Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Anyone Gone Muddin'?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  The4WDPatriot 
#1 · (Edited)
I know a lot of people have Patriots and they take them off road quite frequently. However, most of what I've seen is rock crawling, loose gravel, and not well maintained dirt/forest roads. Has anyone taken their Patriot and got it really down and dirty in the mud? EVERYONE that owns a 4x4 in Tennesse thinks its their God given commandment to take their 4x4s out on the mud trails. That being said, I'd love to take my Patriot out and put it through its paces and prove to the haters that yes, my JEEP, CAN go off road in the mud and have fun! But, at the same time I don't want to make a fool of myself if I go out with the guys and go mudding and they in their wranglers and cherokees and pickup trucks have to keep getting me unstuck. So I raise this question; just how capable is the Patriot in mud trails??

Thanks for your replies!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I take mine in the snow and it does real good. I don't do the mud part in my Patriot cause at my age I sure don't wanna clean all the mud off, that's if it all comes off. Mud= Pain in the A$$ to clean plus I have nothing to prove. I'll take my CJ or Jeep Comanche as they are older and I wanna save my nice Patriot. If ya take yours out in the mud 4WDPatriot please report back with details on how your Patriot performed.

#7 ·
I see, very nice! Thanks! I really really want to get mine out there soon, I just want to have an accurate assessment of the Patriot's capability before I go so I can be aware of my limitations. I guess the good thing about mud is that skid plates really don't make a difference that much. There's not really anything to snag on these trails. Before I do anything though I need to get some Geolandars...the stock Goodyear tires have close to 11,000 miles on them and I plan on replacing them at around 15,000 miles or sometime before this winter. We always like to make a quick get away to the mountains when they are calling for a good amount of snow and I tend to believe that the stock tires would limit the Patriot's true ability.

#8 ·
4x4 patriot is excellent in mud due to short wheel base and how light it is. Only problem is ground clearance. It will not go through deep ruts. Surface mud though, it will hang with a full size truck easily. If you go out with your friends just make sure to straddle the ruts instead of dropping in them to avoid bottoming out. If you do that you will be absolutely fine and can hang with all the bigger vehicles.

#9 ·
Now THAT'S what I like to hear!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.