4 wheel drive - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Jeep Patriot General Discussion General discussion for the Jeep Patriot

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 PM

Ride: 2012 Patriot 4x4 Sport
LiPat is on a distinguished road
4 wheel drive

So a week after getting hit with the hurricane, we are now dealing with a nor-easter which is causing snow and icy roads. I have a Patriot Sport 4x4 which i guess is a FDI. I heard you cant drive with the 4 wheel drive on over 30 mph. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 PM

Ride: 2011 Patriot FD1 M5
Murman has a spectacular aura about
What did your Owner's Manual state???

"My doctor tells me I should start slowing it down - but there are more old drunks than there are old doctors... so... let's all have another round." - Willie Nelson
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 PM

I read before it shouldnt go over 30 mph, im not sure if it will do harm to the car if i went over. I asked the service guy at my local dealership a few weeks ago but he never gave me a direct answer.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 PM

Ride: 2010 Brilliant Black Patriot FDI 4x4
EastBeach is on a distinguished road
I own a 2010 FDI....

pg. 37 of the owners manual states u can pull the T-handle on the fly at any speed.

that's all it says. I say staying under 30 mph in 4wd doesnot seem reasonable.

I am sure going above 30 mph with 4wd locked, the jeep will be fine.

Where did u get that info?

more info here:
http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_syste...freedom_drive/

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/eastbeach/patriot

You have to be very careful if you don't know where your going, because you may not get there.

Last edited by EastBeach; 11-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 PM

Ride: 2011 Patriot
Metaxa is a glorious beacon of light
If you lock your Patriot in 4 wheel drive and then begin to drive on the highway or a roadway at speeds over 30 mph the system unlocks it for you to prevent damage.

You still enjoy the benefits of the AWD system and won't even notice as it moves power from front to back and around as needed.

The only time you need to lock in 4 wheel drive is on a particularly tough stretch of trail where you would be going considerably less than 30 mph.

There are more technical reasons as well but maybe read a number of the threads that exist on this very topic and then ask again if something still eludes you.

Figuring out the similarities and differences between AWD and 4WD would be the type of question that will get you a similar succinct answer as Mr. Murman did to your original question.

For now, the take away is: These things are like little tanks in snow. Don't worry about the 4 wheel lock, just point it where you want to go and go...enjoy it
Old 11-07-2012, 09:13 PM

I thought I have read it in the manual before but ill have to recheck it. I might have got it confused with something I might have read here on a thread somewhere. The video helped. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM

NHPATRIOT has a spectacular aura about
Lock it in if the roads are bad. As has been said the system will automatically unlock if you get going too fast to avoid any damage. I am not a fan of just waiting for the computer to adjust when slippage occurs. Had that with an automated AWD system. It works ok most times but once you start to slip it can lead to loss of control even if the 4WD/AWD is engaged by the computer. Better to have 4WD locked in to start with. Only takes a split second in some situations for slippage to take you off the road. Once you start slipping 4WD/AWD being engaged after the fact won't always help( especially with the piss poor OEM tires that come on the Patriot ). Lock it in when the roads are bad. JMHO.

SOLD
2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude
2.4L CVT 4WD FDI
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 AM

Ride: 2007 Patriot, Light Khaki, 4x4, CVTII FdriveII,
Terasec is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Terasec Send a message via Yahoo to Terasec
You can drive in 4x4 at any speed,
If you can do 50-60mph, then probably don't need 4x4 anyway,
As for 30mph limit, that may be 4lo max speed.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 AM

Ride: 2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude, 2009 VStar 650
hypno444 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2011 FDI 2.4 and the manual with it only says 4WD may be engaged at any speed. It may be different in an FDII Lo gear.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Ride: '11 FDII Latitude-X
Jdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypno444 View Post
I have a 2011 FDI 2.4 and the manual with it only says 4WD may be engaged at any speed. It may be different in an FDII Lo gear.
FDII has the identical book and says the same
Old 11-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Ride: 2005 Jeep TJ rubicon
MrMischief is a jewel in the rough
Well I have a true 4x4 system and I'll use 4x4 at speeds north of 75 mph. If RockTrac can do it, so can Freedom Drive. My biggest concern with pulling 4x4 at high speeds is the Wrangler has a big mechanical lever that's pretty low. Not the easiest thing to pull in or kick out while going sideways on ice. I think the 30 mph thing is in most true 4x4 systems owners manuals, but I ignore it and drive however fast I want to drive. I say you should do the same, although I honestly don't know if I understand the point of the 4x4 switch in the Patriot. I recall the Compass I test drove in deep snow being very point and squirt without that lever pulled, with the lever pulled I saw no difference.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:40 PM

Ride: WHITE 2012 FDII PATRIOT SPORT
ralphfr will become famous soon enough
Question

I think the locked position is very effective at take-off and lower speeds. Like Terasec stated at higher speed it's probably not necessary.

As yesterday was my first actual bad weather driving experience, I noticed that with 4WD lock on, the ESP and another function whose icon I did not recognize(maybe BLD???) went off in reverse and low. Is that normal?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Ride: '09 Patriot
KB02 is on a distinguished road
I just picked up my '09 Patriot with the FDI this spring. With winter finally approaching, I have been anxious to see how well it will do in the snow. It's my forth Jeep, but first one with the FDI. We have had a few little squals that have greased up the roads pretty good and I must say that I am impressed - even with the fact that I NEED to get new tires - at how well it has done. Admittadly, I should have asked more questions at the dealer on how the FDI works, but the video above really helped explain it to me. So, basically, the FDI is an ALL WHEEL DRIVE system that can be locked into FOUR WHEEL DRIVE on demand, right?

My first Jeep was an '85 Cherokee with the Carburated 2.5L I-4 and a four speed stick. That thing had ZERO guts, but it did have posi in the rear. It was the BEST winter car I have even had. I can't wait to see how the Patriot measures up!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:07 AM
super duper moderator

Ride: 2012 Jeep Patriot FDII
aroundincircles is a jewel in the rough
From my understanding of the 4wd system:

the 4wd LOCK is a suggestion for the system to put the vehicle into 4wd before it starts going, otherwise, it would take the computer a few moments to realize that it needs to have 4wd engaged to get moving. But those few moments of wheel spin could cause a wheel to dig in or slip and cause further issues. so its really just for low speeds/low traction. I believe that having it in 4wd lock engages the bld and hill decent control, both of which are low speed functions.

Over a specific speed (i haven't read anything that tells what that speed is) it doesn't matter if you have it locked or not. the 4wd system is really an all wheel drive system that can send power to just 1 wheel, or all 4 wheels or any combination of wheels in between, depending on traction needs. if you can go over 30 mph, having all 4 wheels getting power isn't necessary unless a wheel slips, then it can move power around on its own, without input. it also prevents binding in the system.

again, this is my understanding, not 100% sure on it, but its what I've gotten from reading and watching vids.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:41 AM
POTM Winner AUG. 09.

Ride: Jaguar X-type 2.5 4x4
tiptronic has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to tiptronic
With the 4x4 lever actuated , over 30mph the trans will revert back to regular AWD & look after its self ....dont worry about it !!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.