CVT Whirring/Whining Noise - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Ride: '08 Patriot 2.0L 4x2
clutter is on a distinguished road
CVT Whirring/Whining Noise

My transmission makes a whirring/whining noise at normal speed. It appears that stop-and-go traffic makes it worse and will quiet down some after resuming cruising speed. I noticed in another thread that others are complaining about this. Has anybody been able to get this resolved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot 2009
patroit07 is on a distinguished road
just turn up the radio and drive it or take to dealer easy solotion to problem
Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 AM

josiesjeep is on a distinguished road
Thought it was the CVT the 1st time I heard a noise. Turned out to be a loose guard above the drive shaft. Fixed it myself.
Last fall the jeep would intermitantly whine like a car trying to go fast in reverse. More recently it was constant, louder then the engine. Dropped it off at a shop, now we are waiting for a complete new rear differential. Jeep said, don't bother rebuilding it, just put in the new one we are sending you. It's only been a week, but i hope we get it back soon.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 PM

dantetoo2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiesjeep View Post
Thought it was the CVT the 1st time I heard a noise. Turned out to be a loose guard above the drive shaft. Fixed it myself.
Last fall the jeep would intermitantly whine like a car trying to go fast in reverse. More recently it was constant, louder then the engine. Dropped it off at a shop, now we are waiting for a complete new rear differential. Jeep said, don't bother rebuilding it, just put in the new one we are sending you. It's only been a week, but i hope we get it back soon.
Hi, Josiesjeep. Can you please describe how you access the loose guard above the drive shaft? I get this horrible toy car windup noise when the engine gets really hot in the summer or after a couple hours on the highway. The noise is then slightly noticable when cruising on the throttle but is extremely lound when really opening up to pass..etc..
I hope it is just what you described. Much obliged in advance.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 AM

hakujin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantetoo2 View Post
Hi, Josiesjeep. Can you please describe how you access the loose guard above the drive shaft? I get this horrible toy car windup noise when the engine gets really hot in the summer or after a couple hours on the highway. The noise is then slightly noticable when cruising on the throttle but is extremely lound when really opening up to pass..etc..
I hope it is just what you described. Much obliged in advance.
is that the loose guard? how did you fix it? seems many other theories on here related to this or similar noise. i've narrowed ideas to tranny, cooler, rear differential, loose guard, OAD pulley.you would think Chrysler would just know but something tells me they will be (or pretend to be) clueless.

Mine is exactly the same on a 2011. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOX-ufuwYiE
Old 08-05-2014, 01:32 PM

nevermind. clear now this is a widespread cvt fluid overheat problem. notorious problem with crappy jatco JF011E. this alone is enough reason to sell the pat. no coincidence chrysler moved away from this cvt in 2014. also happens frequently with avenger and altima.

Last edited by hakujin; 08-05-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:59 AM
Mopar or no car!!!

Ride: 2013 Jeep Patriot LTD 1992 Chrysler Lebaron GTC
SREJECT has a spectacular aura about
My local dealer said it happens a lot in the summer. Jeeps coming over the hill from California make this noise a lot, then go into limp mode. My dealer said it's usually fixed by changing out the CVT fluid and filter.

I'm going to do my first CVT fluid change at around 50,000 (I have 47,000 now)

If it doesn't fix the noise my CVT is making I will be sure to let you guys all know.

I really don't want to have this noise problem for long, my next Jeep will NOT have the CVT if it's not fixable.
2013 Jeep Patriot Limited, 2WD, CVT, 2.4L, uConnect230 --- K&N filter, Curt Class III Hitch with Spare Bumper, Cooper AT3 225/70/16, Boston Acoustics speakers with GTMat, Kicker Hideaway 8", Viper 2-way Alarm, Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horn, Cobra DX19IV CB Radio, 20% Front Tint, 5% Rear Tint, Rugged Ridge mats, Molded Splash Guards, Philips Xtreme Headlights, Diode Dynamics XML2 Fog Lights 5000k, Optima Red Top, interior LED's, Royal Purple Full Syn, JEEPPATRIOT.COM sticker
Old 08-10-2014, 01:52 AM

Ride: 2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x2
coryconklin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SREJECT View Post
My local dealer said it happens a lot in the summer. Jeeps coming over the hill from California make this noise a lot, then go into limp mode. My dealer said it's usually fixed by changing out the CVT fluid and filter.

I'm going to do my first CVT fluid change at around 50,000 (I have 47,000 now)

If it doesn't fix the noise my CVT is making I will be sure to let you guys all know.

I really don't want to have this noise problem for long, my next Jeep will NOT have the CVT if it's not fixable.
Did you take it back to Prestige to be checked out or to another dealer in town? Since mine was changed early this year I have not had any issues with over heating. However I have not taken a long trip this summer (I did go to Joshua Tree National Park in March/April). I am off next Thursday...maybe a trip to Cali and back on 15 or out to Death Valley to test the tranny would be a good idea

2009 Patriot Sport Deep Water Blue Sun & Sound Group, Black Steel Wheel Covers, Chrome Mirror & Handle Covers, Hella Fog Lights, K&N CAI, Valley Roof Basket with Extension!!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:15 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4
betos is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem, when the warming began cvt noises. Change the oil last week and no problems until now, hopefully when heat (Argentina) reaches continue behaving well
Old 08-22-2014, 03:22 AM
Mopar or no car!!!

Ride: 2013 Jeep Patriot LTD 1992 Chrysler Lebaron GTC
SREJECT has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryconklin View Post
Did you take it back to Prestige to be checked out or to another dealer in town? Since mine was changed early this year I have not had any issues with over heating. However I have not taken a long trip this summer (I did go to Joshua Tree National Park in March/April). I am off next Thursday...maybe a trip to Cali and back on 15 or out to Death Valley to test the tranny would be a good idea
I did take it back to Prestige and they seemed familiar with the problem. They even told me how they usually fix it, there is a screen filter in addition to the main filter. They do a really good job cleaning that out and replace the main filter then check the rest of it out. Seems like it will fix my noise issue. I'll know soon, I plan on doing mine at 50,000 miles in the next month or so. Probably going to have to put it on my credit card....
2013 Jeep Patriot Limited, 2WD, CVT, 2.4L, uConnect230 --- K&N filter, Curt Class III Hitch with Spare Bumper, Cooper AT3 225/70/16, Boston Acoustics speakers with GTMat, Kicker Hideaway 8", Viper 2-way Alarm, Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horn, Cobra DX19IV CB Radio, 20% Front Tint, 5% Rear Tint, Rugged Ridge mats, Molded Splash Guards, Philips Xtreme Headlights, Diode Dynamics XML2 Fog Lights 5000k, Optima Red Top, interior LED's, Royal Purple Full Syn, JEEPPATRIOT.COM sticker
Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 AM

Ride: 2009 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x2
coryconklin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SREJECT View Post
I did take it back to Prestige and they seemed familiar with the problem. They even told me how they usually fix it, there is a screen filter in addition to the main filter. They do a really good job cleaning that out and replace the main filter then check the rest of it out. Seems like it will fix my noise issue. I'll know soon, I plan on doing mine at 50,000 miles in the next month or so. Probably going to have to put it on my credit card....
I am glad to hear that my issues with the transmission have helped someone else out on the forums. When I went to Prestige last year they had no clue what to do and told me that it is normal. It is good to hear that they now know how to better deal with the issue

2009 Patriot Sport Deep Water Blue Sun & Sound Group, Black Steel Wheel Covers, Chrome Mirror & Handle Covers, Hella Fog Lights, K&N CAI, Valley Roof Basket with Extension!!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:29 PM

well, i'm taking it in next fri and they will likely do cvt fluid exchange before anything else, to the tune of $480.

as I've read in the NissanClub forum, the noise derives from shavings from the bearings falling off. I doubt the fluid exchange will be anything but a short term patch, but this will be a point of contention nevertheless, in order to get this Jatco CVT replaced under powertrain warranty.

It seems shameful these problems I'm experiencing at only 34k miles. now it moans in addition to whines; moans when i've completed a one way 30 mi drive, come close to stop and tap on the gas. Mind you, prior to these longer commutes, this thing was driven really gingerly.

i plan to buy a mazda3 this weekend; can't get more than 23mpg hwy w/ a 2011 Pat FDII.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:47 PM

GDIESEL is on a distinguished road
seems like all the CVTs are different, my 2014 Sport FDII I just traded in whined like crazy. The loaner FDII I had between trading was dead silent now my new FDII is a little whiny but quieter than my Sport.
2012 Sahara Unlimited, lifted, 35" tires SOLD 7/2013
2011 Sahara Unlimited 70th Anniversary TRADED 3/2012
2009 Sahara Unlimited 33" tires SOLD 3/2011
2009 Commander Limited CAUGHT FIRE 4/2009
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 PM
Major Modificator

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 2.4L CVT
moparnumber1 is a jewel in the rough
mine whines but I always assumed it was because of how the teeth are straight cut on the belt. Kinda cool, sounds like a mini gear driven supercharger, just quieter. in any case, it drives just fine, besides the occasional "limp mode" until I hit 15 mph (stupid drive-by-wire)

Submodel- Sport 'E' 4x4
Engine- 2.4L
Transmission-CVT
Suspension- H&R Lowering Springs
Tires- 225/55R17 Yokohama S. Drive
Audio-HEAD UNIT: Alpine CDE-W235BT AMPLIFIERS: Hifonics HFi1500D, Alpine MRP-F450 SPEAKERS: Alpine Type S 6x9 SUBWOOFERS: 2x Pioneer TS-W3003D4 Reverse-Mounted
Other Mods- Quad Brake Lights, Roof Rack Delete, Emblem Delete, Wolo #417 Air Horns, AEM Brute Force Intake System
Quote:
"A bearded life is a good life!" Unknown
Old 09-18-2014, 09:58 PM

Ride: 2012 Compass Limited, 28F FDII Sun/Sound 430N
Tyler-98-W68 is a jewel in the rough
The cvt on my 08 FDII never whined, on my 2012 it whines a bit at high rpms only in the FDII mode when i'm really pushing it offroad, otherwise its pretty quiet, and I've never had the temperature light come on.
245/65/17 Destination AT | LED High/Low Beam Conversion | 20" 240w LED Lightbar | Magnaflow Muffler | K&N Intake | RRO Lift + RR Winch Bumper Kit + Light Mount | Smittybuilt XRC8 Synthetic Cable Winch | Northstar AGM Deepcycle Battery | Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS | 1.25" Spacers Front & Rear | Midland Portable CB Radio | Wilson "Little Wil" Antenna |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.