Jeep Patriot Forums banner

How often do you change your oil?

20K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  Pacerized 
#1 ·
I think the manual says to change it every 6 months or 6,000 miles, but I could be wrong. I know the oil change places like it to be done every 3,000 miles, but I think that is total horse---t.

#5 ·
I do it about every 3K because it is, give or take... every three months... and for $20 a pop an oil change is nothing, especially when it 'feels' better after.... and I like that. Next oil change will be synthetic, so it'll be a little more expensive, hopefully it'll give me some more distance in my gallon

#7 ·
Though I just got my jeep (like 2 weeks ago), all my past vehicles got their oil and filter changed every 6k-7k. I always go with Amsoil full-synth 0w-20.

For this jeep, I plan on using Amsoil full-synth 0w-30 and amsoil filters. I have no idea what intial oil is in the car from the factory, so I plan on doing my first oil change at 3k.

It's a bit more expensive, but OCI from 3k to at least 6k helps offset the cost a bit.

I used to use mobil1 0w-20, but they recently changed their full-synth formula reducing their standard. Amsoil all the way now.

#8 ·
I agree with 5000-8000 km (3000-5000 miles). Similar to what others have said, it is relatively cheap insurance. Currently I am using Mobil1 5w30 Extended Performance.

Keep in mind the 10,000 km fill duration falls under schedule "A".

Schedule "B" in your maintenance guide shows 5000km (roughly 3000 miles). That should be used if you encounter one or more of the following (from the Jeep Patriot Service Manual):

• Day or night temperatures are below 0° C (32° F)
  • Stop and go driving
  • Extensive engine idling
  • Driving in dusty conditions
  • Short trips of less than 16 km (10 miles)
  • More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather, above 32° C (90° F)
  • Trailer towing
  • Taxi, police, or delivery service (commercial service)
  • Off-road or desert operation
  • Heavy loading

Almost all of us fall into at least one of those categories. Especially the second last bullet !

#9 · (Edited)
6-10k miles Mobil 1. US Army motor pool changes oil based upon oil analysis. At least that is what my division did. Test reports came back fine for 10k + miles before they needed changing. And that was for SEVERE duty vehicles.

http://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/SepOct00/MS534.htm

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/02/determining-oil-change-intervals-via-analysis/

I remember reading one person who tested how long they could go - They got past 15k miles, and the wear numbers were all fine. However the original API rating of the 10w30 that he started out with had become closer to a 20w50.

And for me this is the final nail in the 3k mile "severe duty" coffin. CR did oil tests with identical NYC taxi cabs with half using drain intervals of 3k miles and the other hald using 6k drain intervals. Here is what they found after breaking down the engines:

"Even in the severe driving conditions that a New York City taxi endures, we noted no benefit from changing the oil every 3,000 miles rather than every 6,000. "

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

#10 ·
I do my Taurus, which has 149,000+ miles every 5,000 miles. It is a mail route vehicle, which mean one of the most extreme conditions you can put to a vehicle. Start and stop everyday for 700 mailboxes. I use Castrol GTX. I never understood the every 3,000 miles on regular cars, but hey...not my money. I heard from the mechanic at the Jeep dealership, that if you change the oil yourself, be sure and put in the exact oil weight as the manual (and oil cap) states or else if will void the lifetime powertrain warranty. Just what he told me, so it may or may not be true.

#16 ·
Manual schedule B. I call service appointments, take it in, say do whatever you need to do at the mileage on the odometer and please look it over from front to back, top to bottom, and I go sit down. I, thank god, have a reliable dealer and service department.

#17 ·
I change mine every 3K. But…….am thinking of going the synthetic route. Perhaps just rambling, but a mechanic once told me to let the oil drain for at least 15 minutes. Especially newer vehicles. His point was new car debris (metal filings) often is recycled by not letting the vehicle drain completely. My first change on the Patriot slipped the mechanic 5 bucks to make sure it drained longer.

Off topic a bit, I drove a new 1980 F-100 Ford 300 C.I. Straight 6 which I had incredible luck with. Back in the day, Mobil made a graphite based oil which costs 4 or 5 times more than a normal qt. of oil. It was a shortbed, but remember I got better MPG than the the sticker showed. If memory serves, Jeep used this Ford Engine too. I’m thinking of trying a synthetic in my Patriot. Any feedback welcome.

#18 ·
I changed mine at 5,000 miles the first time. Had to go back to Advanced Auto to get a purolator PureOne PL12222. The Mopar MO-090 filter they sold me wouldn't fit. The thread om MO-090 is 3/4-16 and I needed a 22mm thread as on the one I took off (04892339AA).

#21 ·
I was hypnotized for a couple seconds on the pictures of the girls showing their boobies off, thats why I decided to bump this and not a 2016 oil change thread

I've seen every 3-5 k might be best. Ive also read recently 5-10 k miles

5 k is most likely plenty for the Jeep Patriot

#23 ·
I have a little over 200,000 miles on mine and have always changed with conventional every 5k . My manual calls for a change every 6k and my new Cherokee has the gauge that can go up to 10k. Oil has improved a great deal in the past 20 years but I'm not comfortable with 10,000 changes. You will get the same 300,000 using conventional oil that you will using synthetic so IMO it's a waste of money to use synthetic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.