How To: Sirius Satallite Install 2011 Patriot - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Electrical and Audio Discuss stereos, NAV, general wiring, lighting & GPS

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Ride: 2011 Patriot
jcfowler79 is on a distinguished road
How To: Sirius Satallite Install 2011 Patriot

Installed my aftermarket Sirius receiver in my 2011 Patriot yesterday. It went fairly quickly at about 2 hours start to finish although I have done some other hardwire install work on other vehicles.

First I started by popping into the fuse box top. Drilled a hole at an angle out of the box at the corner near the drivers side to route the wire out of the fuse box. Used a simple fuse tap and picked a fuse that was operational when the key was turned to ACC position. It took a little trial and error, first one i picked (radio I think) was always on, the second one i picked was only on when the engine was running, third time was a charm.

Next is the process of removing the plastic inner wheel well. This was fairly easy with about 5 philips screws and about 6 pop out tabs (not sure the real name). When looking at the wheel there is one hidden pop tab on the upper left top of the well. There are two under the left side connecting it to the front bumper. The rest are easy to spot. Remove by pushing it in to free it from the body and pull out over the wheel. It has a built in bending spot for easy removal. Picture below shows it removed. Take your time removing so you know how it all goes back in. This was the only part I was a little worried about but actually was very simple.

Once the plastic is removed the factory wiring will be visible running from the fuse box to the rubber grommet just below the drivers rear view mirror.

You will need to feed the power wire through this grommet. I used a hanger at first but had trouble pulling a wire back through. I finally used a hobby knife and sliced a small slit to slip the wire in. Be careful not to hit any other wires. I pushed the power wire through and was able to see it from under the dash. Its tucked back there but if you fashion a hanger with a hook you can grab it. The picture below shows my first attempt with the hanger but gives you an idea of where the wire is going to be hiding.

The rest of the power is finding a ground location and connecting you power and ground to the radio. I used a radio shack Y type cigarette lighter adapter because I also wanted to connect my phone charger. Connect the leads and test the power.

Next is the antenna. This is mounted at the rear of the vehicle.

Route the wire to the left of the plastic cap to minimize pinching.

Tuck the wire under the seal to the grommet at the upper left corner of the rear gate.

Pull the grommet slice the grommet to route the antenna through. Begin pulling the inside molding away from the frame. You are wanting to get the lower section pulled about 6 inches away to get to a 3 inch diameter whole in the frame to grab the wire. Put the wire into the hole from the grommet and just feed it down. Simply reach in and grab it through the large hole.

Pull up the spare tire cover and at the back left corner you can reach under and continue to pull the wire into the spare tire compartment all behind the molding. Pop the molding back into place. The top is a little tough to get lined up and the there is a plastic stem that fits in a hole just above where the lower and upper piece of molding meet. Once that is in give it a good hit to get it in place. Little advice, wash your hands between the running the power line step and the antenna step. You don't want to stain the interior.

Next route the antenna wire along the spare tire compartment and up past the rear seat. Push the wire under the molding over the bottom of the doors. To get the room pull up and out on the vertical sections. The wire is thin and can easily be pushed under. A larger power line for an amplifier may require the removal.

Next pull the upright molding along the drivers side window. To do this pop the screw cover with a butter knife. Take out the phillips screw and pull up and out. I used the same hanger and slid it down from the dash and hooked the antenna wire, power line and aux cable bringing them all up to the dash. Connect all wires, zip tie them together and the locate the wires on the edge of the dash. Install the upright molding pushing in the lower section first near the front window and then verify the piece drops into place on the door side. Screw it back in and your done.

I routed the aux cable over the brake and gas pedals and under the center counsel. Use the trusty hanger to pull the wire from one side to the other. I came up into the glove box and routed the wire to the aux in on the head unit.

So that is it. Took me about 2 hours start to finish which was not too bad. Let me know if you have any questions or need more pics. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 AM

karlo is on a distinguished road
Nice one. I just bookmarked this for future reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.