Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Optional Lifetime Bumper-Bumper Warranty from Jeep?

10K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Whitey 
#1 ·
Hello, folks!

Picked up my wife's new Patriot this weekend, and we really enjoyed the long trip home! This vehicle is going to be perfect for her.

The dealer, as part of all the "options" they try to get you to buy, offered us a lifetime warranty, bumper-to-bumper, which he said was an extension of Jeep's 3-yr/ 60,000 mi. warranty, and was offered by Jeep rather than an aftermarket company. He priced it at just under $3,000. We are considering this, because we drive our vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles and 10-20 years, but I wanted to think about this first since it was so expensive. I am sure it wouldn't cover wear items like tires and brake pads, and am not sure about the clutch.

I was wondering if anyone here had been offered this option, or knew any of the details? He told us Chrysler had been offering it for 6-8 months, and that it was proving very popular...

Any experiences?

Thanks a lot!
Regan

#8 · (Edited)
On the contrary, lower control arm developed "excessive play" after 34,500 miles but over 3 years have passed and would have cost $330 but my extended warranty covered it for a deductible of $100. Though I ended up getting the 7-year warranty (came with lifetime powertrain) and underbody spray (after using several cans of rubberized coating at $6-8 each to protect and deaden sound in the cargo area, I realized those large $150 buckets would have been what it took to cover the undercarriage and wheel wells the dealer had sprayed) for $400, so extended russt protection, and saving a couple hundred jsut after original bumber2bumper coverage expried...those warranties CAN be worthwhile, but try to get better deal.

#3 ·
Bumper to bumper is usually what is covered under the first 12months/12k miles. So if it is the same as that warranty, it might be worth it. As with any warranty, get a copy of it and read it thoroughly. They try to confuse you by listing hundreds or even thousands of items covered, when in fact, they are listing parts and components of those parts(like-transmission, gears, clutches, friction material, mounts, bolts).

So when I saw read it thoroughly, think about things that commonly break down, see if they are on there. Hey in 10 years, you may need a new trans. or need your A/C system replaced, so in that case it might be worth it.

But then again most people, do not keep cars for more than 4 or 5 years. In that case a lifetime warranty is pointless.

Bottom line-just read into it. Look into the average cost of repairs for the Patriot once they are out of warranty.

#4 ·
Lots of things can and do wear out. They are usually never covered under a warranty. They are maintaince items that people seem to forget about. Follow your maintance guide to the letter. But if you still want to consider the life time warranty read the following.

My suggestion is to obtain a copy of the warranty and read the fine print, seriously!!!

That engine that is covered for life may just be the internal Lubricated parts, Oh, the head or intake casket is only covered if doing a repair of another item and not if it fails. Even if you ask a lot of questions you may not receive the correct answers. Salespeople throw that term "bumper to bumper" around very loosely.

If it were me, and it will be in a couple of weeks, I'd invest in the stock market or mutual funds if your not a stock picker. A better return on your money. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Keith

#5 ·
Did the dealer told you that this extended warranty is refundable if you don't use it at the end of it? Because I just bought a new Patriot and the are trying to sell me this warranty too and I have not decided yet. I was thinking that if they refund the warranty because you didn't use it....it is a good thing because you are covered for any bad suprises but....meanwhile...your paiements are higher because you pay this warranty...unless you have the cash to pay it in full.

it is a tough decison to make...

#7 ·
Purchased extended warrantees are a waste. Most "normal wear and tear" items aren't covered. What is covered is usually pretty "bullit proof". Here's an example. Bought my 01 T&C and had it paid off in 03. Eight years and 100,000+ miles later No major costs. Original Air works fine, 24+mpg highway, original brakes went 100,000 miles, front struts are the originals and it rides and performs like the day I picked it up. Leather interior is like new and its been maintained at the dealership from day one. So figuring the $38,000+ I haven't made in car payments I could replace the engine, trans and major electronis and still be way ahead. The best "extended warrantee" is regular recommended maintenance performed by a caring and reputable dealer using quality products. My dealer services my 01 T&C, wife's 07 Sebring and my 09 Patriot. The 07 & 09 have the factory "lifetime" warantees. I bought them there and thats where they're serviced. For me the service department has always determined where I buy. JMNSHO Ric

#11 ·
+1,

Surprisingly, electrical problems can cost the most. Much of the work done on mechanical items nowadays is strictly remove and replace(it's faster and generally cheaper(now that everything is made elsewhere) than diagnosing which component failed and trying to repair the component).

Electrical problems however, actually have to be diagnosed and pinpointed. A problem with a wire could be anywhere on that wire, or not on the wire, but on the component, or the body control module, or the pcm, ecu, fuse block, etc -list goes on. Its not necessarily difficult, it is time consuming. This is the reason I got manual windows, and door locks(to my wife's disappointment:mad:), just a few less things I won't have to mess with. Especially now that you need $10k worth of tools to fix a car.

#14 ·
Going into my Patriot purchase, I had realized that what my dad had told me right before I bought my Volvo s40 in 2004 was 100% right: the less electronics you have, the better off you are. After years of never having to fix anything crucial but tons of inconsequential crap in the Volvo, I realized that the only reliable elements in a car are those that are part of what is already warrantied. Electronics are what will break.

I was absolutely sure that I wanted to buy a Patriot without anything electronic in it, kind of like what P8R1OT said. Unfortunately though, I had become fairly reliant on the electronic door-locking system. I thus spent 28,000$ on a Patriot that I likely could have gotten for around 22,000$ without all of the electronics.

So far though, everything is fantastic and I don't regret it. However, I am fairly sure that if anything dies in this car, it'll be the same stuff as with the Volvo: the electronics that are not covered no matter what.

#15 ·
I was offered this too but declined. I went this route years ago on a Chrysler vehicle and only used it once when the air conditioning compressor failed. The cost of the repair was over 600.00 but not near what I paid for the warranty. Its a personal decision of course, but I feel if something major is going to go wrong it usually happens in the first 3 years. I don't think the cost is worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.