Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Engine Vibrating Noise

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  patroit07 
#1 · (Edited)
Notice a noise coming from the front of my Pat on acceleration. You can hear it when the RPM's get above about 3500, and it is quite loud at 6000 RPM. It sounds like a piece of sheet metal vibrating or something - really fast. I was thinking maybe it was the heat shield behind the engine on the fire wall, however can not get it to make any noise when I move it with my hand.

Anybody else have this problem? I have an appointment with the dealership this afternoon for a wheel alignment, maybe they will have time to find the noise as well.

#3 ·
I have the CVT and have not noticed it when taking my foot off of the gas, just when accelerating - seems worse under load ie up hill. It starts at about 3500 RPM and stops at 4500 then starts again at 5250 up to red line.After listening closer today seems to originate from the Drivers side below the dead pedal.

The dealer or course had no idea as this is the first Pat they have had into the shop. They are going to check the ones on the lot for "ideas" and give me a call. They assured me that it is nothing mechanically wrong.

#4 ·
I have a 2007 Patriot Limited with CVT and I am experiencing the metal to metal vibration around 1800 and 2800 RPM especially under load when traveling up hills/ mountains. I had it at the dealer today and they were unable to pin point the problem. I did a little more investigating when I was home. I believe it may be a welded surround/ shield on the engine side of the rear driveshaft just after the U-joint. It is the only metal that made a similar noise when I would knock on it. I will have to investigate a little further when not so cold out or take it back to the dealer and let them figure it out. I am quickly losing patience with it.

#6 ·
I have same vibration @ 3500 rpm. Sounds like some kind of heat shield. Took to dealer 2x they couldn't find anything. The second I pull off the lot it maked the noise, so back I go and get the service manager to go for a ride. Drove with him for a half hour NO NOISE. now I look crazy. The minute he leaves noise is back. I'm at just about 36000 miles and don't want to end up with a problem that I have to pay for.Anyone find the solution?

#7 ·
I had my vehicle to 2 different dealers a total of 10 times over 2 years before finally resolving the noise at 1800 and 2800 rpm on my '07. It ended up that 2 bolts were missing from the exhaust manifold from manufacture. The dealer installed the 2 missing bolts as well as replaced the catalytic converter and heat shield.

#8 ·
WOW, talk about a lack of QC, the union must have gotten all the workers pissed off that day at the plant or something...

#9 ·
I had a similar problem awhile back -- very loud vibration noise at a very specific RPM range.

It turned out to be something very minor. When I installed a new engine air filter, I accidentally didn't clip the second (hard to reach) clip all the way down. The pleats on the NAPA Gold air filter I used were probably a 1/2" longer than the Mopar ones, which made the box very difficult to close. I reinstalled the filter and made sure the box was completely closed and the noise went away.

#10 ·
At 3500 RPMS the air tumbler within the throttle body opens completely to allow greater smoother air flow for more HP at wide open to close to wide open throttle. The tumbler device is probably stuck in it's normal operating position under 3500 RPMS. The only reason I know this is because I was browsing through the Pats service manual and noticed this information. The only reason I care is because I noticed under heavy up hill acceleration the RPMS just after 3500 jumps or stutters at bit, no big deal for me, and will go unnoticed to everyone else in the Pat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.