Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Engine Oil Change Intervals?

24K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  CHVYPWR 
#1 ·
Owner's manual says to change the engine oil every 13,000 km (8,000 miles) - every other vehicle I've owned was always 5,000 km (3,000 miles).

So why does the Patriot get additional engine oil life out of regular 5W-20 if it's not a synthetic or synthetic blend?

Interested to know, thanks.

#2 ·
Many newer vehicles have a 6000 mile change cycle. Engines are held to tighter manufacturing tolerances, produce less heat and wear, and generally last longer without failure. I still change mine every 3000 miles. Although I'm beginning to wonder if that is necessary. If you are not going to keep the car 30 years and drive it 700,000 miles, changing the oil more often is just peace of mind, not necessity.

#3 ·
ME TOO???

Hello DOOGALS,

I just picked up my Patriot last weekend and I never asked about service intervals. The book says 8K but I think that is the maximum. From my research this vehicle determines the proper interval all on it's own. Based on many parameters that are run through the ECC like driving style, temp etc... There is another thread here that has lots of good info. You can use the search function to find it. Good Luck with the vehicle.:)

#4 · (Edited)
As RalphFR stated, there is a oil change indicator. I have the 2008 model which had a 6000 mile/6 month interval or when the change oil indicator lights up, whichever occurs first. I average 5300-5800 miles per change depending on how and where I drive (it's always towards the lower end if the wife drives it a lot). Mine just went off again at 56,000 miles and my last change was 50,400 so I got a good 5600 miles out of the last change.

And just fyi, all 5W-20 oil is either a synthetic blend or full synthetic. There isn't any 5w-20 pure conventional oil (from what I have read on numerous forums and websites).

#7 ·
And just fyi, all 5W-20 oil is either a synthetic blend or full synthetic. There isn't any 5w-20 pure conventional oil (from what I have read on numerous forums and websites).
I think "maybe" you are confusing 0W-20 with 5W-20. There is no 0W-20 conventional oil( that I have ever seen anyway ). Initially 0W-20 was only available in full synthetic but there are now a couple blends. 5W-20 is definitely available, and always has been, in conventional oil however. The OEM oil( MOPAR )is conventional oil( used to be Mobil but believe it is now SOPUS ).

All the major brands( Castrol, Pennzoil/Quaker State, Mobil, Kendall, Valvoline, etc... )offer 5W20 conventional oil.

#6 ·
I change mine every 5,000 miles. It is easy to remember.

#8 ·
1) - 6 months/8000 miles is the MAXIMUM time you can run the oil. It is not the actual recommend oil change interval. Chrysler( Jeep )actually says to go by the Oil Life Monitor and change when it says to. If it does not trip by the 6/8000 however then you must change the oil( warranty compliance ).

2) - the days of the 3 month/3000 miles oil change interval are finally going away( thank goodness ). That interval was fine and dandy in the 60's-70's when oil was of a much lesser quality. Modern oil is capable of going much longer before requiring a change. Auto mfg's are finally catching up.

Modern oils have vastly improved base stocks and additive packages that allow them to have a much longer service life. Changing a modern API certified SL/SM/SN oil before 5000 miles, even conventional oil, in a healthy engine is just a waste of resources( obviously serious hard use or contaminates from off roading etc... can change that ). If you use a quality, name brand, properly rated and certified oil in your vehicle, with a good filter, you should be able to do...

Conventional - 5000
Syn Blend - 7000
Full Synthetic - 10,000+

IMO 8000 is too long on conventional oil despite all my praise of modern oil. 5000-6000 with a premium filter is the max I would personally run any brand or weight.

#9 ·
My Peugeot 308 is every 2 years or 20.000 miles . This is for the petrol engine , I believe the diesel engine model is every 12 months or 12.000 miles ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.