Stuttering/Sputtering? - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Ride: 08 Riot Sport 4x4 Freedom Drive I, 17" wheels
Nico85 is on a distinguished road
Stuttering/Sputtering?

Ok so something weird happened twice earlier today. I was at a stop sign and my Riot decided that it was going to sputter out before kicking into gear. I drove down about 1.5 miles and was stopped at a stop light. When the light turned green I hit the gas and the Riot decided to sputter out again. My gf noticed that my RPMs dipped to near 0 like it was about to stall. This happened once before about a month or so ago when I was at a stop light but I figured it was just a quirk

So the question is this; does this sound like it's an electrical problem like with the alternator or the battery, or would this be something with the engine?

I really hope its something easy. This Jeep is starting to become a money pit that frankly Im getting sick of digging into.

Ball joints, tie rods, struts, leaks plus all the normal maintenance. It's just getting to be too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 PM

Ride: 07 Pat 2x4, Heated Seats, Fog Lights, Boston Sound
h3nry8888 is on a distinguished road
Hey, I have a 2007 2x4... it did the same thing to me... it was a rain humid day.. talking rain, slush.... and i was at a light.. rpm needle was twitching at 400rpm for a few sec... the whole front end(engine) felt it like was going to die on me. I hit the gas and there was a delay(2 sec) before it started to go.. It happened again at the next stop sign.

Anyhow, changed spark plugs, same issue... They my dads Tuscon did the same thing...

The common denominator was we both used Husky Gas... after driving the tank empty, putting in different gas.. it was fine again.. never stuttered since then... been like 9 months..

Try some fuel injector/water remover in gas tank.. Lucus is my recommended brand. And see how it goes...

Last edited by h3nry8888; 12-09-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:17 AM

Ride: jeep patriot
wedmon1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wedmon1
I have the same problem with my 2009 Jeep Patriot when sitting idoled at a red light. The dealership told me I needed a tune up, so I let them tune up the vehicle. A week later it starts doing the same thing. I noticed that it would go through cycles where it would run fine for awhile, and then it would start acting up again. I had a friend to suggest changing fuel, so I stopped putting Murphy's gas in it. I switched to Shell, and that did seem to help. Unfortunately it is giving me the same problems, but Seems to be getting worse. I found out there is a recall for this problem, but I was informed that my bin # was not included in the recall.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 PM

What do dealers do for "engine tune up"?

Besides Oil change, spark plugs changed, possibly PCV value anything else???

I did the above already, but I am curious if they actually do anything else to the car?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:40 PM

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4
JamesNewJeep has a spectacular aura about
I occasionally have that problem, but I have a 5 speed so I just rev it up a bit. Wedmon can you list the recall with link?

"Lucy"-All-Terrain, all-weather, AWD, 18" of clearance, can jump for more clearance up to 3.5', amphibious, runs on dog food, protects family. More capable than my Patriot?

The new budget-"It's a good deal, but some poor people remain oddly unf*cked"-Jon Stewart
Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM

Ride: Formerly '07 Patriot Sport 4x2 Now Cherokee 3.2 V6
snokat is on a distinguished road
Wifey's Pat had an episode on tuesday down here, though I thought it was probably spark plug wires, I learned that Pats don't have that setup.

We had 5" of rain on tuesday, and the Pat has original plugs at 45k miles....my fault. So we ran the codes and nothing popped up, so we replaced the plugs.

My hope is that it is not the coil insulator, as rain has a way of showing you electrical issues. Always worked for my GCs, but things change, don't they.

So, yes, if it was wet you probably have some grounding going on. Our Pat charged through all the missing, as we would have expected.

Our Riot will be 5 in March, this is the frist issue of any kind. Brakes next week, our baby has four rotors, and our new service shop has offered to do all four original pads and cut the rotors for $317. Not bad! Tires are next.

It is dry season down here in SoFLA, so I hope we can put our episode behind us. I'll update if this happens again. YUP, maybe it was gas, the tank was low. I'm getting some gas treatment/fuel infector fluid also.

Any insight would be welcomed.
TRADED-IN for CHEROKEE Latitude 12/2/13:RRO Lift, 235/65/17 H/Ts, Black PlastiDip 17" Factory Wheels, Front Mud Flaps, Fog Lights, Hella Driving Lights, Curt Class III Hitch w/Shackle, Black Mesh on Lower Bumper Intakes, Blacked-out Muffler, Roofrails, 5mm Rear Spacers, Sony 6x9s(4), 6-Disc Changer, Front Tint & Fine Jeep PinStripe.

Last edited by snokat; 02-09-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 PM

Ride: 2011 Patriot Sport 4x4
JoeyJeep will become famous soon enough
Could be fuel filter......or pcv valve.... but these are guesses all the same. Bring it to a mechanic and have them diagnose - NOT the dealer... they will rape your wallet, lol.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 PM

PCV valve changed for me.. Fuel Filter? Wouldnt it be sluggish all the time? This issue seems more on humid/raining weather.. Its only idle at a light when you will experience it.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Ride: 2011 Patriot Sport 4x4
JoeyJeep will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3nry8888 View Post
PCV valve changed for me.. Fuel Filter? Wouldnt it be sluggish all the time? This issue seems more on humid/raining weather.. Its only idle at a light when you will experience it.
I had a friend with a Saturn where this used to happen - dunno what he did to correct it tho.

And not necessarily sluggish all the time with clogged fuel filter - remember ur situation presents itself at idle - when the rpms and fuel flow are at their lowest.

Think of it this way = when you have a hose running at a trickle and put ur hand (ie - the gunk in ur filter thats clogging it) over the end of it, you'll most likely stop the flow.....but when you have the hose at full blast (ie - open throttle or any accelleration), its going to be alot harder to stop that flow with your hand.

You're better off bringing it to a mechanic and have them diagnose, rather than racking your brain. Most places usually diagnose for free or minimal charge. Then you'll have a better understanding where to go from there.

Last edited by JoeyJeep; 03-02-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.