Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Shift knob

60K views 65 replies 50 participants last post by  dsoshea1 
#1 ·
Anyone take their stock shift knob off?

I have a hurst t bar shift knob that i want to replace the OEM one with, I can't figure out how to remove the stock one.

#2 ·
Just pull straight up on it. Takes a bit of hoss to get off and I will warn you to be careful since I ended up busting my lip when the thing finally came off and my hand flew into my lip:mad:

#4 ·
Yes. Just give it a mighty yank! I replaced mine with a round knob. Something I can wrap my fingers underneath. If need be, you can run a 1/2" fine, die over it. It is hard as heck to get it started though. The rod is chromed and the top of it has a flat side.

#19 ·
Remove Gear knob

I just removed my 2010 gear knob.
As mentioned earlier grasp the hour glass shaped black moulding just under the main knob and oull downwards. It pops over a groove in the shift arm.

Unfortunately the upper knob is press fit over knurled shift arm so prize off the crome plastic shift top with the gear directions the hack saw across the top till you feel metal. Then do from top groove down two sides and prize open revealing the Knurled metal.
Now fit the new knob per their instructions (usualy press fit or crub screws thr a cylinder over the shift (arm).

Once you fit the new knob pull up the plastic hour glass snug under the knob and bobs yer uncle :D:pepper:

#22 ·
No magic involved---shift knob just pulls off with a mighty tug!! It will come off with a bang so dont have your face in the way , or you might knock your teeth out.

Dont try this with the 6 speed CRD lever , as this had a reverse lock-out collar fitted,

#33 ·
Pics? I have a 5 speed and I was just about to ask about a pistol grip type shifter. I do want a shorter throw too.. I don't like the throw of it.

#24 ·
And the switch is good for multi-years too!
I had a grip on my 08 Pat and didn't want to part with it so I told the dealer I was going to trade him. He wasn't sure I could so I just walked out to the lot where the new and old Pats were side by side and gave the new one a good yank. Off it came and I did the same to my old grip and I switched them out right on the spot. Easy Peasy.

#28 ·
Yep, just give it a good tug. I replaced my stock handle with the nice one from the Compass. It pulls right off and the new one slides right on.
No magic involved---shift knob just pulls off with a mighty tug!! It will come off with a bang so dont have your face in the way , or you might knock your teeth out.
Much appreciated fellas. So a little update on my end...

I've ordered the Mopar T-Handle shift knob to give my Jeep a more muscle look. I've always been an american muscle guy [first car was a 2006 Ford Mustang] and I am stuck on the T Handle.

Before I can replace the shifter, I need to install my dash/trim kits. I've ordered a complete Real Carbon Fiber dash and interior trim kit for my Pat to give the dash and interior a little zaz.

Once the dash kit is installed it's fair game for the shift knob.

These are expected to arrive after New Years so when they come, I'll have the pics for you guys!

#29 ·
I have to agree, there are only 2 shift knob shapes I would want. The T handle and the ball. for the manual transmission, I like the basic sphere. The stock handle was totally wrong for the 5 speed.

#36 ·
Mopar T-Handle

Just installed the Mopar T-Handle shift knob on my 2011....it fit no problem with no modifications....just pulled the old one off and popped this one right on and tightened it up!

Attachments

#39 ·
I had a B&M Ratchet shifter with T-Handle on my first muscle car...but it was a twelve year old, 1976 Camaro Type LT...DOH! I feel old now...
And you think that makes you feel old, lmao. I had been in the Army a couple years before that car was on the dealer's lot.

But those were some fun times if you were into muscle cars. Most of the guys I knew had T handle shifters. You do get used to them. Although most cars today shift pretty easily. And I sure would not be pushing these 4 bangers like we used to push those old V8's.

Some oversized ball shifters worked well too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.