Jeep Patriot Forums banner

ESP/ BAS LIGHT AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

18K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  patuncfan 
#1 ·
Ia anyone else experiencing the esp/bas light on and the check engine light. Trying to find out if common problem and what was wrong to fix it. Taking to dealer monday or tuesday to get worked on. Have 2400 miles and DRL computer has went out and lights were strobing at all settings, sunroof leaks and now this. LIke vehicle, but starting to think may have been bad choice to buy.

#3 · (Edited)
bbtgheman,

You might have a poor ground connection or a short in the wiring harness. I had a Subaru Legacy wagon that had a similar problem. The eastern Long Island Subaru dealer( where I did not get the car from) cost me hundreds of dollars and never cured the problem. I finally returned to the city and went to my dealer in Glen Cove, where they finally removed the wiring harness and replaced it and cured the problem, but it cost me an additional $700. Sorry about the sunroof, I no longer get them because mine ALWAYS leaked after time. Once my wife stopped short at a light and a wave of water that had collected in the roof came rushing forward and washed over her! She was NOT happy!

Edit: One more thing, it's possible the CPU chip for the display is having a problem, but your dealer really needs to check the system out.

If I were you, I would go right to the dealer and have them correct those problems.
Good luck!:(

P.S. Please let us how things turn out and what the problem was after they fix it, so we can be on the lookout ourselves.

#4 ·
I have been having the same problem. The engine light came on Thursday and they said that it was an evac. leak and cleared the code, and if it came back on to bring it back on in. Now, it is Wed. it is back and on and the dealership can't get to me until Monday...should I worry? I have 4600 miles on it and have not gotten the oil changed yet, would that trigger that engine light to come on?

#6 · (Edited)
Confused... It is vital that you get that oil and filter changed pronto. A new engine works little tiny bits of metal into the crankcase as it breaks in. The oil and filter need to be replaced at 500-1,000 miles and you are WAY past that mileage. Not changing the oil as recommended is a good way to wreck your engine's long life ability.

Update: I have been advised by others that the recommended oil change period is 3,000 miles per their Jeep dealer, including breaking in. Personally. I'll still get the first oil change at 1,000 miles, just for old times. I have owned all my cars since the mid 80's for extended periods (over 10 years) and religiously get the oil and filter changed within the recommended time or milage. Does that have anything to do with my cars lasting? I dunno, but I don't think it hurts!;)

#8 ·
Has anyone resolved their enigine light problems..?

I am asking this because I have only 1500 miles and my "engine" light came on today.

According to the manual, this light comes on when a sensor detects an emissions problem.. like a loose gas cap, or other engine sensor related problems.

I tightened the gas cap and I started the engine and the light stays on, the manual also mentions that as long as the light does not blink it should not be a major problem.

If anyone can share any insight or a related expierience, please reply.. I already sent the dealer an e-mail and I will call them on Monday..

#10 ·
Hey thanks for the advice...

I did some research and found this on Jeepforum.com:

Dealer Reflashed our PCM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there, I am new here so I am not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I did look around and didn't see it. On 02/07/07 our check engine light came on and there was a lot of what I describe as valve noise coming from the top end. We took it the dealer immediately and the next day they called and said the PCM needed to be flashed. They did the work and I asked for a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin. Here it is...

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 18-020-06 REV. A
GROUP: VEHICLE PERFORMANCE
DATE: SEPTEMBER 16, 2006

SUBJECT:
FLASH: Warm Weather Spark Knock and/or DTC P2173 **and/or P0452**

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) ** and if necessary, the Transmission Control Module (TCM)** with new software and performing a memory reset to clear the adaptive memory of the PCM.

MODELS:
2007 (PM) Caliber
**2007 (MK49) Compass**

Note: This bulletin applies to models equipped with a 2.0l or 2.4l gasoline engine and CVT transmission (sales code ECN or ED3 with DAV) built on or after May 11, 2006 (MDH 0511XX) through and including August 16, 2006 (MDH 0816XX)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some cutomers may experience Spark Knock in warm ambient conditions (16 C (60 F) or higher).

The technician may find one or more of the following DTC's

P2173 - High Airflow/Vacuum Leak Detected (Slow Accumualtion) may be found in the PCM. This DTC may occur when a vehicle is driven from a higher altitude to a lower altitude (1372 meter (4500 foot) change).

**P0452 - Evap Pressure Switch Stuck Closed**

It goes on to describe the repair procedure.

Anyway, they flashed the PCM and told me that essentially the engines timing was off. This may be why experienced only 18 - 20 MPG. However, that may be due to my extremely heavy right foot.

Hope this helps someone.

#11 ·
My ESP/BAS OFF light just popped on last night (close to 6000 miles). I was at a stop light about 3 minutes later so I shut down the engine and started it back up. The light was back on but then went away as soon as I started rolling again.

Thoughts on this? Should I get it to the dealership?

#12 ·
At 6000 miles, could it be starting to get "anxious" about getting the oil changed? Can they do that?

#15 ·
Update on my check engin light...

Hello folks,
I just got my Pat back from the dealer, this is my first expieience with Jeep for service and I came away impressed with service there.

I dropped off my jeep with a list of issues and they fixed and adjusted everything in a timely manner without taking more than one day with me without my vehicle.

As it turns out they said that my catalytic converter is in a breaking in stage and the O2 sensor was reading off (lean fuel mixture) they ran a battery of engine tests and reset the PCM. They say everything is ok, and they checked to make sure the gas cap is seating properly.

I also had them adjust the driver window crank, so that when the window is closed the lever is not in my arms way when I rest my elbow on the doors ledge.

They repositioned a heatsheild that protects the gas tank.
They also tightened the bolt on my drivers seat and they could not hear a squeak i heard and strangely enough the sound went away..

My observed mpg went down mainly becuase of more frequent a/c usage

The dealer did a multi step inspection on everything, tire pressure, fluids etc.

At 1800 miles, I can't complain no major issues.

#16 ·
My check engine light came on around 6000 miles. I called the dealership and they explained (as did the owner's manual) that this is an emissions issue. I checked the fuel cap and it's fine. I drove the vehicle for several cycles and no luck. The dealership is about an hour away and I can't get it in for a few more days. This is disappointing to see so many of you with similar complaints. I purchased a Jeep Rallye Compass a year ago and the transmission completely failed. I took it back and got my Wrangler TJ back. Then when fuel prices skyrocketed, I traded the Wrangler for the Patriot. I hope I didn't make another mistake. We'll find out on Monday.

#18 ·
I have a 2008 Patriot and have never had any problems until yesterday---was driving on the interstate with cruise on and had to stop quickly. My esp/bas -4w drive and the abs lights all came on at the same time, and now cruise won't work. Any one have any issues like that? Someone said to reset the computer, but the book does not say how to do that. Any suggestions?

#19 ·
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Is your Patriot still under warranty? I had the same problem on my 2008,
took it to the dealer, and it was a short in the wiring harness under the drivers carpet. They fixed it and all has been well since. That was the only
problem I had with my Patriot in 2 years and 15,000 miles.

Let us know when it's fixed.

#22 ·
Just had these lights come on last night while pulling away from a stop light. Had a severe loss of power. Headed to dealer first thing Monday morning as I only have 1800 miles left on my bumper to bumper warranty. Hope this is an easy fix. Can anyone think of anything I need to say specifically to the shop guys or just explain my problem?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#23 ·
Delayed response I know but maybe someone will find this helpful. After a total of 4 trips to 2 different dealers my problem was fixed under warranty. Left rear wheel speed sensor was bad. Both dealerships and O'reilly auto parts guy said the right rear wheel speed sensor was easily replaced individually yet the left was an assembly of sorts that had to have some ring inside the hub replaced too. This was very difficult for the dealerships to track down because after 2 key cycles all the lights would go off (codes would clear) and the Pat would drive normally again until the next random episode. The service manager said this was due to it being a "soft code". Compared to a "hard code"-major problem. My fuel mileage suffered greatly. Usually I Averaged 24-26 mpg yet the tank during these problems was down to 19.5mpg. Dealership said I was good to drive just the know that my abs and traction control would probrably not work correctly. This didn't phase me as I've driven all types of vehicles without these aides before. Now with my fuel numbers I'm afraid the brake was dragging on that wheel or something. But it's fixed now, and I can go back to enjoying my Pat and all of its features. If there are any questions I still have my paperwork from dealerships. Just wanted to share my Pat's horror story. I'm satisfied and will continue to drive it like I stole it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#24 ·
hi,

the BAS ESP light has been on in my 2008 Patriot since summer. About 3k miles. There are no issues with this. The light comes and goes; on and off all the time. I tried to reset it by undoing the battery and it didn't work. So I read that as long as it doesn't blink, that it's not a big issue. Also, b/c it comes and goes, I should not worry. So I haven't really. I'm installing a chip and a k&n air filter, the chrome 3" pipe, and a new Kenwood system this week. Hopefully, the mechanic can figure out how to get the light to turn off. Thank you for the kind comments above!
AIRBORNE PAT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.