Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Squeak in back FINALLY solved!

98K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Megawatt7 
#1 ·
As some of you may recall, months and months ago, I had a problem with squeaking from the rear of the Patriot, and a rattle in the front. The rattle was solved by changing the clip to the front shield, but the rear squeak was *supposed* to have been solved by greasing up some parts back there -- I am assuming that they didn't find any damage indicating other problems.

It didn't work. The squeak remained and I just didn't have time to take it back to the dealer to get it looked at. I found the time, and they found the problem. It was the damn emergency brake cable. I guess it was loose or something. Was a simple fix and under warranty.

(Knock on wood because I haven't driven it enough to be 100% sure but so far no squeak in situations that typically cause it)

So for those of you out there that hear a little squeak over bumps, slow turns, reversing, it is NOT normal. Either that emergency brake cable is not right, or you need to change something else.

#3 ·
Wow. Just read your thread on it. So far just "fixing" the emergency brake cable has done the job. My ride feels better too. I don't know if that creaking/squeaking noise was causing me to feel like the car was falling apart, but it felt better driving.

I don't know how long I'll keep this thing. It's been over a year but I can see the problems coming. I barely have any miles on mine...

#4 ·
I've had my Jeep in the dealership three different times trying to figure out the noise coming from the front end. I've told them it only happens when I am going slow over bumps. It normally happens in the morning when my Patriot has been cold for a while. I never hear anything when I am going faster roughly the speed limit. I've had them check everything from the sway bars to the ball joints and they have said they don't see anything wrong.

They wanted me to bring it in at night time so they can test it out first thing in the morning to see if they can get it to make a noise. I'm hoping that they find out whats wrong and get it fixed.

Have any of you found that it only made a noise in the morning? or after your Patriot has been sitting for a while?

#5 ·
Yes. I always noticed more noise early in the morning or late at night, when it's colder and been sitting. I also had more creaking when backing into my driveway at slow speeds, or slow turns.

Tell them to check the emergency brake cable -- if they haven't already. They removed the bracket, adjusted it, and reassembled.

#7 · (Edited)
No clue. All my paperwork states is that, "Tech found cable causing noise. Tech removed bracket, adjusted, blah blah..."

All they told me in person was that it was the emergency brake cable, and that it was hitting stuff. *Shrug* Whatever they did has worked so far. I'm going to do a real test drive soon.

#8 · (Edited)
Mine squeaks in the morning and it almost sounds like a stuck brake pad or something, a faint "squeak squeak squeak squeak." I don't notice it when its warmed up. I'm wondering if its the e-brake cable now too

#17 ·
Just so everyone knows, if you get aftermarket wheels on I would check the rotors in the rear... This is the first thing i noticed on mine right after i got my wheels put on and mistook it for the brake pads needing done (which they did too). but it started off almost how you all are presenting it, a little tick tick tick in the rear when lightly apply brakes and then kind of goes away after you press harder. My rotors were being bent/crushed and were causing uneven/abnormal pressures and making noise. I even did what some of you did and took it into the dealer to get it looked at and they told me my brakes were fine (3k miles later my front brakes were so low i was rubbing rotor). Anyway, check out the rotors if you have aftermarket wheels, inspect the spot where the wheel hits the rotor. (see pic) Just something to be aware of.

Attachments

#11 ·
MB, you should consider having the tech sit in the passenger seat while you drive, so you can replicate the driving scenarios that cause the creak.

As for me, I let the Patriot sit around for a while and waited until it got cold. I took it for a drive on roads that usually cause the most creaking/squeaking and I found 95% of the noise to be gone. No more creaking at slow speeds, on turns, backing into my driveway, going up or down MOST hills, but I still get a quick creak if I hit multiple bumps at once, or head onto/off a "ramp" such as going from a gas station to the street. Overall, it's WAY better.

The only problem now that I can't hear any creaks, is I'm noticing noise coming from other areas...

#12 ·
Update**

I dropped off my Patriot last night and dropped my keys in the after hours box. I noted that the cause could be the emergency brake cable. This morning when I went to go pick it up. The service manager brought me back to where they were working on other cars and I talked to the technician that worked on my Patriot. He said that they took it out for a test run and didn't hear any noise. They put it up on the lift and checked everything out and could barely make any noise. The technician said he pulled on the brake line and there it went. The loud noise I had been complaining about had been found. He said he would've checked that earlier but they haven't had a problem with it making noise since previous models. They said they lubricated the line and it seemed to fix it. After leaving the dealership I went by a local grocery store which for some reason has several speed bumps in front of it. It didn't make a noise until I hit the last bump. It wasn't as loud as before but barely still there. I guess the true test will be after a few days.

It's times like this that I am so glad that there is a forum where we can share ideas about different problems. I really think they would have told me they didn't find anything wrong if I didn't have asked them to check the brake line.

Thanks MoeBucks for letting me know to ask about that. Hopefully they fixed it this time.

#13 ·
I'm glad it's working out for you MB. I did another test drive today and this seems to be the fix we've been dying for. I still get a very small creak on certain bumps, and I noticed if I take a curve at moderate speeds I get a little creak, but it's NOWHERE near as loud and frequent as it was before. Now I hit most bumps and don't hear a sound.

#14 ·
Some familiar experiences.

I am in the process right now of a complete brake overhaul. $900. All new pads, rotors, brake hardware, and emergency brake shoes.

I have gotten 51,500 out of the brakes. I have always had a small squeky noise from the back of the vehicle, because it was status quo it made it hard to hear the little metal noise indicator that new pads were needed.

Also my emergency brake cable is so stretched out I can pull it almost all the way up with just 2 fingers and light pressure.

Overall, I can't complain, over 50,000 and a complete overhaul is money well spent as I have the lifetime on the powertrain.

Since the pat is so dependent on the brakes for a number of function other than stopping I feel pretty good about this repair.

#15 ·
I've had my 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport since July 2012 new with 13 miles and 1 year later it has just under 17,000 miles. It has been in the shop 4 times for squeaky noises from the brakes starting at around 11,000 miles. My Jeep dealer replaced the front disk pads and rotors with glaze on pads after I contacted Chrysler Jeep and complained about excessive noise. Chrysler Jeep even paid for car rental for two days.

This last week with 16,909 miles excessive squeaks are even worse. This time there was excessive brake dust in rear drums with some glazing on shoes. The dealer this time for Customer Goodwill changed the rear drums and drums. Has anyone else had brake issues like this? I have turned the esc off each time I start the engine to see if this might make make a difference. Any suggestions? I hope I don't have these issues again after the 3 year warranty is up. Would be interested if any other patriot owners have had issues like this.

#16 ·
Funny that you mention this in my old thread, because I have just around as many miles on you (on my third year, however) and I'm starting to notice squeaking when I hit the brakes. It's pretty loud. I might have to get it checked out before my 3 year warranty is up in a few months.

#18 ·
Hi!
Can you please elaborate on the front rattle and the fix?
What shield and clip are you talking about?

Many thanx in advance.

#19 ·
This was so long ago, I don't even remember too much. I don't think my dealer records elaborates either.

I recall them telling me that on the passenger side, whatever shield is there had a broken clip and it was causing it to swing freely. I guess they replaced it.

#21 ·
Rear End Noise

So I have this well-maintained Patriot with only 46k miles on it. Never been off-road...would never even consider it. I started with front suspension problems at 31k...needed new lower control arms...repaired under warranty. There was Jeep bullentine about this. Something about wrong torque at factory. Now there's rear end problems. Some thing with the torque issues but now it's out of warranty. Nice. They want $700 at the dealer to fix it...bushings, stabilizer bar end link etc. I called Chrysler Jeep and they couldn't have given a crap. This is my third Jeep and my last. The first were trouble too. I could have bought other similar vechiles in the price range but always liked the Jeep style. My mistake. THIS IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP I HAVE EVER OWNED. Jeep should be ashamed of themseleves.

Chrysler/jeep: rear stabilizer bar end link nut torque. vehicles were shipped with rear stabilizer bar end link nuts incorrectly torques. *pe 2010-01-13

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/car/jeep-patriot/suspension/#ixzz2fkMopWAe

#22 ·
So I have this well-maintained Patriot with only 46k miles on it. Never been off-road...would never even consider it. I started with front suspension problems at 31k...needed new lower control arms...repaired under warranty. There was Jeep bullentine about this. Something about wrong torque at factory. Now there's rear end problems. Some thing with the torque issues but now it's out of warranty. Nice. They want $700 at the dealer to fix it...bushings, stabilizer bar end link etc. I called Chrysler Jeep and they couldn't have given a crap. This is my third Jeep and my last. The first were trouble too. I could have bought other similar vechiles in the price range but always liked the Jeep style. My mistake. THIS IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF CRAP I HAVE EVER OWNED. Jeep should be ashamed of themseleves.

Chrysler/jeep: rear stabilizer bar end link nut torque. vehicles were shipped with rear stabilizer bar end link nuts incorrectly torques. *pe 2010-01-13

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/car/jeep-patriot/suspension/#ixzz2fkMopWAe

AMEN! :notworthy:

#23 ·
Noise Still There

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got it back from the dealer. They replaced the struts, bushings and toe links. Noise is still there. PLUS now the alignment is out. I know it's the thrust angle. What a bunch of crap. It is probably easier to leave this hunk of junk somewhere with the keys in it.

#26 ·
I know this is an old thread but I've had the same front end problem as well. The dealer replaced the struts, arm bushings, etc all under warranty. The noise stopped for awhile and then it came back within 1 month and of course it was out of warranty. I gave up...I thought when it breaks I'll fix it.

So I had a can of WD-40 with me when I replaced the rear wiper (used it to loosen the arm). I thought while I had the WD-40 I'd squirt some on the sway bar bushings. When I was pulling myself up from under the car I used the fender and it creaked like the front end. I pushed on it a bunch of times and zeroed in on the turn signal assembly. I shot some WD in and around the light and it stopped creaking. I drove it all day without any noise. I'll let you all know if it helped.

#27 ·
Mine has just started creaking now as well... out of warranty by two months, 24,000 miles. I get creaking sounds from the rear over bumps, turning corners, and even accelerating from a stop to 15-20 mph or so. I'm not due for an oil change for sometime and don't feel like making a special visit just for that (no jeep dealership within 45 miles). My wife's suggestion was to turn the radio up louder. *sigh*

#31 ·
I have a 2015 patriot and after going over a speed bump a lil harder than I should have I now have a squeaking noise that occurs while driving. It squeaks in unison with the wheels spinning and the squeaking slows as the car slows down.. with the spinning wheels. I wonder if its this ebrake issue. Of course nobody is able to hear it but me as usual lol. I am gonna bring it in and have it looked at. I'm glad I found this thread.

#32 · (Edited)
2015 Jeep Patriot.. same sound, no fix.

I too heard a squeal as I reversed to the left or right and applied my brakes on my 2015 Jeep Patriot. Took it to the dealership, after much hesitation they took a look at my e-brake cable. I did provide the info below, printed and everything and said it could be the pads too. I recorded the noise presented it as well, they thought it was the rear brakes. At the end, the mechanic replicated the sound. Apparently he checked the e-brake cable and said it was fine (they also forgot to re-connect it :icon_rolleyes:) So back I go for that. They resurfaced the rear brake pads. As soon as I got out of the dealership the car made that sound again. The car only has 3K miles on it which is a bit irritating. I pretty much gave up on trying to fix whatever is causing the noise.

#33 ·
Ahhhh I'm soooo glad I found this post........ I've printed it out and it's coming with me so I can throw the papers at my Service Manager ....... Ive taken it in now 3 separate times since Mid July for the famous squeak........ Each time including the last where I had to leave it over night ( keep a eye out for tranny pan leaks on your 2015's ) and they said it didn't squeak for them so they didn't go any further with it....... Now with this thread and the comments from my fellow Jeep Owners I can "bust their chops" a bit more...... I hate going into service departments being treated like a idiot.... Being a lady they think I'm dumb.... Soooo not dumb....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.