Jeep Patriot Forums banner

CVT Whirring/Whining Noise

58K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  hakujin 
#1 ·
My transmission makes a whirring/whining noise at normal speed. It appears that stop-and-go traffic makes it worse and will quiet down some after resuming cruising speed. I noticed in another thread that others are complaining about this. Has anybody been able to get this resolved?

#3 ·
Thought it was the CVT the 1st time I heard a noise. Turned out to be a loose guard above the drive shaft. Fixed it myself.
Last fall the jeep would intermitantly whine like a car trying to go fast in reverse. More recently it was constant, louder then the engine. Dropped it off at a shop, now we are waiting for a complete new rear differential. Jeep said, don't bother rebuilding it, just put in the new one we are sending you. It's only been a week, but i hope we get it back soon.

#4 ·
Hi, Josiesjeep. Can you please describe how you access the loose guard above the drive shaft? I get this horrible toy car windup noise when the engine gets really hot in the summer or after a couple hours on the highway. The noise is then slightly noticable when cruising on the throttle but is extremely lound when really opening up to pass..etc..
I hope it is just what you described. Much obliged in advance.

#7 ·
My local dealer said it happens a lot in the summer. Jeeps coming over the hill from California make this noise a lot, then go into limp mode. My dealer said it's usually fixed by changing out the CVT fluid and filter.

I'm going to do my first CVT fluid change at around 50,000 (I have 47,000 now)

If it doesn't fix the noise my CVT is making I will be sure to let you guys all know.

I really don't want to have this noise problem for long, my next Jeep will NOT have the CVT if it's not fixable.

#8 ·
Did you take it back to Prestige to be checked out or to another dealer in town? Since mine was changed early this year I have not had any issues with over heating. However I have not taken a long trip this summer (I did go to Joshua Tree National Park in March/April). I am off next Thursday...maybe a trip to Cali and back on 15 or out to Death Valley to test the tranny would be a good idea ;)

#12 ·
well, i'm taking it in next fri and they will likely do cvt fluid exchange before anything else, to the tune of $480.

as I've read in the NissanClub forum, the noise derives from shavings from the bearings falling off. I doubt the fluid exchange will be anything but a short term patch, but this will be a point of contention nevertheless, in order to get this Jatco CVT replaced under powertrain warranty.

It seems shameful these problems I'm experiencing at only 34k miles. now it moans in addition to whines; moans when i've completed a one way 30 mi drive, come close to stop and tap on the gas. Mind you, prior to these longer commutes, this thing was driven really gingerly.

i plan to buy a mazda3 this weekend; can't get more than 23mpg hwy w/ a 2011 Pat FDII.

#13 ·
seems like all the CVTs are different, my 2014 Sport FDII I just traded in whined like crazy. The loaner FDII I had between trading was dead silent now my new FDII is a little whiny but quieter than my Sport.

#17 ·
your CVT is in its death throws by your description. it doesn't drive fine if you EVER get limp mode, that's ridiculous. The high pitched whine has nothing to do w/ the teeth. It derives from the failure of the Koho bearings on the transfer gear as a result of a lack of lubrication. The noise gets louder until the debris (i.e. shavings) from the bearings fills the filter reducing the fluid pressure producing a P700 or P777 code giving you limp mode.

#16 ·
I thought the whine I heard in my 09 Pat was the transmission, even had the transmission serviced, but then realized it only occurs when the AC or Defroster/Defogger is on. Probably a condenser pump or something related to the climate control system for me...whew!

I also noticed in a youtube video of a whine sound, the jeep was running at very high RPMs, I assume that would be tell tale sign of a tranny problem. At cruising speed (60's), my Pat runs at just around 2000 rpms. The video I saw, the jeep was up around 4000 rpms, that's high even for an average acceleration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.