Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Fuel Tank Size??

33K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  aroundincircles 
#1 ·
Hi Guy's,

Last night it was time to fill the CRD up.
This would be my 3rd fill.
Last week on Monday 5th May I filled up figures were:
47.86L @ $1.729
According to the OBC I did 725km and 123km to empty.

Last night I go to fill up and I'm miles away thinking about something and the pump handle goes click click meaning its full.
So I go in and pay and look at the docket and a total of 51.85L was put in.
I thought this tank was only 51L total. So I asked the service guy hey my tank is only 51L capacity and I've put in nearly 52L.
Boy did they jump. No no our pumps are accurate and your Jeep is wrong bla bla bla.

Ok I said what ever idiot.

So I'm thinking now.
I did 725km. The OBC showing still another 123km to empty so how much was still inside. i must have been driving on fumes.
Even if there was 4L still inside that would mean nearly 56L inside the tank.

Or have I missed something here??

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, the US owners manual states "About 13.5 gallons"...don't know why they don't know exactly since they built the thing...but that equates out to "About 51.1 liters". I suppose it holds a bit more...maybe "about 14 gallons or 52.99 liters"

#6 ·
One possible reason they do not know exactly could be due to a large percentage of people overfill their gas tanks...

I can see the calamity that would cause when someone who thinks their gas tank is 13 gallons puts in 13.5 from over filing the tank. They would probably try to sue the gas station, or post something nasty on the net saying that you should never buy gas from say Shell or BP or where ever they bought gas from because their pumps are wrong... Then some people may even think the gas station had the legal justification to take action against Chrysler. See the dirty web being woven here?

The tank it self is probably 13 gallons but with people overfilling they fill the neck of the tank too which then probably adds about half a gallon. But to save all the trouble and finger pointing they just say "About 13.5 gallons" to be safe.

#4 ·
Empty tank?

Hi!

You were probably pretty low on fuel, is my guess. I tried something similar, not too long ago. Only I didn't make it to the fuel pump ('bout 150m short when I was out of kinetic energy :icon_rolleyes:), so a little push was involved...:doh:. Entirely my own fault & stupidity, for ignoring the warning signs, so I learned my lesson. Anyhow, I filled 55L of diesel into the 51L tank.

PatriotDriver

#5 ·
So it actually is about 14.5 US gallons then. Good to know.

#7 ·
A study was done over here in Canada recently which found a fairly large percentage of gas pumps were faulty and were not pumping the right amount of gas into vehicles as they claim they were (the error was typically in favour of the gas station, not the consumer). The following is based on my typically faulty memory, but I seem to believe the percentage of faulty pumps was something like 10% and the overcharge was typically about a dollar a fill.

#10 ·
Besides being the size of a thimble...

My experience with cars is that the size they state is what it is when they have it programmed to hit "empty", and once you hit "empty" you typically have between 1-2 gallons of gas (anywhere between 25 and 50 miles worth).

The reasoning for this, at least what my guess is, is that 1) the fuel senders are not super accurate, so it accounts for slop in them, 2) lawsuit avoidance, that people will drive it to the very edge of empty and if they didn't get exactly 13.5 gallons, they'll be unhappy, and 3) accounting for those people who drive to the bitter end, and will strand themselves on the side of the highway, giving them hopefully enough buffer to get to a gas station.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.