Jeep Patriot Forums banner

2009 Pat that won't start - any solution?

23K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  sanpedrodave 
#1 · (Edited)
Just like in a past forum, I have a Pat that starts great the first time I get into it for the day and then, after I stop the engine at my first destination, get back in and try to restart it, it won't turn over. If I wait 5 minutes or keep trying to start it (which is taxing the starter) it finally turns over again.

This is happening more and more frequently and is getting really annoying since I'm a real estate agent and cannot function without a reliable car.

I've had it to the dealership and got the same old, "can't find anything wrong" and, "bring it in next time," only to have them say they can't find anything wrong again. ... the low juice on the battery may be clearing any usable data?

No, I'm not going to do my own diagnostics. My job already paid for the warranty, now it's their job to fix the problem.

My question: Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem?

#3 ·
Ok, this could be acouple of things, which hooking the car up to a diod will not point out because if the problem isn't occuring when the car is hooked up to the computer then it won't show up as a problem.

I am going to need some more information about what your car is doing when the problem occurs. When you get in and turn the key is there a clicking sound coming from under the hood? Is the motor turning over very slowly like when starting an old car on a dead battery? Is the car making no noise at all. Be very specific as to what is happening. The more information you give me the better.

#4 ·
It's the most basic model you can buy. 2wd, doesn't even have power locks (which I regret most hardily)

It never happens the first time I get into the car for the day. It happens the second time I try to start it, like after running into the store for a few moments.

It makes the standard noise a car usually makes like it's trying to start but doesn't have the giddy-up to do so - so, yes, like an old car with a crappy battery.

Does the noise seem like a slow attempt? No. It feels like it's really trying but, it just won't catch and start.

#6 ·
PCM

Last Summer we had a similar.....issue with out Pat. Same thing was happening to us. Would stall, but not hold a code in the history and seemed to never do it for the dealer. Finally I got frustrated, and dropped it off at the deal at night (right in front of the door, with a note on it "FIX IT OR KEEP IT")

Anyway, it stalled for the mechanic with the computer hooked up on his way home with it that night. WOOHOO!!

It end up being the process control module (PCM). It was under warranty as it was only a year one. My wife kept saying to people that the Pat was "brain dead" which I guess it was.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but any info is good info in my book..Good Luck!

Igor

#9 ·
Your battery is not producing enough power to crank your engine after your engine has created high compression levels. When you let the car sit over night, it slowly decreases the ammount of compression inside of the engine. When you get in it first thing in the morning and it fires right up. However, after driving it for a little while then turning it off your engine has built up and stored up compression this makes it harder for you weak battery to turn over your engine. Your battery isn't dead so when they test it, it tests ok.

I have an old car that builds and stores so much compression that even a fully charged battery turns it over very slowly. When you get into your Jeep, turn the key to the on position and let it sit for about 30 seconds before trying to start it, then press the gas pedal all the way to the floor three times (quick pumps). Then attempt to start your jeep.

If this doesn't work let me know. You still need to take your vehicle in to the dealership, but this should release some of the compression so you can start your jeep.

Reactions: sanpedrodave
#23 ·
Your battery is not producing enough power to crank your engine after your engine has created high compression levels. When you let the car sit over night, it slowly decreases the amount of compression inside of the engine. When you get in it first thing in the morning and it fires right up. However, after driving it for a little while then turning it off your engine has built up and stored up compression this makes it harder for you weak battery to turn over your engine. Your battery isn't dead so when they test it, it tests ok.

I have an old car that builds and stores so much compression that even a fully charged battery turns it over very slowly. When you get into your Jeep, turn the key to the on position and let it sit for about 30 seconds before trying to start it, then press the gas pedal all the way to the floor three times (quick pumps). Then attempt to start your jeep.

If this doesn't work let me know. You still need to take your vehicle in to the dealership, but this should release some of the compression so you can start your jeep.
See this 10 years late but post make a lot of sense. My 2009 is doing same thing. After running for a while hard starts and funny symbols on dash (throttle valve, anti skid). I'll try the 3 pumps method.- then to jeep dealer for PCM.

#10 ·
Could proly be any of the things mentioned above ... but you could also try a simple thing - take off the battery clamps and clean them (and the battery terminals) with a brass wire brush, then tighten everything back well again. Might be just oxidised contacts which won`t let enough power pass to the starter.

#11 ·
ddcameron: I saw this same problem on a Saturn. The trouble was a faulty crank position sensor. The sensor tells the computer that the engine is turning over fast enough to start and then the computer enables the ignition module to fire the spark plugs. The reason it starts cold is that the sensor is affected by heat and becomes intermittant when heated. My sisiter-in-law paid a ton of money in parts that did not fix the trouble until she found a automotive technician who knew what they were doing. The hint was that it would start cold but not hot and not do it every day.

#12 ·
Thanks so much everyone for the insight and robi454, I will definitely take your advice and see if it's a compression issue.

I'm bringing a copy of this thread with me when I take it in on Monday. It may irritate them but, if one of these suggestions is right, at least they'll know what to do if it happens to someone else.

I will report back when/if they tell me what they think is wrong.

:)

#15 · (Edited)
whatever, still sounds like it could be the problem. Seen it many times, luck of the draw when the starter hits the bad winding... could be every day, could be every stop where to you turn it off... But hey its the internet, everyone is RIGHT ya know... You're right. that's not the problem. You fix it then.

Oh I see, you want me to Re-Read his problem that is 5 posts down in the thread, not the "first" post with none of the "information" in it...

#17 ·
The problem is that the only way for them to figure out what is causing the problem, they have to hook the vehilce up to a computer get the problem to happen so that the computer will tell them what the problem is. A Mechanic can tell you what the problem is, but the computer has to tell the dealership mechanic what the problem is before they are allowed to tamper with your vehicle.

I'm sorry to hear that they couldn't get your Patriot to replicate the problem so they could solve it for you. I once had a 91 Pontiac Bonniville that would refuse to start when the temp dropped below 31F, I couldn't figure out why, took it to a mechanic friend of mine and everytime he hooked it up to the computer it started everytime, even in 0F. I think that some cars know when they are hooked up to the computer. Kind of like if your boss put up security cameras to monitor productivity. When your being watched you work better. If it increases in frequency, take your Patriot back to the dealership. I Know that you are not the only person with this problem, eventually it will get fixed.

BTW did you get the lifetime extended warrarnt? I know it doesn't matter now I was just curious.

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks

Yes, hopefully somewhere, some mechanic will discover and fix this glitch. Until then, the service departments in the area are going to get sick of seeing me walk into their shops.

No lifetime warranty, just the 3 year. But, it'll be paid for by then so, even though I usually like to drive my vehicles til-death-do-us-part, maybe it'll be a new Jeep for me, anyway. :eek:

#20 ·
I've had a similar problem with starting issues, I'll drive the jeep to the store, 10 mins later get back into the jeep, go to restart it and the whole dashboard goes dead and engine doesn't even move. I remove the negative battery terminal wait 20 seconds, reattach it, and it starts back up as if nothing happened. I've called the dealership and they have never heard of this problem. They suggested it may be a battery terminal problem. As the computer will crash if it doesn't get 100% power at the time you turn the key. I cleaned the terminals and hasn't happened in the 3 weeks since I did it. I plan on getting a new battery anyways as all signs point to not enough electrical power, and is messing the computer up. Those stock Mopar batteries have a bad reputation and don't deliver much juice.

#21 ·
robi454, I'm having a similar problem, and some of the scenarios you mentioned are what is happening.

The car sat for a week and now won't start. All the lights and radio come on, but trying to start the car produces only a clicking sound. The dash lights do not dim. I'm trying to locate the starter to hit on it while trying to start, but I can't find any pictures that tells me where it is.

2009 Jeep Patriot

Thanks for any help.

#22 ·
BAD AUTO SHUT-DOWN RELAY - OMRON# G8HE-1C7T-R1-DC12 / 2361A13

Mine at 120K miles was hard starting one day, then a few days later just cranked without starting. There is a relay box buried underneath the battery where it can be found, according to my mechanic. Jeep starts fine after relay was replaced. Hope this helps someone...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.