Jeep Patriot Forums banner

15" Wheels and 30" tires on your Patriot (no spacers): Test Fit Results

310K views 444 replies 106 participants last post by  Discount Tire 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

We've been trying to find a great 15" option for the Patriot and with the help of a fellow forum member we've done just that. In fact, we've found 3 great 15" options for your patriot. Check it out.

Like we mentioned in the Discount Tire wants your help: Anyone running 15" Wheels? thread, our internal fitment guide is telling us that a 16" wheel is the smallest diameter that will fit the Patriot. After looking at the Patriot's brake dimensions and at the dimensions of some of our 15x7 0mm offset aftermarket wheels, we decided it was time to test fit. In looking at the wheel specs we discovered that a 15x7 with a 0mm offset should sit pretty similar to a factory wheel with a 32mm (1.25") wheel spacer. If this fit over the brakes of the patriot, running a wheel with these specs would give the vehicle owner the chance to run a wider and taller tire without the use of a wheel spacer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before I get to the results some of you may be asking, "Why would anyone want to run 15" wheels on their Patriot?"...

Here's a few reasons... First, if you have been looking for an off road tire option some of you may have discovered that there are not a lot of 16" or 17" off road tire models or sizes to choose from for the Patriot. 15" on the other hand, offers quite a few off road tire options. Also, downsizing to 15" is also great for off road performance. When compared to 16" and 17" tires of the same diameter, a 15" tire gives more sidewall height for better off-road performance and handling when aired down. 15" tire and wheel combinations may also save you some money at the pump. Depending on the wheel you choose, a 15" alloy wheel and tire combinations typically weigh less when compared to larger diameter wheel and tire set-ups. This, un-sprung weight savings translates into fuel savings. note* If fuel savings is one of the main reasons you are considering running a 15" wheel and tire set up we recommend running an alloy wheel over a steel wheel. Best of all though, 15" tires are typically more economical so when you're due for your next set you'll have more money left over to spend on other Jeep mods :D

With the gracious help of a fellow forum member, :pepper: aroundincircles, :pepper: we were able to test fit a few 15" wheel models on the Jeep Patriot along with a few larger tire options (compared to stock). Here's what we found...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS of TEST FIT:
The 15x7 ET0 (4" BS) Unique 297, 15x7 ET0 (4" BS) Cragar Soft 8, 15x7 ET0 (4" BS) MB TKO, and 15x7 ET0 (4" BS) MB Chaos 5 all cleared the Patriot brakes with plenty of room and DO NOT require wheel spacers. The sizes we test fit were 225/75-15, 235/75-15, and 30x9.50-15. We selected these sizes as a lot of the members here are lifting their Patriots and running 29" + tall tires. Please see pictures below for notes.

Links to Wheels that fit: Links to Tires tested:

Now on to the pictures!
*Please note that aroundincircle's Patriot has a 2-1/8" lift and PWM done. Also, any one of these wheels can be used with any one of these tire sizes to create the combination you are looking for.

15x7 ET0 MB TKO mounted with the 225/75-15 General Grabber AT2
Notes: This set up may fit non lifted Patriots IF the owner is willing to cut the pinch weld and trim the fender liner in the front fenders. No rear fender modification is required.

15x7 ET0 Unique 297 mounted with the 30X950R15 Discoverer AT3
With a 2 1/8" lift this tire requires the pinch weld to be modified (cut or bent) it also requires some modification to the front fender liners.

15x7 ET0 MB Chaos 5 mounted with the 235/75R15
Notes: This fitment requires a 2 1/8" lift, Pinch weld modification and fender liner trimming.

See less See more
#19 ·
15x7 ET0 MB Chaos 5 mounted with the 30x9.50-15 DuraTrac
NIce to see some off the shelf options in 15".

Just curious, when did Goodyear come out with the 30x9.5 Duratrac?
Last I looked they only came in LT235/75R15, 31X10.5R15LT, and 33X12.5R15LT.

#4 ·
AWESOME! I know aroundincircles...and I know that he probably didn't wanna leave without a new set of tires and wheels, probably the DuraTracs haha this makes me reconsider keeping my TJ Rubicon MOAB wheels (16") and looking for a nice 15" wheel for better tire options! I love the MB TKO wheels! They're sexy as hell. My Rubi's are already payed off though.

*Edit: go figure he said the DuraTracs haha I'm good ;)
*Edit again; I didn't even see his post before making mine...so now I look dumb :eek:

#5 ·
You called it Kenny! I don't blame him either they are a great looking tire and a lot of wrangler guys wheel the heck out of them. Some people complain about them only having a 2 ply rated sidewall but honestly I think that's more from those not running them, I don't remember reading any complaints from anyone that is actually running them.

#6 ·
Everyone loves them and BFG Mud Terrain KM2s...those have to be the two most popular tires on the market right now, hands down.

#7 ·
PS; I am a page administrator for JeepPatriot.com's Facebook page and posted a link to this thread for y'all ;)

#10 ·
Lol somethin like that Karl...

#12 ·
Would a 3.75" backspacing 15" wheel work for us w/o spacers?

#15 · (Edited)
That depends on the width but assuming they are 15x7, and they clear the brakes, they'd stick out about 1/4" further than the 15x7 0mm offset (4" backspace) wheels we test fit.

If they are wider than 7" they may limit how tall of a tire you can run as they may stick out too far and shove the front tires into the corners of the body when you turn hard.

#14 ·
I'm uber tempted to sell my 5 16" TJ Rubi MOABs and buy 4 Cragar V-5 15x7 wheels cause the tire prices would be better plus I'd only have to buy 4 tires instead of 5! I just don't know if the 3.75" backspacing would fit w/o spacers.

#16 ·
Nope they're 7" wide. SWEET! Thanks to y'all I may be selling my Rubis and getting the 15x7 5-4.5 3.75" back spacing Cragar V5s! Gotta love it lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 ·
Nope they're 7" wide. SWEET! Thanks to y'all I may be selling my Rubis and getting the 15x7 5-4.5 3.75" back spacing Cragar V5s! Gotta love it lol
Those are pretty cool looking. You might want to try to find the weight of them. The Unique 297 steel wheel we test fit is about 25lbs while the TKO is about 20lbs and the Chaos 5 is about 17lbs. If you like 5 spokes designs the Chaos 5 is also available in black.

#18 ·
Hmm yea idk it's weight I'll have to check on that. I'm goin for price here, that's the whole reason im even thinking about the V5s lol they're only $57 per rim haha

#22 ·
I was gonna nominate it but I'm on my phone haha

Thanks again you two (DiscountTire and Aroundincircles) ;)

#26 ·
Apparently, from what I hear from hard core offroaders, AT2s arent the best Brandon :(

I'm still kicking them around but people don't like them offroad.

#28 ·
#30 ·
a buddy of mine that had a Compass put the 16" Patriot steels on his and put 225/75R16 BFGs on it. claimed no rubbing and I know he didn't have a lift or use spacers. it made his Compass look bad.

those Chaos 5 wheels are awesome. I'm thinking about doing the same thing on my Patriot. I've had the BFG's on a couple vehicles, the last being a Mitsu Montero years back. great tires and they ride better, better grip and are much quieter than the OE Goodyear Wrangler SR-As on my Patriot.

#31 ·
#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.