describe jeep here, except for the spares. I don't need a spare jeep, it just works every time. :) But Jeep goes around doing the Camp Jeep thing all the time, there's also the traveling jeep jamboree every summer, and easter jeep safari. Some dealers have offroad courses on their property for you to play on. So across the pond, you guys sound just like us, only you have Land Rover and while us colonists have Jeep.

I'm starting to fear that if you truly like Jeep, you might be an American stuck in a Brit's body.

Man I got to find a Land Rover club over here to tag up the mountains with. I've seen a couple Range Rovers on the trail but I can't imagine bashing one against the rocks and not crying about it. Just something about scratching an $80k vehicle makes me cringe. Would love to drive a Defender though, wish Land Rover pursued their customer's enough by offering a product I'd want over here.

#65 ·
Man I got to find a Land Rover club over here to tag up the mountains with. I've seen a couple Range Rovers on the trail but I can't imagine bashing one against the rocks and not crying about it. Just something about scratching an $80k vehicle makes me cringe. Would love to drive a Defender though, wish Land Rover pursued their customer's enough by offering a product I'd want over here.
Trouble is the costs involved to re-engineer the Defender range to be pedestrian friendly and also fit airbags to meet the US market requirements would be prohibitive, otherwise they could sell Defenders by the boat load over there all day every day.

You only have to look at the amount of cash being paid by Americans for 25 year old 90's and 110's over here to import them to the U.S. to see that the market is there. Soon it will be a case that Defender production will move to India and as such bypass a lot of regulations by being built outwith the E.U.

The next generation Defender replacement will have to be something pretty special to take over the mantle of its predecessor, the same could be said for the future of Jeep, yes enthusiasts will buy them regardless because its a Jeep just as Land Rover enthusiasts will do, but if they want to make a vehicle to be sold Worldwide, then they need to give that vehicle 100% support, both in dealerships and more importantly to the customer, no matter where they are in the world.

#64 · (Edited)
Jeep is & always has been a minority player in UK--Yes people over here still refer to most 4x4's as Jeeps , just like we call all ball point pens BIROS & vacuum cleaners HOOVERS. However a lot of Brits still think of Jeeps as small utility 4x4's full of GI's going off to fight in bygone wars . Its a niche' market for people who want something different . The Mk 1 & 2 Cherokees were pretty good sellers over here , but then they brought out the latest Cherokee ( Liberty ) & it bombed ( Too big , bad ride , too expensive & too thirsty) ( read EDSEL at this point)
Then out came the Patriot & 1st gen Compass ---backed up by total lack of UK adverising & cheap plastic interiors ---& to be honest a bit of a lack of back up by Jeep itself ( no promotional days & piss poor accessory list).
The best way to buy a Jeep in UK is --one year old , low milage , one owner used or demo model. Just pay half the new price & get a bargain. The Patriot managed to keep its head above water in UK , by offering a diesel engine. Had the diesel been offered in USA , from the word go , sales would have doubled & Patriots future wouls have been secure. I fear the new high priced line up will do nothing to secure the future of Jeep in UK . It will always remain a small fish in a big pond.

Dont forget the UK is historically "Land Rover" territory.

#69 ·
The defender and the wrangler are definitely specialty vehicles. I always find it funny when people say they want a "real" Jeep but won't drive the Wrangler because it's to rough of a ride or whatever their excuse is. Jeep can't survive on one specialty model, the same as Dodge can't survive on just the Viper, or Chevy on just the Corvette. The patriot was a great vehicle that didn't get enough respect from the "jeep crowd." I'm hoping its replacement will be equally capable, or maybe even more capable.

#70 · (Edited)
Blurb in today's Automotive News on this topic:

"One SUV to replace the Jeep Compass and Patriot. It will debut in Europe in mid-2013 and will be built for global markets, including North America, at Fiat's Mirafiori plant in Turin. The vehicle will share many components and systems with the Alfa Romeo C-SUV that will be built in Mirafiori by the end of 2012. The C-SUV will be offered with all-wheel and front-wheel drive, Manley said."

#72 ·
Key issue, Tip: will the tyres squeal on cornering? I bet the team's already working on that one, 'cos no vehicle will ever move out of the showroom in Italy if it doesn't squeal on cornering during the test-drive. If they don't crack that one then there's no point moving on to lesser issues such as chassis choice, power-unit, gear-ratios, clearance height, off-road package, safety provisions, irrelevant cráp like that...

Rocal

#73 ·
Tyre Squeal---Yee Har !! the best car I had for that was the 93 Chrysler Imperial I hired back in 93 for our USA Vacation . That Pimpmobile was the best---I was a real Gangster for 2 weeks. That thing would even chirp its tyres on kickdown on I-80..........

#74 ·
My TJ Rubicon is the best for squealing tires around corners of any vehicle I've ever had, even better then my SRT8 Charger. The aggressive limited slip diff in the rear drags a tire constantly so in parking garages even if I'm going at a snails pace it screams like I'm in Tokyo Drift.

#75 ·
I'm shocked! Maybe someone at Jeep UK has been reading this thread, I have just seen a Jeep advert on television for the new Compass, first Jeep ad I have seen in years.

It show's the 4x2 version and a qualifier at the bottom which states the sunroof is not available in the UK!

#77 ·
I dont do sunroofs --cant stand them . My Skoda Superb had one by default ( bought used) I only ever opened it twice in 3 yrs. The sunroof on my old Corrolla leaked & was a real pain in the arse. I want metal above my head ---not glass!!

#78 ·
Right, I asked Jeep UK on the facebook page when the cut off for Patriots in the U.K. would be and linked this thread to the question so they could see it, their reply was that May will be the last month that the Patriot is available for sale in the U.K. as the new Compass is in the showrooms now.

So there you have it!

Also regarding the sunroof they state it will become an option later in the year for the U.K. models.

#79 ·
Thought so....As I stated my salesman told me that once the last few in UK were sold/registered , that was the end of UK Pats . Compass is now the lower end default Jeep in UK.

#80 ·
Had a drive in the new Compass on Friday and obviously no real difference between it and the Patriot, plenty of room inside, I'm 6' 3" and no issues.

Obviously only the boot space slightly less due to sloping tailgate, but to be honest I wouldn't have an issue with owning one, especially with the new look front end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.