Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Rear Break squeak

14K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Ignatz 
#1 ·
Everytime I let off of the brake pedal I hear a very annoying squeaking noise coming from the rear brakes. Has anyone else had this problem? I have asked 2 different dealerships and both say its "normal" and its the design of the brakes. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Squeeky brakes are sometimes just because of the metallic pads or oxidation on the discs themelves.

Anything significantly loud, pulling to one side or shuttering should be checked straight away. In some cases a visual check can be made as you can see the discs yourself.

Some shops will check them for free if you do some investigating (i.e. in the hopes if you do need servicing they will get your business)

#3 · (Edited)
From what Ive witnessed so far, it works like this.

If your vehicle is under 36,000 miles:
Any and all noises, broken or missing parts, small fires, leaks, or mythological creatures inhabiting your vehicle are perfectly normal and are just part of the "design."

If your vehicle is over 36,000 miles:
Any of the above are serious issues which require immediate service action to avoid endangering and possibly killing you and your entire family and will cost no less than $1,000 per occurence. Unless said issue is related to drivetrain, in which case it is perfectly normal and just a part of the "design."

-Information taken directly from the "How to handle a customer's complaints regarding service" flowchart which can be found behind the desk at Hall Chrysler Dodge Jeep, Virginia Beach VA.

#4 ·
tell us more about

is this sound appear and disappear when you are riding slow and brake? is it a continuous noise or intermitent one? pushing or not the brake pedal?

i had a broken disc on the left rear wheel

at the beginig verry small noise and in time became big, and i had to change the disc (brake rotor)

#6 ·
When I brake hard (rarely) my rears squeak, but I think its because the rears don't get used much and rust & dust accumulate in there . . . then when they're really firmly contacted, Squeeek! That's an appropriate noise for a vehicle named Ignatz, isn't it?

#7 ·
My handbrake (drum in hat, rear main brakes are the disc portion) squeaks a bit if I drag it at low speed.
I had a warrany problem with a recurring stuck parking brake cable last year (there was water freezing in a cable). I cooked my parking brake shoes as a result of it being partially stuck. I recall having a squeaking problem at the time. Ultimately I ended up having most of it replaced under warranty.

#9 ·
answers

I have drum brakes and it only happens when I let off the brakes from a dead stop and its not the pedal itself. I had someone press the brake and it is coming from the rear drums for sure.

#10 ·
rear drum brakes huh? well then...

1- Remove drum and clean drum interior & shoes
2- Sand the shoes slightly using sandpaper, 150 steel grain
3- Sand the interior of the drum lining in circular motion to remove any linear scuffs caused by dirt and normal wear and tear. This is a common problem with drum brakes that cause squealing and knocking.
4- The shoes are mounted on steel plates. And these steel plates are set tight against the steel backing plate. And when you have steel rubbing on steel, you get squealing. You need to put a dab of lubricant where the steel touches.

It always makes me laugh when mecanics say they cant do a thing about squealing brakes :icon_rolleyes:

#14 ·
Inspection scheduled

I will be inspecting the rear brakes this weekend and will post pics if I find anything out of the ordinary. Thank you all for your help. Hopefully it just needs a little cleaning or greasing. :banana:

#16 ·
Every time I back out of the driveway I get a squeak or 2 then it is gone. Jeeps for some reason have always had squeaky brakes and nobody has been able to really do anything about it. Ceramic brake pads sometimes help and did with my old cherokee. The squeaking was so bad with that thing that it was embarrasing and unsafe. Whenever I would start driving after the vehicle had been sitting for a number of hours, they would grab so much when the pedal was applied that I would almost go out the windshield and the vehicle would come to a screeching halt. Like I said, very embarrasing.

#17 ·
I had similar issue. I first thought that it was the brake pedal coz it squeaked when I pressed or released the pedal even when the vehicle was not moving. It turned out to be the rear brakes, initially the right one, then both left and right. I opened the drums and vacuum cleaned the dust,... things are normal now. I still suspect though that it's due to some kind of metal wedge connected to the hand brake cable in the brake assembly that rubs the inner structure of one of the shoes.

#19 ·
Updating my previous contribution. Ignatz is now past 120,000 miles and I've had both the rear brake pads (first) and more recently the front brake pads replaced. The squeak has gotten worse with new brakes. Work was done by the dealer using mopar parts. What can I tell you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.