Jeep Patriot Forums banner

oil change 3500 or 8000?

8K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  earyck790 
#1 ·
Yesterday my car hit 3500 miles and the oil change indicator went off... from everything I read, the manuals all said 8000 miles. which one is it? I'm very confused about when I need to change my oil.

#4 ·
I would change it.

IAW the 2011 OM, rev 6

Change Engine Oil

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is
time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance
Refer to the “Maintenance Schedule” for the proper
maintenance interval.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change
intervals exceed 8,000 miles
(13 000 km) or six months,
whichever occurs first.

#5 ·
It seems like all of the 2011 Patriots are reminding people to change it at the first 3500. If nothing else, probably because its a new engine and needs a little babying.
I would change it now

#6 ·
Yea, my first oil change reminder was somewhere in the 3500 mile range too. Now it's about every 5500 to 5800 miles (according to the reminder).

#10 ·
:soapbox:
I did my first change at 3000 miles. I'll change it again when it turns 6000 here in the next week or two. I plan to switch to synthetic oil and change it every 4000 or so after that.
It should be changed after every winter as you will accumulate moisture inside the engine due to the temperature differences. Start every winter with a fresh change of oil. So it should be changed at least twice per year regardless of how much you drive it.

In my case where I may only drive 10 to 12 thousand miles per year I can get by with two to three oil changes per year. But if you drive more you need to change it more often.

Way over 100,000 miles on every car I have ever owned tells me I'm right.

#15 · (Edited)
Not trying to be a jerk or anything here. I see similar comments to "Chrysler recommends XXX..." on a lot on auto forums in relation to what the owner's manual says about OC's and they aren't always accurate. In this case with the 6/8000 what you said is not 100% correct...

Chrysler does not actually recommend OC's every 6 months or 8,000( 2011 and newer - 6/6000 for earlier ). That is the absolute maximum time and mileage they allow for. What they actually recommend is to go by the OLM( where equipped of course )but not to exceed the max time/mileage limits if the OLM has not tripped by the time you get there.

I know that is being picky but I just wanted to point out that the time and mileage figures are not what they want you to do, per say, but ratther it is the most you can do. Big difference. To me anwyay. A lot of people would see that and think it is the normal oil change interval and thus end up exceeding it. In truth you should not exceed that time/mileage figure at all. Not under warranty anyway. Get the oil changed BEFORE you hit 6 months or 8,000 miles.

Again, it is the maximum you can do not the actual recommended change figures( on a new vehicle with an OLM anyway - 6/6000 for 2010 and earlier ). Exact wording from my 2011 manual...

2011 Patriot OM - Page 406 said:
Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Refer to the “Maintenance Schedule” for the proper maintenance interval.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months,whichever occurs first.
8,000 is really pushing it for conventional oil. Even if you ran the best brand out there. Not sure I could do that even if all my driving was easy highway miles. 8,000 on synthetic no problem.

Again, no offense was meant by this. :beerchug:

#16 ·
What the Patriot has (at least mine) is not an OLM, it's an Oil Change Indicator. It doesn't sample oil, it has no idea the condition the oil is in. It only monitors mileage and engine conditions. Best way to be sure is to have a UOA done, but even without that, 3000 miles is too soon to change almost any oil driven under most conditions these days.

#17 ·
Whatever you wish to call it they are all the same thing. I call them OLM's as a blanket term.

No oil life monitor/change indicator/whatever you wish to call them, from any mfg, actually samples and tests the oil. They are all the same basic thing. They use a mathematical formula to determine when the oil "should "be changed based on various factors( rpm's, temps, idle time, etc... ).

#23 ·
My 09 Pat tripped RELIGOUSLY at 2750-2900 miles. In my 2011 I went 3000, then put in Mobil 1 synthetic. It never tripped. In the 2009 I would just do an "Old School" quality check (take a big sniff and check the color and feel), then re-set the damn thing. I started Mobil 1 in the 09 at 600 miles. No matter WHEN I changed the oil in the 09, it went off 2750-2900 after I reset it. That piece of kit may be ok for people who need to look at the manual to understand how to open the hood, but I dont trust it, dont believe it, and wont use it.

#25 ·
Mine hasnt went off yet. I dumped the factory oil at 3000 and only have 5500 on it now.

#26 ·
5500 in a FDII and still no indicator eh? At least now I know its possible. I'm at about 15,000 miles now, and it has been right around every 3500 that I get the minder. Pretty annoying when I drive it easy and run full synthetic

#27 ·
If your OLM's are tripping that early something is not right or you guys are driving in a way the OLM does not perceive as easy like you claim. Just no reason for it to go that early if you all drive so easy( that is simply meant as a factual statement not an insult or question of truth ).

If that were happening to me I would be inclined to have a UOA or 2 done to see how the oil is holding up. Do the OC when the OLM trips to check to see if it really is as worn as the OLM thinks it is. If it is then go by the OLM. I would doubt even conventional oil would be done by 3500 these days though.

If the UOA shows plenty of oil additive life left(TBN) and wear numbers are good then ignore the OLM and go by the max allowed for change interval in your owner's manual if you have any warranty left to deal with. If not use the UOA to come up with an OCI schedule that works with your engine.

If the OLM was not accurate I would do as follows( again if I had warranty to preserve otherwise I would base it off the UOA results )...

2010 and earlier models:
Ignore the OLM( reset it when it kicks on at 3000-3500 )and go to 6 month/5000 mile OCI's for conventional - OR - 6 month/6000 mile OCI's for synthetic if you want to try and grab the extra miles( I would just do 5K period as it is easier to remember but... ). Those 2 OCI's fall within the 6/6000 max allowed for from Chrysler and are warranty safe OCI's.

2011 and newer models:
Ignore the OLM( reset it if it kicks on at 3000-3500 )and go to 6 month/5000 mile OCI's for conventional oil - OR - 6 month/8000 mile OCI's for synthetic oil. Those OCI schedules falls within the 6/8000 max allowed for from Chrysler for 2011 and newer models and are warranty safe OCI's.

#28 · (Edited)
I definately don't drive the Patriot hard. I rarely go more than 3,000 rpms and generally don't go past 2500 when accelerating. I have been doing more city driving, but its been gentle city driving without long stops. The only thong I can think of is, during the summer months when waiting for long periods of time I would turn off the engine, then switch the key back to the "on" or "run" position to get the cabin air blower going. During this time the engine is off, but I notice the estimated range of the EVIC slowly (and falsely) increasing. Maybe the Oil Change Indicator things the engine is on when its not?

When the light comes on, I check and oil on the dipstick is still pretty light in color. Since I'm running synthetic, I just go to 5,000 miles between changes and after I get above 15,000 miles on the odometer, I'll probably go to 8,000 miles for oil changes

#29 ·
Just did my first change this past Saturday with Mobil 1 Full synthetic.Light didnt come on and my mileage was approx 3100km (~2000 miles). Thinking I will do them from here on out at approx 8000KM (~5500 miles). That should be often enough. Will not be doing any heavy off roading....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.