Changing spark plugs - Jeep Patriot Forums
JeepPatriot.com   JeepPatriot.com
The Jeep Patriot Enthusiast Resource

Notices

Engine and Drivetrain Engines, transfer cases, transmissions and axles

JeepPatriot.com is the premier Jeep Patriot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Enjoy JeepPatriot.com? Has the site helped you? If so, show your support! Become a Site Supporter!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 PM

Wakeley Bridge is on a distinguished road
Changing spark plugs

It's about time for a new set of plugs for my Patriot. How much of a hassle is it to do the job myself? Do I need to remove the plastic engine shroud/cover to access the plugs themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Ride: '14 Sport, Bright White, 4x2, Katzkin, 130S/RES
Kahbrohn will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Kahbrohn Send a message via MSN to Kahbrohn
None!

That plastic cover over the engine pops right out with minimum effort. It is held in place by rubber grommets. Right underneath it you will find the spark plugs. You will need a #25 Torx for the job.

Last edited by Kahbrohn; 09-17-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:29 PM

Ride: '08 Patriot Sport 4x4
Hitzy is on a distinguished road
One of the easiest vehicles I have ever seen to change the plugs. The engine cover just pops off, and you need a torx driver to remove the coil packs, the the plugs are down a bit inside so you need a socket extension. Took me maybe 15 minutes to do the whole thing.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:23 PM

Ride: 2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
Akula is on a distinguished road
Piece of cake. As said, all you need is the right Torx driver plus the needed spark plug socket. I think it took me all of 15-20 minutes, because I always check the gaps of each plug and take my sweet time (don't want to cross thread the things).
Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 PM

Armando Pineda is on a distinguished road
dont forget the anti-sieze on the plug threads before installing.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot North
Anton is on a distinguished road
And the engine should be cold. Let it sit over night. so I have been told
Old 09-21-2009, 05:21 PM

Ride: Jeep Patriot
rocal has a spectacular aura about
Spark plugs...spark plugs? C'mon Europe, help me out here. Somebody must remember those....they're a bit bigger than Glo-plugs and a bit smaller than injectors, that's right, isn't it? And they only have 'em on cars with less than six gears. I'm right, aren't I?

Rocal
Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Deputy Director, Protocol

Ride: 2009 MK Sport 4x4 5pd, 97 Silverado Z71, 95 ZJ Ltd
JeepMan4Life is on a distinguished road
That's sooo funny...Not! Greatest thing about spark plugs, they don't drop coil pieces into the shroud housing. Glow plugs and diesels are outstanding pieces of equipment offering wide ranges of torque. But, they are no fun to customize on small displacement engines...lots more engine toys for petrol as you call here in England. More toys equals more options, more options equal more fun...and in essense pride. All from something six gear cars lack...a sparkplug.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM

Ride: 2008 2-liter 5-sp
error-prone is on a distinguished road
Heading out to the hardware store soon; I have a #25 Torx but it's too small.
Anyone know what size socket I need for the plugs themselves?
I have a 4-cyl., manual
Old 11-10-2009, 03:30 PM

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4
JamesNewJeep has a spectacular aura about
Typical 5/8" spark plug socket should do it and of course and extension to get that socket down in there. Take the advice of letting the car cool overnight before doing this as you know metals expand and contract in temperature changes...Also DO gap the plugs, almost all manufacturers say their plugs are pre-gapped, but it's not too much time to ensure they are correct. The gap spec should be under the hood somewhere(do not have my Pat yet)and if you do not have a gapper, go get one. They are only like $1. Good luck

"Lucy"-All-Terrain, all-weather, AWD, 18" of clearance, can jump for more clearance up to 3.5', amphibious, runs on dog food, protects family. More capable than my Patriot?

The new budget-"It's a good deal, but some poor people remain oddly unf*cked"-Jon Stewart
Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 PM

Ride: 2007 Silver Patriot 4x2 2.4L
wpeck2 is on a distinguished road
Be sure to tape the extension to the spark plug socket. That way if the plug binds as you remove it, the extension does not pull out and now you have the spark plug and its socket stuck down in the head. Anyone old enough to remember when spark plugs were called "sparking" plugs?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 AM

Ride: 2008 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 FDI - SOLD 7/3/2010
ilflyya will become famous soon enough
Does anyone find it odd that at 30K miles, the Spark plugs are supposed to be replaced? When I took it in for my 30K, my owners manual said it required a spark plug change. I myself, am not much of a gear head (I say that in a loving fashion), and the dealer in Orland, CA thought I was crazy wanting the spark plugs changed at 30K. I showed them the manual and they were like..."oh... guess you're right...that is crazy!" This then made me uneasy to allow them to work on my Patriot, as they're a Chrysler (mainly Ford) dealership, and they're unaware of a vehicle's maintenance, which they sell on their lot... I understand that a dealership sells many a vehicle, but before acting like the customer is out of their head... wouldn't you think they'd look it up first? I know that is what I do :-D
Front and Rear Air Deflectors, Cobra hand held CB, Rear mounted Fire Stick Antenna,BF Goodrich All Terrain TA 215/70R-16's on Konig Furthers,Yakima Roof Rack & Load Warrior w/extension with full size spare and Yakima Tire Carrier, Fog Lights, oh yeah, and DIRT!

SOLD, Currently driving a 2010 Flame Red JK Sport 2 DR
Old 11-11-2009, 01:58 AM

Ride: 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4
JamesNewJeep has a spectacular aura about
That IS a scary thought. If they sell the vehicle, it is safe to assume they service it- I mean you came in, right? So for them not to know the basic warranty intervals is messed up. When I worked in a dealership you would go to the parts counter, give them the work order and if it said 30k, they would bring you everything you need. Each item was listed on the work order. In the system the service advisers the maintenance intervals were already set up, they would just choose it.

"Lucy"-All-Terrain, all-weather, AWD, 18" of clearance, can jump for more clearance up to 3.5', amphibious, runs on dog food, protects family. More capable than my Patriot?

The new budget-"It's a good deal, but some poor people remain oddly unf*cked"-Jon Stewart
Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 AM

Ride: 2014, silver, FDII
dixiedawg is a glorious beacon of lightdixiedawg is a glorious beacon of light
30,000 miles seems early or todays electronic ignitions. I sort of hate to say it, but the plugs in my Tracker are still original, and it has over 166,000 miles on it, still runs great, no misses, mileage not slipping, etc.

I just went over 30K in the Patriot, so I guess from what you're saying I should change mine too?

Any thoughts on staying with the OEM plugs, or changing to something better?

You can go fast, but I can go anywhere
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 AM

Ride: 2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
Akula is on a distinguished road
The 30K interval is a natural result of the standard resistor type plugs on the Patriot. Platinum tipped plugs can go longer (100K), but some engines seem not the like them- apparently our Patriots don't.

There's a couple other threads on plug types, and the general consensus is that they're cheap enough, just buy the regular OEM type plugs (they're NGK) and change them out every 25-30K. While the thing is likely to keep running with worn out plugs, you'll notice better responsiveness with good condition plugs in there. I think four NGK plugs cost something like $6 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Let the engine cool off and have at it- you're only talking about a 20 minute job, tops.

As for taping the socket to the extension, it depends on the type of extension you use- I use a Craftsman one with a push button release, and it won't let the socket go unless you press the button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Patriot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.